Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me this is nice...

(20 Posts)
AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 22:56:28

I like this coat but am notoriously unstylish and need a second opinion. Is it ok?

I'm mid-twenties, blonde, size 10-12, 5'4" (This is not a dating site, I know). Usual uniform is either smart work gear or jeans.

Thanks!

moondog Tue 20-Sep-11 22:59:55

Hmmm, could go either way, looking either v smart with right get up or just plain dowdy.

What's the plan with it?
Work coat?
Schlepping around town coat?

TheDetective Tue 20-Sep-11 23:01:09

I'm not too keen - it looks a bit mumsy to me... but what do I know, I dress like a teen and I'm 26 hmmmm...!

If it suits you though, and goes with your outfits, go for it. It always looks different on anyway.

Sorry no help there!

mumblechum1 Tue 20-Sep-11 23:02:43

I don't think it's mumsy at all, I think it's a nice classic look and will look great on you because you're slim.

meltedchocolate Tue 20-Sep-11 23:02:48

I am 21 and I am afraid I don't like it. Sorry.

madmomma Tue 20-Sep-11 23:04:05

sorry I think it's a bit naff

CointreauVersial Tue 20-Sep-11 23:05:22

Looks nice, will be good with jeans, but I suspect it won't be very warm (being boringly practical!).

meltedchocolate Tue 20-Sep-11 23:08:46

The model is slim and looks amazing in many of their pieces, but not this one. I do think it looks a bit mumsy. It's the colours and they way they are blocked, not the style.

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 23:11:37

Oh dear sad Thankyou mumblechum for saying I'm slim!

moondog the plan is to use it as a general coat. I don't have a massive wardrobe so it would be used to go to work, pick up DS from nursery, take DS to the park etc. The coat I use now is a ski jacket but I was hoping for something a bit more feminine (and not black!). I really have the most awful sense of style.

Katy13010 Tue 20-Sep-11 23:12:10

It's ok - just be careful with it being double-breasted - could make you look shorter/wider than you are. I agree with what others say though - try it on and see how it looks, and if youlike it - then that's all that matters! :-)

moondog Tue 20-Sep-11 23:12:35

I'd keep a nice coat for work and going out and feel free to wear a parka for walks and park.

I think that you are too short for it - to me it looks like a coat for a tall person (I am short).

I can't offer any other help, I am crap with coats.

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 23:17:18

Ok, I'll try it on in the loungiest gear I would wear with it and if it looks alright, I will get it. If not (as I now suspect sad) it's back to the drawing board. Thanks for the advice!

Awomancalledhorse Tue 20-Sep-11 23:18:53

Agree with what Katy said, how big are your boobs?
I'm 5'4, size 10 with a 36E chest & can't wear double breasted jackets because it makes me look even more top heavy/like a block.
I've found a single breasted jacket with a waist tie is much more forgiving to my figure!

The other thing I'd consider about this coat; being 5'4 it will probably (like every other jacket in the world!) be too long on the sleeves, so they won't stay that light colour for very long!

Is it just me or are the pockets really high up?!

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 23:23:42

34C so not massive. Negligible now I've stopped bfing DS.

meltedchocolate Tue 20-Sep-11 23:34:44

I am not for a second suggesting this one as it is £££ but a similar style would do park and work. A clasic that wont date!

AKMD Wed 21-Sep-11 11:33:26

Thanks melted. I have something similar but cream + 1 year-old DS = disaster. I think I'll just save up and get a proper Duffle coat.

higgle Wed 21-Sep-11 11:40:00

In my experience coats from Next are not very good quality. I found one I relly liked last witer which I wanted just to wear over a smartish frock when I went out for lunch, or in the evenings. I tried on several and the buttons were not properly sewn on and kept falling off even in the shop! The assistant just put them back on the rail, even though I told her. I quite like the shape of the one you like, but the contrast trims look a bit awkward.

thefirstMrsDeVere Wed 21-Sep-11 11:40:14

I think it is a good wardrobe staple.

Wardrobe staples are never going to be that exciting.

Do you drive because this coa wont keep your bum warm on the school run grin

thefirstMrsDeVere Wed 21-Sep-11 11:41:46

higgle I always resew buttons on coats regardless. Even in high end shops they can be really badly attached.

I got a coat once and the buttons came off in my hand one by one as I tried to do them up shock

Ok it wasnt a Chanel but it wasnt Primarni either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now