Talk

Advanced search

Who's up for a 1940s challenge?

(15 Posts)
funnypeculiar Fri 23-Sep-11 21:08:36

I need a 1940s outfit for a party - my party so important I look fabulous smile
I'm a 10, not tall, an hourglass figure with slight pear tendencies.

Go fish....

emsyj Fri 23-Sep-11 21:15:47

How long have you got before the party? And how much do you want to spend?

I love Stop Staring... www.pinupemporium.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=191

Also the 'Peggy Would' dress from www.whirlingturban.com is really gorgeous IMO.

For genuine vintage, you can't beat www.thefrock.com but they are £££££

Havingkittens Fri 23-Sep-11 21:52:40

The Peggy Would is fabulous and on my list of things to get but unless they have your size in a ready made one it will take a little while to get one made up and sent over.

When is your party? And how authentic do you want to go? There will be lots of 40s inspired fashions coming into the shops soon.

Otherwise, some great places for 40s repro clothing are;

http://www.tarastarlet.com/

http://www.heydayonline.co.uk/

Bespoke dresses made to order... (6 week turnaround)

http://www.ablegrable.com/dress/category/custom

Seamed Stockings (and tights if you want to cheat) & undies

http://www.whatkatiedid.com/

funnypeculiar Fri 23-Sep-11 22:59:54

Oohhh, some lovely things there - love the first link, emsyj - that's very wearable as a non-40s frock too.... PArty not until November, but don't think I'm quite going to stretch to proper vintage prices smile

Havingkittens Fri 23-Sep-11 23:06:05

Thought I'd be helpful and actually activate the links I posted earlier! Sorry about the inept posting grin

www.tarastarlet.com/

www.heydayonline.co.uk/

www.ablegrable.com/dress/category/custom

www.whatkatiedid.com/

bethelbeth Fri 23-Sep-11 23:09:24

Stop staring is very very polyester though. I'm always disappointed because they look great in pictures but aren't that nice to wear.

funnypeculiar Fri 23-Sep-11 23:09:46

smile Thanks - that is much quicker. Oh, lovely stuff there too - had forgotten whatkatiedid - used to shop there pre-DC. This is going to cost me, isn't it!

funnypeculiar Fri 23-Sep-11 23:10:34

Really, bethelbeth - looks decent quality in the photos ... Bum

funnypeculiar Fri 23-Sep-11 23:18:30

The Peggy Would dress is gorgeous. Hummm.

Havingkittens Fri 23-Sep-11 23:19:10

I agree with bethelbeth about Stop Staring. The fabric is bengaline, which can look nice and flattering but I don't always think the quality justifies the rather steep price of their clothing. The same goes for some of the Bettie Page Clothing too, sadly, but at least that's more reasonably priced.

bethelbeth Sat 24-Sep-11 00:24:45

If you want the 'look' but not the price try Collectif.

Some of their dresses are quite a good heavy polyester/bengaline. (The halter dresses tend to be more flimsy.)

They seem to be very in demand though (I imagine other vintage fans have gotten wise to it) and the popular sizes go quickly although they're fairly sharp at restocking.

You can also buy collectif dresses at other shops like dollydagger etc so don't despair if there's nothing there in your size.

FWIW I have quite a large collection of faux-vintage dresses and some of the more expensive ones (ie: stop staring) aren't as nice in the flesh as the cheaper versions.

emsyj Sat 24-Sep-11 09:22:36

If you like Stop Staring but not the prices, it's cheaper to order from the US - I've bought Stop Staring from www.unique-vintage.com and paid a lot less thanks to favourable exchange rate.

The Whirlng Turban stuff is lovely quality and worth the prices in my opinion.

SheWhoMustNotBeFlamed Sat 24-Sep-11 10:01:52

Amazing websites, Emsy <feeds vintage obsession>

Havingkittens Sat 24-Sep-11 12:05:23

This is a good one too - www.pinupgirlclothing.com/

funnypeculiar Sat 24-Sep-11 22:06:36

These are all fab - I'm all excited now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now