Talk

Advanced search

Winter boots - wide calf fitting?

(13 Posts)
AngryGnome Tue 20-Sep-11 10:53:20

Any tips? I'm 5'3", and still about 2 1/2 stone overweight since having DS.

Have been living in the mumsy frump fashion wilderness, and have decided that beautiful winter boots are going to be the best way to kickstart a bit of style in my life!

Calves still too chunky for most boots I have tried, and I was wondering if anyone had any reccommendations for decent wide leg fittings?

Thank you!

JohnniesBitch Tue 20-Sep-11 11:07:05

a few shops offer wider fitting boots now, including next and clarks. Evans have a nice range too but they might be too wide for you. Duo is good because they have a wide range of calf fittings, although a bit pricier than the others.

doglover Tue 20-Sep-11 11:11:42

Fitflop Tall Supertone boots are generous calf-wise and supremely comfortable.

AngryGnome Tue 20-Sep-11 13:26:21

Thanks ladies, much appreciated! I hadn't seenthe Duo site before, I think I wil certainly be sending some business their way- Burgundy knee high boots, yum!

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 20-Sep-11 14:05:13

M and S do a wider fitting, and La Redoute have two styles in at the moment which come in 3 different calf widths.

I don't rate Duo at all - think the quality is poor considering the price.

I have this problem too, tried some Clarks wider ones last week that were nowhere near wide enough for my 43cm calves but bought M&S footglove ones which fit perfectly.

I've only tried Duo once and didn't like them, they came up far too wide on the calf and just weren't what I was looking for at all, I didn't send them back because we got cut off in the snow but heartily wish I had made the effort as they have had very little wear. Thank goodness they were in the sale.

BikeRunSki Tue 20-Sep-11 15:07:40

I am no fan of Duo either. Promise a lot, but don't deliver. Poor quality for price and very baggy on ankle.

987654 Tue 20-Sep-11 16:33:41

I do like UGGs for their wider fittings.
I known, I know, Ugg & winter in the same sentenceblush but they do some lovey leather styles now.
UGG Bellvue II are the ones I have my eye on. £ 225 is a little pricey though
www.uggaustralia.co.uk/womens-bellvue-II-buckle-boots-uk/1914,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_1914_color=BLK&start=35&cgid=women-boots

Shoe outlets on Ebaymight be an idea for cost?
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&LH_ItemCondition=11&_trkparms=65%253A2%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=UGG+Bellvue&_dmd=2&_dmpt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&_sc=1&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_vc=1

deliciousdevilwoman Tue 20-Sep-11 16:48:43

Hi there.
I have had Duo boots in the past, and was pleased with them. With Duo, I would say size down a couple of cm, as the leather gives easily-I had to send my first pair back, although I had measured correctly as per their guidance.

I bought a nice pair of leather, knee high riding boots from Tesco (I know, I couldn't believe it!) the other day. Only £45. I was actually surprised I could get them zipped up-my calves are 39/40 cm. The leather is a bit "shiny" but they will look better when I scuff em up a bit smile

Viva la Diva and Buckles and Bows also do wider calf fittings.

NewChoos Tue 20-Sep-11 16:52:26

I have some duo boots and they are lovely !

chardom Tue 20-Sep-11 17:02:39

Next do a range of wider fittings for boots. I am 'chunky of calf' and have no problem with their range.

gailforce1 Tue 20-Sep-11 20:38:53

I have huge calves and was really surprised when I tried on some M&S boots and could zip them up!!

lobsters Tue 20-Sep-11 20:53:30

I love Duo boots, I must have around 10 pairs. The one time I did have quality issues, when the heel of a boot basically crumbled they replaced it and posted it back to me, without any complaints

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now