Talk

Advanced search

Clarks vs Dubarry boots

(9 Posts)
MarthaLovesMatthew Wed 21-Sep-11 13:41:46

First time in S&B smile

Having nearly reached the grand old age of 28, I've decided to invest in some proper winter boots. I live in rural N.Yorks and spend too much time trudging about in fields and rain etc so whatever I get needs to be waterproof as I don't want to spend another winter stuck in nothing but wellies.

Dubarry are an obvious choice but I'm balking a bit at the price. Then saw these in Clarks. They're Gore-tex, but will they be just as good and long lasting as Dubarry? Does it make more sense in the long run to pay the extra?

www.clarks.co.uk/find/department-is-women/technologies-is-gore2dtex/product-is-20348142

Any advice very much appreciated!

meltedchocolate Wed 21-Sep-11 13:47:36

I don't mean to be rude but when I first opened the link I thought they were wellies.

MarthaLovesMatthew Wed 21-Sep-11 13:55:52

Yes, point taken. They're not the most attractive of boots are they? grin

But I'm sort of going for functional rather than beautiful at this point.

forrestgump Wed 21-Sep-11 14:12:09

Last year I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of Dubarry boots, and i no longer have to wear the cheaper option, whilst drooling over the pair i realy wanted! Those clarks ones arnt awful, Im with you totally on the function of them rather than the look, but to be honest the Dubarry do both, and £120 is a lot to spend for 2nd best?

Florin Wed 21-Sep-11 14:15:33

Definitely get the Dubarry ones. I am after a pair of country ones as I have the sailing ones which I love. They are like slippers they have been the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn and even though they get a lot of wear on and off the water they still look great.

MarthaLovesMatthew Wed 21-Sep-11 14:23:53

Did your Dubarrys live up to all the hype forrest? Mind me asking which style you bought?

My sis has some Dubarrys but doesn't wear them much as she doesn't want them ruined, which seems a bit mad to me, to spend so much money on something you hardly use. Whatever I get will be used alot. I want to be sure they don't fall apart within a year or two!

gregssausageroll Wed 21-Sep-11 14:26:10

I have dubarry boots and I love them. I look after them and make sure they are cleaned etc - at that price you have to.

Very comfy and very warm.

Callisto Wed 21-Sep-11 14:46:43

I would check out the equestrian pages - there was a thread on there not so long ago about winter boots. I'm not keen on the Dubarrys - I think they are quite ugly and absolutely everyone wears them around here.

MarthaLovesMatthew Wed 21-Sep-11 14:59:28

Dubarry are also a bit ubiquitous round here as well Callisto. Very much part of the horsey uniform. (I don't ride).

Was hoping someone would come on to say they have bought the Clarks boots and have found them to be great, but it looks like the Dubarrys/similar have it at this point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now