Talk

Advanced search

Tights for tall women - help!

(16 Posts)
doglover Fri 23-Sep-11 13:56:43

I'm 5'10" and a size 18 / 20 and am having a tights trauma!! The XL opaque tights from M & S just don't stay up: I spend all day at school hitching them up - not attractive! Do any of you know of any reasonably-priced brands that are long enough and actually stay on the waist? TIA.

doglover Fri 23-Sep-11 14:10:46

bump

thenightsky Fri 23-Sep-11 14:13:10

35in inside leg and haven't experienced that crotch round my knees feeling since discovery of Primark large tights.

doglover Fri 23-Sep-11 14:25:26

Fab! I'll try them, TNS. Many thanks.

trixymalixy Fri 23-Sep-11 15:00:15

Tesco do really long tights

MayasPapaya Fri 23-Sep-11 15:01:41

Dunno about reasonable, but Long Tall Sally do tights.

Grumpla Fri 23-Sep-11 15:07:21

Primark XL, definitely!

Or m&s maternity tights?!? I've worn mine for ages, they seem to stay up better, Whig makes me think the problem with the normal M&S ones is not so much the leg length but a short waistband-to-gusset length which obviously isn't a problem with the maternity ones!

When you're not actually pregnant you can keep your boobs warm with them though wink

doglover Fri 23-Sep-11 15:29:54

Looks like I'll be on a tights shopping spree to sus out the best! I'll get back to you in due course ................................ smile

psammyad Fri 23-Sep-11 15:49:17

Only works with boots (unless you don't mind looking like you're wearing leggings), but I find footless tights stay up loads better. If you don't want to wear thick socks with them, then ankle or knee-high tights work well.

(Normal tights with the toe seam snipped off works just as well as buying footless tights, actually a bit better as you get a teeny bit more length).

Grumpla Fri 23-Sep-11 23:57:02

Don't they ladder?

psammyad Sat 24-Sep-11 08:31:46

Nope, no laddering - they just roll at the edges a bit, I've sent them through the washing machine loads of times as well.
Have only done it with 40 denier above, mind.

IvyAndGold Sat 24-Sep-11 09:03:36

Another vote fro Primarni! I'm 5ft 9 (and a half. The half is important grin) and they have never let me down yet, especially the opaque ones!

ellangirl Sat 24-Sep-11 10:15:17

dorothy perkins have been good ime, and it's maybe worth trying evans tights too?

MrsRobertDuvall Sat 24-Sep-11 12:59:16

They are expensive, but Wolford tights are fantastic.
The satin opaques last me about 2 years...but they are £20.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 24-Sep-11 14:30:19

another recommendation for Primark XL. they do a really nice range of colours too. am currently modelling the mid-grey.

doglover Sat 24-Sep-11 17:24:14

I've popped into Primark today and bought some XL opaque tights. Too tired to try them on now but will report back later. I really appreciate all your helpful comments. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now