Talk

Advanced search

Need advice about what to wear I'm hopeless at looking nice!

(13 Posts)
JackTheNipper Fri 23-Sep-11 17:50:05

I am going on a leaving do in october (restaurant then a comedy club)
I have bought This skirt and plan to wear it with some grey wooly tights do you think these boots would look nice? or a bit tarty, I'm only 5'1 so really need a bit of height, and any ideas about what to wear on the top half? I was thinking a nice top and a cream cardy.

Ijustwantnicehair Fri 23-Sep-11 18:36:57

One of the things Ive learned (from here but from real life too) is that accessories can really help. Something that fits really nicely with what you're wearing and is slightly unusual.
Not overkeen on the boots tbh but thats a personal taste thing for me - Im sure they'll be lovely on you.

VeryStressedMum Fri 23-Sep-11 18:48:07

I like the boots but not sure about the grey woolly tights, maybe something else, patterned ones perhaps? And I would wear a plain v neck short tightish jumper instead of the top/cardi combo. But that's just what I would wear smile

tethersend Fri 23-Sep-11 19:02:09

Right. I'm going to be harsh, so apologies.

That outfit will make you look like an eastern european prostitute dressed by Johnny Boden.

I'm sorry.

How about keeping the grey wooly tights and getting a cream shift dress or print shift dress also here, and some ankle boots?

JackTheNipper Fri 23-Sep-11 19:20:50

I'm not sure on the boots either will keep looking

JackTheNipper Fri 23-Sep-11 19:27:19

ha ha tethersend I'm not offended!
I really really don't suit dresses, I have no waist! and with being short if I don't have a mid line divide I look like a small child!
I need to wear the skirt as I only bought it yesterday and it looked nice.
What kind of tights were you thinking verystressedmum? do you still think grey or a different colour? I only say grey because that was the coulur that the manikin was wearing with the skirt! (seriously thats all I have taken my inspiration from!)

JackTheNipper Fri 23-Sep-11 19:29:22

Also will ankle boots or knee high boots make my legs look longer?

MrsVoltar Fri 23-Sep-11 19:34:30

Like the skirt, not the boots, sorry and no to grey tights, think black would look better, IMO.

I don't know what your figure is like but if I was to wear that skirt probably go with something like these and floaty or silky top like this, if need extra warmth then a black blazer or soft black cardi.

But I like wearing black grin

JackTheNipper Fri 23-Sep-11 19:39:34

ooooh I really like that topmrs but please correct me if I'm wrong but as a general rule (like I say I'm shit at this stuff!) I thought black and brown don't go and to go down the cream, red, grey route?
PS I love black too

MrsVoltar Fri 23-Sep-11 20:03:03

Dunno, I don't think so, quite sure I've seen pics of Alexa Chung wearing brown & black, quick google here and she's pretty stylish.

Also Charlotte Gainsbourg here, IMO, anyway.

You should take the skirt shopping with you, or wear it when you go shopping, good luck.

ps will be going to Debenhams at weekend, really like that skirt grin

JackTheNipper Fri 23-Sep-11 20:13:22

they do it in trousers as well but I live in trousers and was card maxedout restrained!

UnrequitedSkink Fri 23-Sep-11 22:54:22

How about the brown skirt and claret coloured tights? Also, you need something a bit funkier up top - a printed silk maybe? Then you can wear your cardi but take it off inside.

JackTheNipper Sat 24-Sep-11 13:07:47

mmm good idea, I'm still in favour of my cardi, so I can take it off if i get too warm.
I'm taking the skirt shopping next week to find the right top and shoes, thank you everyone for your input!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now