Talk

Advanced search

Help me with my New York wardrobe

(14 Posts)
Demiwave Tue 20-Sep-11 10:26:20

I'm off to New York for a long weekend soon and would like to buy some new clothes. I am on a tight budget and wondered if anyone can give me some ideas for essentials. Here is some info:

The weather should be in the early 20s
We will be doing a lot of sightseeing
I don't need anything too dressy for evening (just meals out but not really posh ones)

Me
5'4''
size 18
most of my weight carried on my tummy (prefer clothes to hide it)
38dd/e boobs
I like to dress for comfort but would like to look smart

My budget really is no more than £150

What shall I buy???

TIA

Demiwave Tue 20-Sep-11 11:11:10

Anyone?

cornsillx Tue 20-Sep-11 11:12:12

envy

lurkingmurking Tue 20-Sep-11 11:16:06

I'm going this weekend for a work trip and have been told it's quite cold and wet at the moment so be prepared for that!

How about jersey dresses?

dreamingofnextholiday Tue 20-Sep-11 11:29:49

Anything goes in New York. Literally anything! (look out for the naked cowboy!) And once you get there you'll be too busy looking up to pay attention to yours and other people's clothes.

The one and only essential is VERY comfy footwear. Oh and a small across body bag is handy.

If you want to look smart why not get a nice new jacket/blazer that you can wear with some things you already have.

Have fun.

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 20-Sep-11 11:34:03

The first thing I would say is you would be mad to buy anything over here before you go, save the money to spend when you are out there.

I went for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago and there was fab stuff in the shops, I bought 2 new pairs of jeans, a gorgeous pencil skirt from J Crew, some nice casual tops from American Eagle (kind of poor mans Abercrombie but great stuff for fraction of the price) a new bag, and some makeup....

I terms of clothing for when you are out there, it is getting chillier there now (my sister lives there) so you will need a jacket. I would probably be wearing skinny jeans and comfy boots and layers on the top half.

For evenings anything goes, we went out for a smart dinner to Buddakan (Asian fusion restaurant, features in Sex and the City movie where Carrie and Big have the dinner the night before the wedding) and wore a silk dress, other evenings just wore jeans.

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 20-Sep-11 11:36:24

BTW for shopping:

Bloomingdales great for Jeans and if you go the visitors centre with your passport they will give you a 10% voucher.

J Crew and Banana Republic have lovely stuff and cheaper than over here

American Eagle (in Times Sq) is great for casual tops, jumpers etc

Ugg shop - if you are into that much cheaper (but can be hellish)

Abercrombie avoid like the plague you have to queue to get in there now (I lasted 15 mins in the queue we hadn't budged an inch and were still miles away).

Demiwave Tue 20-Sep-11 16:27:19

Sorry, had to go out -will read replies now

mirpuppet Tue 20-Sep-11 17:19:28

I second comfortable shoes (but not trainers unless they are of the trendy variety).

I also would shop in NYC -- your pounds will go alot further.

hifi Tue 20-Sep-11 18:29:55

carry a cardi when eating out,the air con is brutal.

Demiwave Tue 20-Sep-11 18:37:10

Thanks for all the tips, I'll save most of my shopping for New York BUT if I had to take one essential shopping/sightseeing outfit, what would it be? Please give me links and speak to me like I am a small child - I am HOPELESS at knowing the right clothes to wear for the right occasions!

MissBeehiving Tue 20-Sep-11 20:30:58

I went a couple of years ago at the beginnning of November and did all my shopping sightseeing in skinnies/mid heel ankle boots/ layered t shirts/jacket/hat combo. I couldn't believe how fast the weather could changefrom t shirt weather to fecking pissing it down.

Shopping recs;

Filene's Basement for dirt cheap Steve Madden shoes
Woodbury Common -(join the VIP shopper club on line)

envy

mirpuppet Tue 20-Sep-11 20:44:27

Do you already own a pair of comfortable shoes? I think this may be one of the times that its best to start with the shoes and figure out what outfit looks good with the shoes.

Geordieminx Tue 20-Sep-11 20:45:26

We went at the beginning of oct last year. The weather was really nice, not too hot, but warm enough to enjoy a beer outside.

I went for skinny jeans, ballet pumps, vest and cardigan. Dressed them up with nice scarves, necklaces and such like. Took a couple of dresses and a denim jacket for evenings, usually with knee high boots?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now