Talk

Advanced search

What would you wear for cocktails and dinner?

(15 Posts)
MrsMilton Thu 22-Sep-11 16:23:13

At a bar/restaurant. In London. Fairly swanky place. I'm not sure if a dress might be too much, so maybe trousers/top combo? I keep seeing women in those ankle-length black trousers and patent high courts - is that still a good look? confused

Please help - I will be in the company of a gaggle of smart stylish women for the first time in quite a while. Not sure my usual SAHM gear will cut it. smile

TeriyakiWoo Thu 22-Sep-11 17:29:38

I would go with a dress. I know you said it might be too much but if it is a fairly swanky place then I'm sure you won't look overdressed. But if you'd be more comfortable in trousers/top combo then I think ankle-length black trousers and patent high courts sounds fab. Hope that helps!

MrsMilton Thu 22-Sep-11 19:56:52

Bump anyone?

pink4ever Thu 22-Sep-11 20:26:22

I would go with a dress-I see going out as an excuse to glam up and would never feel glam in trousers. Sorry cant do links but French connection have some nice stuff in. Also Coast have 2 lovely leopard print dresses-I luuurve them but sadly they would not love me!

MissVerinder Thu 22-Sep-11 20:38:14

Could you pull off a tuxedo style outfit if you'd like the trousers? I'm thinking if you're particularly tall and willowy.

If you've got a bit of curve, I'd go for a dress.

MrsMilton Thu 22-Sep-11 20:51:34

Definitely not willowy. 5ft 6", size 10-12, 30FF norks (according to the bra fitting I had this week!) Always feel high necks don't suit me - I like the norks to have a bit of breathing space without looking barmaidy.

Ok, will start looking at dresses - anyone seen anything other than the dreaded wrap?

Sleepwhenidie Thu 22-Sep-11 23:09:00

Definitely a dress you feel fab in, highly unlikely you won't look overdressed and even if you are a bit, then feeling gorgeous will make up for it! Budget?

MrsMilton Fri 23-Sep-11 09:51:41

I would spend up to £100 on something that I might only wear once or twice. I would happily spend more on something very wearable though. smile

polyhymnia Fri 23-Sep-11 10:32:24

I don't know exactly which restaurant you're going to, or whether it's a formal occasion or a group of friends meeting for a nice evening. But I go to a variety of London restaurants quite often and would say aim for low key but stylish and sophisticated, not OTT.

Don't mean jeans - a great top and ankle length trousers would be good, as woiuld a dress. But I'd definitely say go the wearable route, not the 'special occasion' dress one. Either way, with interesting and smart accessories. I wouldn't personally go for a tuxedo unless it's a pretty formal do and you have lots of confidence to carry it off.

CeliaFate Fri 23-Sep-11 10:35:40

this?

Bugsy2 Fri 23-Sep-11 10:40:03

Not too dressy or you'll feel like the country hick who made too much effort. Most bars / restaurants in London have a mix of people, some of whom are there after work (so in work clothes) and some there for a night out, so you get a real mix of styles & ages. Trousers & a special top is definitely a good option. Dress would also work - but just not too "special"!

MrsMilton Fri 23-Sep-11 12:14:18

Thanks all - didn't mean to sound like a hick, am a Londoner myself (well, an adopted one) and used to frequent smart places like this all the time till I stopped working and had my DS. Now Gymboree and the occasional latte are the only things I have to dress up for sad Really don't want to overdo it, just want to look sophisticated. Will have a look round for these ankle length trousers - they sound like they would pep up my wardrobe and be more useful than a dress right now.

KristinaM Fri 23-Sep-11 12:21:29

i also have large norks so i would wear a jersey dress ( a have a couple of anglomania ones) or cropped trousers, a top and leopard print heels

but i AM a hick and never go anywhere smart, so what do i know......

Bugsy2 Fri 23-Sep-11 12:33:07

blush - sorry MrsM, I didn't mean to make you feel that way either.

polyhymnia Fri 23-Sep-11 12:38:20

Nor me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now