Talk

Advanced search

Need a late 50s/early 60's outfit for evening do

(13 Posts)
ladylush Thu 22-Sep-11 21:16:08

It's a kind of "Mad men" themed thing. I had a quick look around the shops and see that there's quite a lot of vintage looking dresses so I could be in luck....but I haven't got time to try on loads of outfits. Am wondering if I should book a personal shopping session? I've got a Debenhams and House of Fraser near me.

BelleDameSansMerci Thu 22-Sep-11 21:20:21

Vivien of Holloway... Sure they do mail order - will find link.

BelleDameSansMerci Thu 22-Sep-11 21:21:53

Here you are

BelleDameSansMerci Thu 22-Sep-11 21:25:26

Sorry, that didn't answer your question... I've not had much luck with personal shoppers but would take HoF over Debenhams.

tethersend Thu 22-Sep-11 21:52:51

Here

Here

ladylush Thu 22-Sep-11 22:08:43

BDSM - love those dresses. Just wondering whether I need to go there or whether to chance ordering online. I like the red polka dot one. I've got some nice black patent t-bar heels that will go well with it.

Tethers - first one too pricey. Second one is cute but think I'd rather go for cotton as it's easier to care for.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions smile

Havingkittens Thu 22-Sep-11 22:09:40

That first one Tethers posted is on here for £65, along with some other possibilities

pinup-parade.com/shop/dresses.htm

Some cute stuff here too

dollydagger.co.uk/

ladylush Sat 24-Sep-11 22:11:11

Havingkittens - thanks, they are cute smile But I've a feeling that the other ones will be more flattering on my tall but curvy figure. I hope so anyway.....don't want to spend ages looking for something.

emsyj Sat 24-Sep-11 22:24:17

When is the do? Dolly Couture are launching a new range of print dresses in October - they are planned to be around $200 but they will have petticoat fullness sewn in, so no need for the extra expense of a petticoat.

I personally think the increased prices of the Vivien of Holloway dresses are a tad ambitious - and you have to buy a petticoat separately. Nicer quality for similar styles on www.whirlingturban.com.

ladylush Sat 24-Sep-11 22:28:30

I like the pencil skirt dresses more than the full skirt ones

ladylush Sat 24-Sep-11 22:28:58

do is late november

emsyj Sat 24-Sep-11 22:38:17

Whirling Turban do wiggle dresses too - I've got one, with the matching little bolero. They are much nicer quality fabric and construction than the Vivien of Holloway ones IMO, albeit a bit more expensive.

Posted a link on another thread to www.unique-vintage.com which is a site I really like - tons of options on there and prices are very reasonable. Their customer service is great too, which always helps!

emsyj Sat 24-Sep-11 22:40:49

I am so coveting this one....

www.whirlingturban.com/boutique/boutique_detail.php?id=507

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now