Talk

Advanced search

Help- tash removal needed...hints and tips!! NOW PLEASE!

(24 Posts)
alwaysrunninginheels Fri 23-Sep-11 06:53:07

Yikes!!! Somehow over the last few months i have morphed into a hairier woman than i want to be! I fear i am turning into one of those woman with a tash!!! The hint being my nurse explained she had had hers threaded and i should try it!!! When the light hits my upper lip it is not a good look!!!! Now i realise why my mother had Joleen in the 70's. BUT last night my beauty writer friend was going to wax it...until she was struck down by d&v. So i am heading to Boots today to buy "something" to wax it ..........hints and tips please. SOON!!!!!

TabithaTwitchet Fri 23-Sep-11 06:58:14

Threading is the way to go imo (strokes smooth upper lip and fantastically shaped eyebrows.)

They often have a stand in department stores or shopping malls (only thing is then you are a bit visible to all the other shoppers, which might make you a bit self conscious...)

I have never been able to wax myself, always end up with bright red blotchy skin and still bits of hairs left.

gregssausageroll Fri 23-Sep-11 07:29:54

I usually wax but sometimes I have just used hair removal cream (make sure it is ok for face) and it works fine. Do it when you don't need to go out though as it can leave a red mark for an hour or 2.

Ifancyashandy Fri 23-Sep-11 07:37:32

Tabitha is correct - threading is the way forward.

Top lip can um.... smart a bit (!) but it's over very quickly and lasts for much longer than any other method. Don't bleach it - you just get a yellow 'tache instead!

And if you've got a salon in your town that is predominantly used or owned by Asian / Eastern European women - head there. They are the Don(esse's?!) of Threading.

Spamspamspam Fri 23-Sep-11 09:22:16

Threading is definately good I loved having mine done a few weeks ago. However I do think it depends where you are how much it costs. I am in Surrey and went to Debenhams and paid £15.00 for tash and eyebrows but my friend who lives in Slough gets hers done for about £8.00.

If you want to do your own a bit cheaper then buy Veet Wax Strips for sensitive skin. Cool them down a bit in the freezer but not so they are so hard that they will crack but you also don't want them too warm so they are tacky. Make sure your skin is cool also and apply some talculm powder to the area you want to wax (imho this bit is vital) not loads of talc just a fine dusting. Put the wax strips on and rip off the opposite way of the hair growth. Use the little cloth you get in the pack to take away excess wax and then apply a cooling gel - aloe vera or after wax lotion - you will have to buy this separately but is also essential.

Angel786 Fri 23-Sep-11 09:27:54

I used to sugar / wax, thread, then laser - now bleach...

If you can find a local threading place you should be able to get it threaded for less than a fiver.

talkingnonsense Fri 23-Sep-11 09:38:10

Waxing and threading great but I started to get awful ingrown hairs (any advice?) now I use nair/veet, the one for sensitive areas, and is fine but have to do it quite often.

EightToSixer Fri 23-Sep-11 09:48:48

Boots facial hair removal cream. Cheap and easy.

alwaysrunninginheels Fri 23-Sep-11 11:38:09

Ha. Went to pick up my dry cleaning and found they had a threading bar.....job done.....did smart a bit though. But was very happy driving home as despite the bright red upper lip it was sooooo good not to catch sight of those damn hairs. Feeling very smooth.....although perhaps next time i won't do it just before a business lunch as may need to trowel on the make up to cover the redness!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Angel786 Fri 23-Sep-11 15:26:06

Don't forget the aloe vera / cold cream - helps with soothing and redness...

Karbea Fri 23-Sep-11 15:33:05

Vaseline and then veet.

TheProvincialLady Fri 23-Sep-11 15:37:26

I'm glad you didn't find threading too painful. I much much prefer waxing as it is all over in a moment, whereas with threading I am wincing and weeping for five minutes. Plus the last time I had it done the threader did the whole fu manchu area and I definitely don't have any hairs there <in denial>

MrsMilton Fri 23-Sep-11 16:01:52

Can I ask, how does the hair grow back using these methods? Stubbly? Do you have to wait till you have a decent amount before you can do it again, like with waxing?

TheProvincialLady Fri 23-Sep-11 16:25:22

Not stubbly, no. My hair is very blonde so I don't notice it at all until it gets to a reasonable length (if there can be a reasonable lady moustache length, that is) - then I get it done again. I do always get red bumps a few days after waxing/threading which last a couple of days though, which is a nuisance. Any tips for stopping that?

mummy2munchkin Fri 23-Sep-11 18:57:25

waxing for me! wax appeal seems to be the only thing i can use that doesn't give me a rash - ever! (sold in boots fyi) not the one for the microwave though, has to be the one you heat up on the stove...blinking hair!! Plus is being able to do it in your own home!! Bare minerals make up can be used straight after waxing so if you need to go out can be covered up - just in case you don't want to have it threaded in the future!!

sprinkles77 Sat 24-Sep-11 14:30:19

vet wax strips for facial hair. Really work, and take a minute and job done. No heating required. They come stuck together in pairs. cut one in half first, then separate the 2 stuck together bits. use one each side. I trim the sides off the strips first, makes it less fiddly.

I wax one week and bleach the next, as after one week there is enough re-growth to notice but not long enough to wax. Not stubble though, quite soft.

Also, I find that waxing leaves me a bit red for a couple of hours, so usually do at bed time so back to normal by the morning. I love these strips so much I use them for my toes hmm and bikini line. I've used them for years.

tigercametotea Sat 24-Sep-11 14:40:54

Been waxing since I was 18, I think my skin has toughened quite a bit because of that. The redness goes away quite quickly after waxing but I normally wax that part just before I go to bed the night before so I wake up the next day with no redness. I prefer waxing though. I've tried bleaching and I didn't like the look of whitish blonde hairs on my upper lip - maybe I'm the only one who can see it and others don't notice it as much unless they actually scrutinise, but I would rather have the tash all gone than have it still there but in a different colour! As for threading, I think its a bit expensive for what it is. I grew up in Singapore, where traditionally threading is what they do to remove facial hair, and its peanuts to get it done there compared to what they charge here! I find the result of threading quite similar to what waxing can achieve anyway. I buy the cheapest Tesco own brand wax strips for sensitive skin, just trim them down to size, pull skin taut, place wax strip down, and pull it off in the opposite direction of hair growth. All done in a couple of seconds, and then soothe area with a bit of cold tap water, maybe rub a teeny bit (not too hard!) to get rid of any residual wax - normally there won't be any if the wax isn't too gooey to start off with (tip is not to heat it up too much prior to waxing and to leave wax strip to cool a bit if it is). Very little trouble all in all - though I have been doing it for so many years that's probably why.

YouDoTheMath Sat 24-Sep-11 19:42:53

Scared of wax, so I use hair removal cream although it's not for the face as I can never find one specifically for it.

The more I've used it, the less I've had to use it, iyswim.

Pancakeflipper Sat 24-Sep-11 19:45:58

those veet facial wax strips. Easy and the hairs get 'finer' over time... I have been hairy for ages...

Now for my chinny chin chin...

DizzyDummy Sat 24-Sep-11 23:59:31

I used to wax but now use (after a recommendation on MN ages ago) a bit of kit called an Epicare which basically does the same job as threading. You need to make sure it is a genuine Epicare (around £10) and it is quick and easy to do yourself and you can do it when you need it rather than going to a salon or threading bar.

marriednotdead Sun 25-Sep-11 00:11:58

After reading this yesterday, I asked for my tache to be threaded when I went to get my eyebrows done again.

OMFG, never again!
Eyes watering just remembering the pain <more of a wuss than I thought emoticon>

alwaysrunninginheels Sun 25-Sep-11 14:04:18

Ha marriednotdead i thought it would be the same as getting my other bits waxed.....fair to say it was a bit nippier....and today i am spotty!!!! Hoping the spots go soon as they are more noticable than the tash was! But i do remember being spotty after my first few ventures into waxing!!!!

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 25-Sep-11 14:24:07

Have you considered electrolysis? Had mine dealt with this way, takes a while because each session weakens the hair root until it is too weak to live. Started with weekly treatments, then fortnightly, monthly etc. Not had anything to deal with for maybe 18 years now. Money well spent, IMO.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 25-Sep-11 14:31:26

If you look on you tube you can find lots of DIY threading guides - using a loop of thread.

Took a while to get hang of and a bit of experimenting with length and type of thread (think I am using polyester cos worked better than cotton for me) but I now keep my perfect loop in my bathroom cabinet and do a little bit about once a week when some starts coming through. Also occasionally use tweezers if I her the odd follicle poking thru before ready to thread a batch of them.

Another tip...put a warm flannel on for 2.mins before threading to open pores and make less painful. Use an ice cold flanel after to close pores and help prevent spots.

Heads to bathroom reminding myself I need to do today...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now