Talk

Advanced search

How to not look like a lump in winter?

(10 Posts)
AliceWyrld Wed 21-Sep-11 18:41:16

I dread winter because I get very cold and end up looking like a lump. What does one wear to avoid this? I'm a real amateur so we're talking basic.

I'm 5ft4, size 12, 30 something, not much money...

Would anyone like to share their wisdom?

AutumnWitch Wed 21-Sep-11 20:09:36

Lightweight layers are your friends.

Start with Uniqlo heat-tech as the base, lots of styles and colours for tops as well as socks, tights and leggings. Or go for proper thermals - no-one can see them! There are fleece lined tights appearing in the shops this year as well (spotted in Primark and M+S).

Add a jersey dress or tunic on top of leggings or skinny jeans, a fine knit jumper (H+M do nice ones for around £10), and/or a light cardi on top, chuck on a scarf, gloves and a hat in colours that make you look your best as they are what's most visible (many bargains in primark), thick socks in boots with a chunky sole.

Wait until the weather is cold enough to wear that lot for you to shop for a coat that fits over the top and looks good.

I love winter clothes smile

AliceWyrld Wed 21-Sep-11 20:33:13

Ooo thanks AutumnWitch. Am very excited by the Uniqlo heat-tech!

dexter73 Wed 21-Sep-11 21:03:23

I live in Heattech in the winter. I have the scoop neck ls tops, leggings and tights. They are fab! Uniqlo also do really nice extra-fine merino knits and I think they are on offer at the moment. I love Uniqlo!

AliceWyrld Wed 21-Sep-11 21:08:26

So like with the extra-fine merino knits, could this be worn over a dress confused?

mirpuppet Wed 21-Sep-11 21:16:52

Yes; but I prefer v-necks -- less interference with neckline of dresses. I'm also a fan on Uniqlo.

AliceWyrld Wed 21-Sep-11 21:21:13

v-neck jumpers or v-neck cardigans? I think I need v-neck as I have broad shoulders confused

(Thanks for humouring the clueless me, I do appreciate it)

mirpuppet Wed 21-Sep-11 21:24:36

Cardigans for layering over dresses.

Jumpers for skirts or trousers. Can also use Cardigans for this -- so cardigans more versatile.

LadyMary Wed 21-Sep-11 21:28:52

Good quality thick wool tights under dresses.

AutumnWitch Wed 21-Sep-11 21:38:51

and if it's all feeling too voluminous, pop a belt over the top to give you some shape again...

Just wishing the weather would be properly autumnal now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now