Talk

Advanced search

Is this the waterproof/breathable winter coat we've been looking for?

(28 Posts)
Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 13:49:35

I'm not usually a fan of parkas, but this ticks all the boxes for me. What do you think? Slim fitting, light and bottom covering.

PorkChopSter Tue 20-Sep-11 13:51:49

Not at the price I was looking for grin

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 13:53:21

I found one for £180 in-store. What about the actual coat though PorkChop?

Littlepumpkinpie Tue 20-Sep-11 13:58:24

Its warm but does not say it is waterproof smile

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 14:01:05

It is waterproof - it says 'Crafted from Helly Tech® PROTECTION waterproof and breathable shell fabric, it´s insulated with Warmcore by PrimaLoft®. '

WowOoo Tue 20-Sep-11 14:02:50

I like it a lot. Bet it is very cosy.

TapselteerieO Tue 20-Sep-11 14:07:37

I like it too, can't justify the price, but it is lovely.

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 14:09:37

I read something on here the other day about Helly Hansen being the brand of choice in the courts - I know they went down-market a few years ago, but is that still the case?

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 14:10:17

Meant to add: have also heard that they've now dropped that down-market reputation since they stopped sending stuff to TKMax etc in the same quantities.

ggirl Tue 20-Sep-11 14:11:18

Reminds me of the parka that kid from the film East is East wore.

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 14:14:06

Haven't seen the film. Presumably that's not a good thing?

meltedchocolate Tue 20-Sep-11 14:34:01

Sorry but I really don't like it. Ugly old lady coat IMO.

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 14:37:37

That's OK Melted.

PS would be black that I'd get, not the purple one

meltedchocolate Tue 20-Sep-11 14:43:15

To be honest it's a practical jacket, but not a fashionable one. Get it for the days that fashion were not made to cope with and get another one (you know, by taking a trip to the money tree at the bottom of your garden) that is gorgoues and everyone will be jealous of for the days that, your hair will make it intact to your destination without being blown into something that only a warewolf would be proud of.

meltedchocolate Tue 20-Sep-11 14:44:34

Oh dear... there were some commas on the loose in there!

daenerysstormborn Tue 20-Sep-11 14:47:45

splutter £220!! for that price i hope it can control the weather wink

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 15:51:09

I found it for £180 Daenery.

No, it's not fashionable, but I'm looking for something practical to do the school run in when it is tipping down - something that doesn't look like I am about to hike up a hill with Kendall mint cake.

TracyK Tue 20-Sep-11 15:57:03

Can you take the fur off the hood - otherwise it will end up like a drowned cat in the rain. V. nice tho. I like the purple too.

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 16:26:11

Yes, fur comes off.

carrielou2007 Tue 20-Sep-11 17:11:56

Have you not seen the very long merrell wakefield thread below?? Fab fab fab, I wore mine today (in purple but no fluffy hood!!) in downpour and have the insulated one which was fab in last years snow. I also bought a black one as hey will sort me out for the next fair few years of school runs!!

Conundrumish Tue 20-Sep-11 17:15:35

Yes I saw that Carrie and I tried the un-insulated and insulated Wakefields on. Could only try uninsulated in large and it was too tight across the back - even without something warm on. The insulated in large was good, but similar price to the one I've posted about and I didn't think it had any more to offer. I liked that this one had a bit more room for movement and felt a bit warmer. Nice coat though and will prob get it if I do not get this one.

cabbagesoup Tue 20-Sep-11 20:03:26

Take a look at a brand called Burton very trendy and current, also amazing quality who do snowboarding jackets, they have parkas on here for less money and much nicer cuts - http://www.burtonstore.eu/burton/pages/productdetail.grid?product=289863650745872&index=23&category=&season=W12&gender=Womens&brand=burton&collection=&cid=1284

drowninginlaundry Tue 20-Sep-11 20:46:52

that HH jacket will keep you warm and dry - it has PrimaLoft which is a superb synthetic insulating fibre, the warmest there is without paying for down. 5000 mm hydrostatic head is waterproof, not gore tex level but if it was then you'd be paying double - it's waterproof enough for dog walks and school run. £220 is a fair price I think, and it looks nice!

Didriksons does a similar parka called Celeste which retails around £150 - padded but not with PrimaLoft, I think water column rating of 2000 so less waterproof = in a 2 hr downpour you'll probably get soggy.

drowninginlaundry Tue 20-Sep-11 20:53:09

cabbage my first snowboard was Burton in 1989 they've been around for a while... smile their clothes are fantastic, I still have a down vest from them that I bought in 2001 in great condition

Snow and Rock stocks them

cabbagesoup Tue 20-Sep-11 22:02:28

drowninginlaundry I know they are great and I'm always amazed that they are not known outside the snowboarding circles - (I meant current as in current trends) - I get all of my gear from them and then wear for the school run - I'm either to coolest mum or they all think I shop in Burton (mens shop!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now