Talk

Advanced search

what type of coat is missing from my wardrobe?

(14 Posts)
sweetheart Fri 23-Sep-11 12:28:34

I feel the need to buy a new coat this season after having my colours done. I'd like something with a real pop of colour to brighten up the winter BUT I'm not sure what style to go for. I already have:-

a short black leather jacket - I'm not supposed to wear back but it is practical and I love wearing it on a night out.

a dull green (ish) sort of parker coat which is thigh length and has a flimsy fold away hood. It's my school run coat.

a thigh length cream belted mac, I wear it for work really - it looks rubbish with jeans (in fanct it's kind of the wrong length to wear with trousers). It's smart but not very warm

a kind of ski jacket - it's my sport coat! Football sidelines on very cold and frosty / wet mornings.

I'd like something I can wear with trousers, short skirts and long skirts so I guess I'd probably be looking for a shorter coat but I'm drawn to longer ones (quite fancy a duffle coat). I've always fancied a military one too but not quite sure I could pull off the look.

moondog Fri 23-Sep-11 12:31:07

I'm after this which has come down 25%.
I will I'm afraid have to put you into a half nelson for using the term 'pop of colour' however.

ShirleySharpeyes Fri 23-Sep-11 12:37:38

I think you need a good, warm, smart wool coat. I have my eye on a couple from Uniqlo here What season are you - there are some good ones from Autumn but not exactly bright colours. Or how about a red Top Shop duffle?. I am also in market for a good wool coat, so have been browsing, but not decided yet.

moondog Fri 23-Sep-11 12:39:54

I like this but it's grey and could i worry, look frumpy.

Don't go for a duffle.
They are so frumpy.

ShirleySharpeyes Fri 23-Sep-11 13:04:52

Agree you have to be quite cool or young to get away with a duffle. My 4 year old DD looks fab in hers! I think that grey uniqlo one has frump qualities I am afraid - although it could be useful it is a bit dull, I like the one witht eh funnel neck. But most wool coats are a bit sensible. I like this but fear it may be a bit capacious/dressing gown like.

LeBOF Fri 23-Sep-11 13:10:09

What you clearly don't have is this. You know it makes sense.

moondog Fri 23-Sep-11 17:40:24

My kids have those Lebof. Amazing what you can get away with whewn under 10.
Shirl ,that's a bit dull too eh?

NatureAbhorsAHoover Fri 23-Sep-11 19:56:50

If you're looking for colour, Reiss is doing the best reds and blues right now.

MissBeehiving Fri 23-Sep-11 20:08:14

I've been lusting after that one Shirley smile

Ignore the fact that this is sleb endorsed - I think it is quite versatile <bends over in anticipation of the cane from Mooney for using a verboten phrase> wink

moondog Fri 23-Sep-11 20:10:46

Heheh.
That camel number could look a teeny bit mumsy in ewrong hasnds I fear.

ShirleySharpeyes Fri 23-Sep-11 21:42:14

Oh god - who knew a sensible wool coat search would prove to be such a mumsy mine field. I have a lovely wool/cashmere camel coat bought for a fiver from a charity shop nearly 19 years ago, think I shall be making do with that this year!

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 23-Sep-11 22:53:08

Don't do the duffle! Bought a v expensive one a few years back, hardly wore it.

If you are unsure, why don't you try to find some second-hand contenders on eBay and buy a few?

I found a few amaaaaazing coats on there last year which will keep me going for years to come. Gorgeous navy blue Aquascutum short belted wool coat for £50, wore it loads and it will last me for years. People buy coats and get bored of them. At least you could have fun with trying out a few styles for less than buying new?

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 23-Sep-11 22:55:39

moondog the grey coat option is fine as long as you have a few colourful scarves (in your "colours", natch) to liven it up.

Do I get a half nelson for 'natch'?

moondog Sat 24-Sep-11 09:57:25

Yes I think so too.
I love a charcoal grey myself.
(No, just a jocular ruffling of hair.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now