Talk

Advanced search

Polo necks and Trinny & Susannah's rules for big boobs ...

(48 Posts)
MadamA Wed 21-Sep-11 21:11:50

... do we still have to stick to them? See that the shops are full of black polo necks and would love one but am 34G. Would it be so awful? if I bought a nice thin one?

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 21-Sep-11 21:13:51

I'm a 38G and, fashion disaster area though I am, even I can see that bosoms and polo necks don't go. Yes, it would be completely awful, sorry.

Helltotheno Wed 21-Sep-11 21:15:10

I love polo necks and they suit me cos I have a slim neck and my shoulders look fine. Re norks, well mine are medium big (but not Christina Hendricks big) and they look good in polos. I think you should go for it.

Remind me why Trinny and Susannah don't like them on big-norked people?

ByTheSea Wed 21-Sep-11 21:16:05

I have big boobs but I like my neck to be warm. I love polo necks in winter.

ChunkyPickle Wed 21-Sep-11 21:17:49

I've always been ample (more so now) and yet always got compliements when in polo necks (I think serious ones... and from women so not boob related)

Go for it.

Much warmer in winter.

MadamA Wed 21-Sep-11 21:36:36

Apparently T&S think a v neck is more flattering and draws the eye down. Which is true - I wear them 90% of the time. Just feeling left out with all those lovely lovely polo necks on offer. Maybe a black one with black trousers and black boots to clim the whole silhouette down!

MadamA Wed 21-Sep-11 21:37:33

Or even slim it down. Clim blush sounds vaguely offensive!

Casmama Wed 21-Sep-11 21:39:56

I wonder if you could get away with it with a long necklace or a scarf or something that would create a V across your boobs and would also work to draw the eye downwards.

40notTrendy Wed 21-Sep-11 21:41:18

I wear them with a scarf. Not a warm, wrap me up scarf but a decorative...oh ykwim!

Helltotheno Wed 21-Sep-11 21:43:14

Well under a black polo, it has to be harder to see how big the norks are surely? ok I can see the difficulty with a lighter polo.....

noviceoftheday Wed 21-Sep-11 21:47:00

Ooh no. I am 32F, so not that different to you....I made that fashion mistakte in the 90s so I will be given them a very wide berth this time aorund!

marriednotdead Wed 21-Sep-11 21:57:17

You can get away with fine knit (only) polo necks IF 1. You accept that your boobs will look huge and 2. Your bra fits perfectly and is seamless.
<gavel>

animula Wed 21-Sep-11 22:12:13

Surely more depends on your neck being fairly long, not v. short, rather than on your bust measurement? And how are V-necks flattering on those with larger measurements? I'm a 32G and I (think) I look a bit Bet Lynch in V-necks.

<mystified>

I am 32F and look a total disaster in polos, also anything with cable knit.

It makes your boobs look huge and in a deeply unflatering way.

smartyparts Wed 21-Sep-11 22:19:48

Polo necks on big boobs are v unflattering. They make the wearer look like they are wearing a droopy table.

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 21-Sep-11 22:25:16

I think it also depends on your height and the length of your neck. I am very short/petite. Fairly big boobs and very slim waist. A polo neck (in fact even a round neck) kind of makes my boobs look bigger and I look more "lumpy" overall. IT sort of shortens the gap between my waist and boobs iykwim.

I think with taller women a polo neck can be more flattering even with big boobs.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 21-Sep-11 22:38:29

I remember in one of their books, they had a skinny-but-booby woman, and showed her in a polo as an option in winter. As someone said, the boobs will look big, but if your bra fits properly and they're hoiked up, and I suppose it's long rather than tucked in, I think it's okay.

I wear them when I go ski-ing and no one points and laughs Idon't think.

I also look crap in v-necks - they're somehow too angular on me, look odd. I need scoop necks or a cami under the v.
These rules aren't set in stone - take a photo of yourself if you're not sure, but no one who hasn't seen you can tell you for sure.

tethersend Wed 21-Sep-11 22:44:40

Release yourself from the tyranny of the v neck- I implore you!

I wear polo necks and I am 36G.

onepieceofcremeegg I am 5'10", size 12, neck like a giffafe, I still look shite.

giraffe grin

ggirl Wed 21-Sep-11 22:55:35

i think these rules are shit
I'm ff cup , look shit in scoop necks cos my shoulders are narrow
Love ok in some v-necks but not all, has to be narrow v
look best in boat neck or low wide crew neck ifkwim
so polo neck could work.just ty it..who cares if you look like you have huge tits...

animula Wed 21-Sep-11 23:08:54

ggirl is right, you know. One of the sad things about the way patriarchy society sexualises (young) female bodies is that we women can be alienated from our breasts.

All this "but your breasts will look huuuge" is actually pretty said.

Time to reclaim our breasts, ladies!

animula Wed 21-Sep-11 23:09:27

"sad", not "said".

Helltotheno Wed 21-Sep-11 23:33:35

Agreed. What's wrong with norks looking the way they look? My norks get admiring looks when I wear polos and y'know they'll be around my ankles in 40 odd years so ... I'll take it ya know!!?

ThePetiteMummy Wed 21-Sep-11 23:37:15

Are polo necks acceptable wear these days? I just found a load in my cupboard last night, and can't make up my mind if they look dated. They're ribbed & cotton.

Sorry for hijack, re: norkage, I'm 32C, so think I'm allowed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now