Talk

Advanced search

Those of you who've had your colours done, can I ask...

(19 Posts)
naturelover Thu 22-Sep-11 14:50:39

if you liked/already wore the colours you were advised to wear?

I'm about to have mine done, before I spend anything on autumn clothes. AndI'm hoping I'll not have to discard my whole wardrobe and buy lots of new colours!

Please share your experiences of getting your colours done. Thanks!

NorksandSpencer Thu 22-Sep-11 16:11:47

I clearly remember when I saw the different colour swatches hoping and hoping I'd turn out to be a Summer because those were the colours I was most drawn to ... and I was smile

But, whilst I had some of those colours in my wardrobe already I had some horrors that I was glad to get rid of (things I was never really sure about till someone told me why mustardy yellow looked sh*t on me) and I had a lot of black which I gradually phased out or, if I did wear it, made sure I had the right coloured make up on with etc.

Enjoy and change your wardrobe gradually!

BedHog Thu 22-Sep-11 16:18:07

No way! When I received my swatch, telling me colours that suited me, those that could be worn in small quantities etc., the only colour that suited me really well was a slightly anaemic diarrhoea brown. I have never worn that colour and never intend to!

sweetheart Thu 22-Sep-11 16:27:22

I had a bit of a mixture really, a lot of the stuff I had in my wardrobe fitted into my colour palette and i was happy to get rid of a few bits that were totally the wrong colour for me. It also highlighted a couple of colours that I would never have thought about wearing and I have really enjoyed implemeting them into my wardrobe.

The biggest change for me was the elimination of black. It's a colour I should never wear like Norks so I have got rid of virtually everything black I owned with the exception of base layers of vest tops that I can put a coloured cardigan over. I have kept 1 black dress that I love the style of but I would be very careful about what I wore with it now.

ellangirl Thu 22-Sep-11 17:47:03

I agree about the no black. it wasn't a huge surprise that it didn't suit me, but it took a bit of a mental leap to cut it out completely! (I am a summer by the way). I also knew that I didn't suit most autumn colours already (oranges/russets/khaki) or spring (bright clear corals, oranges and citrus for example). What do you think you might be, and what colours do you already have lots of?

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 22-Sep-11 17:49:11

Yes, I loved my colours.

I chose to get rid of about 6 black/burnt orange tops. Wasn't upset about the black but I was a bit gutted about burnt orange.

Hallowe'en is not a good time for me clothes-wise

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 22-Sep-11 17:51:24

Black trousers and skirts can still be fine, and even tops/dresses if teamed with flattering colours in scarves/necklaces/jackets/cardigans next to your skin, BTW.

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 17:52:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

auntpetunia Thu 22-Sep-11 19:14:17

loved getting mine done I am bright winter so lots of fuschia pink, cobalt blue, emerald green. And thankfully NO BROWNs/sludge colours which I had always hated and yet they always seemed to be the fashion colours so I felt obliged to buy them and then never wore. Getting my colours done changed the way I shop I can peruse a whole store now in minutes just looking for the right colours and if nothing is the right colour I leave..brilliant coz I HATE shoppping!

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 22-Sep-11 19:23:22

aunt petunia those are also my colours!

DonaAna Thu 22-Sep-11 19:41:10

I'm a light Summer, and it was a shock initially (I'd like to be Winter or Spring - they can wear the colors I really like).

I haven't worn most Summer colors after my teens. I don't love blues (and I have about 13 different ones on my palette!), I'm not drawn to navy and gray, I felt camel was dull. I abhorred raspberry and mauve and burgundy. About the only colors on my palette I did like were the bright reds and greens.

After the initial shock, I did a round of shopping strictly sticking to my palette. I found lots of clothes I would never have looked at before that looked great. I think I'm finding a more sophisticated neutrals range (Armani colors look good on me) - some slightly pink beiges and even a drab taupe color look really good on me. A smoky blue scarf makes me look sophisticated and helps to tone down some "wrong" colors.

I have tons and tons of black in my wardrobe. I'm not getting rid of it, just getting more scarves in my best colors. But black won't be my safe fall-back choice any more.

Shopping is faster now, and online shopping produces more hits than misses. Clothes in summer colors don't stand out on the racks because they are soft and muted - I really need my palette to find them, otherwise I will pick brighter Winter or Spring colors. My everyday clothes look better because I think I'm starting to understand my best neutrals. Mixing and matching is much easier now, too.

naturelover Thu 22-Sep-11 21:04:52

Thanks everyone.
Well my favourite colours are beige, grey, taupe, white, navy with the odd splash of aqua. Do any of the "seasons" match those colours? I'm not very adventurous with colours am I?

I ditched a lot of black when I read Trinny & Susannah a few years ago, and I do think it makes me look tired next to my face. I'm now quite excited about seeing which colours are best for me. Will go and book it now!

TattyDevine Thu 22-Sep-11 21:18:35

I was attracted mainly to the wrong colours. I'm a spring. I had loads of black, charcoal, dull, muted colours, wintery and autumny. I'd keep getting sunbeds trying to suit the colours I was attracted to. Didn't realise why it was all wrong. Hair was too dark, kept tweaking makeup to try and match it.

I was a fecking mess. I looked fine, really, but it cost a fortune. You will probably not be as bad as me!!!

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 21:19:00

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 21:22:19

Grockle Thu 22-Sep-11 21:27:44

Is this worth doing? I'm tempted but its so expensive

naturelover Thu 22-Sep-11 21:29:57

Do you mind me asking how much it cost?

ellangirl Thu 22-Sep-11 21:32:18

House of colour is £95 I think. naturelover let us know how it goes and what season you are! You never know, it might make you really adventurous from now on grin

auntpetunia Fri 23-Sep-11 16:55:42

I wouldn't look at the cost as expensive, it's a one off payment that then saves you money for life. I don't make mistakes and have clothing in my Wardrobe I never wear, most things go together to make various outfits. Best £90 I ever spent and I got mine done 18 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now