Talk

Advanced search

New mum practical clothing for winter, tricks and tips or any advice?

(46 Posts)
LDNmummy Sat 24-Sep-11 15:29:44

I'm due to give birth to my first in the next week and few days and have never appreciated fashion and clothing that fits properly so much in my life.

But the most pressing thing for me as I am having an autumn/ winter baby, is practical clothing. I have always felt the cold more than most and I am terrified of having to venture out for walks with the baby in the wind, rain and snow. Having to push a pram and/ or carry a baby, juggle various bags and tid bits all at the same time means a longing to be warm, comfy and practical at all times while out and about, yet still maintaining some sense of style.

So I figure I would ask the lovely ladies of MN for clothing and fashion tips for a winter mum. Any words of wisdom would be great.

So far I figure I need a good practical coat so my first question is which of these would you get, the shorter one or longer one, or is there and even better style of coat you could recommend?

(thanks to SueNarmy for the code on the other thread!)

Are cardigans really that great?

What kind of boots for all winter wear?

Should I invest in some thermal underwear?

greedygoose Sat 24-Sep-11 15:34:07

Hood essential if pushing pram! no good juggling a brolly and a pram (and a dog in my case!) I think you would use the shorter coat more however, it looks great. Layering is key but may be a bit of a faff! Thermals always great for me but Im in the north!

A really cosy long cardi would be my best buy esp if BF.....

HTH

piprabbit Sat 24-Sep-11 15:43:46

Hoods are good, but if you find that you end up looking sideways into the side of your hood when you turn to look left (look right, look left again) and cross the road, you might find a quick drying fleece hat is better (or get used to having slightly damp hair).

Get some really good, heavy-duty gloves too - you hands will get frozen gripping the handle of your pram and pushing into the teeth of a gale/snowstorm.

Pockets in every outfit are essential (for keys, mobile, dummies etc.) indoors and out. Or a small cross-body bag might be good.

I'd go for the longer coat (will help stop your thighs and bum getting damp in the rain). I love my Landsend coat - it was an emergency buy when I realised how miserable the school run was going to be with a baby in a pram.

piprabbit Sat 24-Sep-11 15:52:38

Oh, and shoes/boots you can get on and off without having to put the baby down <remembers arriving at friends houses for coffee, them holding their baby, me holding mine, and having to kick shoes off at the door and later put them on again without using hands>.

SueNarmy Sat 24-Sep-11 15:54:36

good jeans - try top shop baxters as have give in

nice accessories
MAKE UP AT ALL TIMES - no one feels sorry for a mum having a bad day who also looks shit.

but my tip is not to try to be too much too soon - did my mental health no good. and the key is IT GETS BETTER

purpleturtletoise Sat 24-Sep-11 15:56:45

If you're BF, then my tip would be to wear a little strappy vest top underneath everything else. You can push your jumper(s) up, and pull the vest and bra down. Stops any draughts round your middle and hides your tummy. smile

piprabbit Sat 24-Sep-11 16:01:52

I'd feel sorry for a struggling new mum even if she wasn't wearing make-up blush.

SueNarmy Sat 24-Sep-11 16:02:30

i wouldnyt
or smoking gavel
or with a tattoo

Angel786 Sat 24-Sep-11 16:05:55

My Dd was a winter baby and I lived in jeans, boots, coat (so shelve got one with a hood! But went for nice bright colour) and nice scarves. Long cardis are fab too.

sleepevader Sat 24-Sep-11 16:12:36

I'm no style guru but try and find a coat that's not black.

Will make you look washed out otherwise!

bigkidsdidit Sat 24-Sep-11 16:13:52

I had a baby last January and it was all icy. I got two pairs of jeans in my new big size and wore them plus stretchy vest and cardies (easy for feeding), enormous scarf, and nice knee-lentgth wool coat. When it became APril ish I added big sunglasses. Big accessories hide babhy sick, tired eyes, everything!

Agree good warm gloves - not woolly but suede-ish (but cheap) easier for pram I found, not so slidey

I put makeup on every day, made me feel more sorted. I HATE going out looking a mess even with a new baby. JUst foundation and mascara.

If i had one this winter I'd buy one of those knee-length puffa ackets from Zara

AWimbaWay Sat 24-Sep-11 16:54:13

A pair of shoes or boots with really good grip, you don't want to be slipping on snow and ice whilst carrying a baby. Last year I bought these merrell boots, so warm and comfy and fantastic grip.

alwaysrunninginheels Sat 24-Sep-11 17:03:45

Firstly banish everything with a dry clean label for the next 10 years!!!! Then defo coat with hood. Warm warm gloves(mind you in saying that i had my first baby in sep and some weird hormone thing meant i spent that whole first winter roasting- now as someone who has spent most of life cold enough to turn blue that was a surprise)....i have a hat too as you just can't carry an umbrella. Black is a bad colour for new mums....drains you and shows up baby sick!!!! Cross body bag- if you can find one that has a key attatchment then that helps too- i have a handbag organiser that means i can get my mobile/make up and all baby stuff in some sort of order. Absolutely agree make up everyday- stuff that's easy to put on so i swear by lip glosses instead of lip stick and cream eye shadows that i can put on practically without looking and cream blusher. I always figured i found it important before and didn't want to lose that part of myself!! But good luck...hope you enjoy it!!!

LDNmummy Sat 24-Sep-11 17:04:52

I have bought a few pairs of gloves but they are not heavy duty and very slidey, will have to sort that out asap.

Good advice about the boots, had not considered having to put them on hands free, I need some short wellies maybe. I was going to get DM's for the snow but they are definitely not easy to get on and off.

I haven't worn jeans in years! I might try those Asda one's everyone is talking about.

I love the short version of the coat, but I'm also thinking about having a cold bum like pip said confused

Will have a look at the Zara jackets too.

OMG, I have the kind of nipples that burn in the cold and hadn't even thought about breastfeeding outside of my house shock Thanks for the tips on that guys!

Iggly Sat 24-Sep-11 17:17:13

That's a bit shallow Sue hmm

I had DS in October 2 years ago, so needed some decent walking for boots for when it snowed. Also used sling a lot so needed a coat which was more waterproof than warm - especially as you get warm walking with sling (or even with a pushchair).

Yy to lots of pockets - I had a bag for DS's bits then my wallet, phone and keys in a pocket. And a hood - impossible to push for long with a brolly! Or you could get a nice hat?

I started wearing leggings as nice and comfy and easy to dress up. Cardigans are ok - you could get some nice knee length chunky ones with a belt for dry milder days.

cocobongo Sat 24-Sep-11 17:22:16

i would get leather gloves for pushing the pram.

Knee length comfy flat boots- eg from Clarks- with a good sole if you are planning lots of walking.

After having my baby, I got a smart military-style jacket for autumn. The coats you are looking at will be good in winter, but you need something slightly lighter for autumn/ those days when it isn't minus 2. Getting a smarter type of jacket made me feel a bit smarter too, not so slobby!

I would suggest also getting a snood- wear it up on your head when it is raining, and wear it like a scarf when it's not. This means you don't always have to get jackets with hoods (which are always a pain because the hood is never "perfect"- sometimes they end up falling down and you are constantly hoiking them back up, also as mentioned by another poster, the stay at the same angle when you turn your head, which is annoying when you are trying to cross the road in the driving rain).

Avoid having to carry too many bags by getting a pram with decent space in the pram bag, and also getting a backpack.

LDNmummy Sat 24-Sep-11 17:30:39

My DH will be thrilled as he hates umbrellas for some reason maybe because I am constantly if accidentally knocking him in the head with mine

I'm thinking a few pairs of thermal leggings to keep my tush warm and the shorter jacket.

bumbums Sat 24-Sep-11 17:52:06

I found I was very hot for the first few months due to hormones after birth and breast feeding. Also stressing and rushing everywhere cos baby always made me late helped me stay over heated!
The breast feeding vests are definitely a must and pockets in the coat. I'd go for long sleeve t-shirt tops and thin jumpers that are easily hitched up and bunched up when feeding.

AWimbaWay Sat 24-Sep-11 18:18:53

Sue, I never wear make up, even pre-children hmm.

mummy2munchkin Sat 24-Sep-11 18:29:13

probably not going to get a v good reception but I had dd in November 08 and wore uggs most of the time, with leggings and t-shirts with long jumpers or jumper dresses on the top and a padded coat with hood. Most important thing is to feel comfy and cosy - give yourself some luxuries. Make up??? yeah I guess but before make up try and use a lovely smelling moisturiser to make yourself feel good - aromatherapy associates rose oil and moisturiser is beautiful.

nickschick Sat 24-Sep-11 18:35:55

I used a small bag that i could cross over my chest with my phone,keys, money and tissues inside - its just easier to get to than a big changing bag all the time.

My tip is bracelets on elastic so you can still look like you have made an effort but can slip them on and off and a hood with a drawstring so when you get to where your going your hair is relatively dry and not windswept.

AntPants1 Sat 24-Sep-11 18:36:07

I had a feb baby. My best buy was this

www.jigsaw-online.com/fashion/1001449/J12406/BR017/Womens/Knitwear/viscose-wool-long-drape-rib-cardigan

Yes I know it's a waterfall Cardigan. BUT it was great for draping over various parts of me when BF. I still wear mine now but belted in with a leopard print belt. Honestly it was my best buy.

I agree with the no black.

You will really loge scarves if you are BF. Great for covering up. Zara is always a great place to look.

Good luck. It really is a magical time.

motherinferior Sat 24-Sep-11 18:36:16

Can I just say quietly that you errr may not actually be back to your own size for a year few months so do remember to get stretchy things. I had a somewhat pouchy stomach for ages.

(I look quite normal now. But having said that the baby is 10.)

LDNmummy Sat 24-Sep-11 18:43:49

I thought of that motherinferior. I'm thinking to buy staple things in comfy sizes now but not do a full wardrobe overhaul.

What I am wondering is how long it takes for the swelling in my feet to go down so I can buy some shoes... or if it will go down at all! shock

motherinferior Sat 24-Sep-11 18:45:08

I have to add that you may feel very a bit knackered and vulnerable for ages. Soft stretchy things would be good.

(It wasn't my most magical time, I have to say.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now