Talk

Advanced search

Spray tan???

(14 Posts)
mumblechum1 Mon 19-Sep-11 11:49:23

I don't usually come on this section, but need Your Royal Gorgeousnesses advice.

I got back from California 3 weeks ago with a lovely deep tan but it's basically all gone now.

DH is taking me away for our anniversary for a week on 2 Oct to a Mystery Location - all I know is that it's several time zones east of here and hot. So, I'd quite like to top up my tan a bit before I get the bikini back out, but have never had a spray tan before.

I've given up using fake tan on my legs as no matter how much I exfoliate and moisturise, I end up with orange and white stripes and it looks horrible.

Sooo, would you recommend a spray tan? How much is it, how many will I need, do I need to do anything special in terms of moisturising etc, do I keep knickers and bra on, and any other info much appreciated.

emsyj Mon 19-Sep-11 11:54:19

Cost varies, £15/20 ish if you get someone to come to the house, £20-40 in a salon.

You get given paper knickers to wear, baps out so you get no strap marks. You could leave a bra on if you really wanted to, but would probably have to bin it afterwards.

One visit will be enough, but it won't last more than a week. Fantasy Tan is the best one IMO. St Tropez is dark but wears off in patches. Fantasty Tan has a range of shades to choose from and a more 'luminescent' finish and wears evenly.

I would shave/exfoliate/moisturise the night before then shower in the morning and don't moisturise again. The tanning person will put moisturiser on your elbows for you and give you sticky foot protectors so you don't get the tan on the soles of your feet.

If you can get someone mobile it's better as then you don't have to get dressed afterwards. Don't shower for 24 hours (or at the least overnight).

Does that help??

mumblechum1 Mon 19-Sep-11 11:56:10

That's fantastic, you've answered all my questions!

Off to google local salons which do Fantasy Tan.

Thanks!!

Ifancyashandy Mon 19-Sep-11 12:01:48

What Emsyj said but to add, I like Fake Bake - you can choose between light, medium or dark and it too has a 'luminosity' that stops it looking flat. It will look streaky and terrifying whilst it dries! It always does and looks very very very dark! But I promise it will be glowing and even once you shower off the residue (12 hrs later, as above).

One final tip re: the exfoliation etc - don't use deodorant on the day you're having it done. It will go green under your armpits if you do! Or, and if you're anything like me, lift your arms up when she's doing your boobs!

emsyj Mon 19-Sep-11 12:12:36

Oh yes I believe Fake Bake is really good too - sorry I forgot about that one!

peekmum Mon 19-Sep-11 20:25:36

If yoyu go to a salon - wear flip flops. Don't wear socks in the day as you don't want ridges around your ankles while having the tan and if you do go to the salon wear loose clothes - t-shirt and joggers as you won't wear a bra afterwards as it will rub off too much and leave you with a bra mark.

Don't worry about it coming off on your sheets - I've always had St Tropez and find it washes out of teh sheets fine as it's just a vegetable-based water dye as I understand. -

monkeysmama Mon 19-Sep-11 20:33:10

I've only had a few but all v good advice. I have always had St Tropez and the last two times it's faded rather than gone patchy so looked very natural. I do moisturise a lot though. It's not ideal to swim after iirc? Depending on where you're going could be a consideration?

monkeysmama Mon 19-Sep-11 20:33:58

Oh and don't have a pale polish applied before. I made the mistake of having a pale pedi the same day I had my first spray tan.

Ifancyashandy Mon 19-Sep-11 20:41:15

Oh and if you do end up with a green tinge from deodorant residue, put some tomato ketchup on a cotton wool pad and rub it off! It works!!

And you can wear a bra after Fake Bake - it won't lift the colour at all. Had it done many times and there's no way I'd leave the salon without a bra!

prettypurpledaisy Mon 19-Sep-11 20:44:18

We have had fantatsic results from Urban Tan, my dd has a lot of them for dance competitions. Another alternative is Rimmel tan make up which washes off the next day.

mumblechum1 Mon 19-Sep-11 21:16:58

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately none of my local salons (Marlow or Henley) do the fantasy tan, but I've booked a san tropez for the late afternoon before we go away as the lady said not to get it done at 10am which was my first choice. She was Russian so I didn't quite get what she was saying but seemed to be saying I "vud be muddy" hmm

Will take all these useful tips on board!

wileycoyote Mon 19-Sep-11 21:31:37

I had St Tropez done on friday and it looks great. It looked dark till I washed the residue off after 12 hours. Looks fab now.

mumblechum1 Mon 19-Sep-11 21:34:30

Ooh, I'm getting excited now! Trying to work out what "4 or 5 time zones East" means and hoping it's the Seychelles, Maldives or Mauritius, not Kazakstan, Iraq or Somalia!

wileycoyote Mon 19-Sep-11 22:01:30

Well, wherever it is you'll look great!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now