Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

mixed race hair dilema

(7 Posts)
Allboxedin Tue 20-Sep-11 15:47:12

Hi there,
My daughter is mixed race (I am English, DH Nigerian)
Anyway, I usually leave her hair out or put a pretty clip in it or something. I use some conditioner and stuff to make the curls more like curls rather than frizz or put it in two pigtails.
Anyway a friend came yesterday and she spent ages plaiting it and I had to make her wear a hat today because it just looked awful and her hair is all breaking up. I don't want to upset the friend (who is Nigerian) but am just wondering how long I should leave it in to have made her time worthwhile iykwim? I'm dying to take it all out and leave it down again.
What do you think?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Allboxedin Tue 20-Sep-11 15:50:07

smile

LadyMary Tue 20-Sep-11 15:55:30

Take it out asap.

A lot of straight up afro hairstyles are inappropriate for mixed race hair, which often isnt as strong as afro hair and just ends up breaking or thinning at the roots if it is pulled at too much or plaited too tightly.

PlumSykes Tue 20-Sep-11 15:57:28

I would undo it, and if friend says anything, say that DD found it uncomfortable at night.

ChristinedePizan Tue 20-Sep-11 16:08:01

I would definitely undo it - agree with LadyMary, if it's breaking already, it could absolutely ruin it if you leave it any longer

Allboxedin Tue 20-Sep-11 16:09:05

TBH she woke up this morning lying on her front (she is 23 months) so I think she probably did find it uncomfortable as she usually sleeps on her back or side. I don't think I will try this again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now