Talk

Advanced search

Advice on Mulberry Tillie Drawstring

(15 Posts)
HengshanRoad Mon 19-Sep-11 04:49:27

Has anybody bought the Mulberry Tillie Drawstring in the nubuck brown?

http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c5481/6544/morestyles/

I really like the look of it. I need a capacious everyday bag that will hold my laptop/books/general crap (I'm a freelance writer - lots of schlepping around with lots of stuff) and withstand a dirty city (Shanghai).

It's a bum-clenchingly large amount of money to spend, but a big project I worked on all year is about to come home to roost, and I've always dreamed of a Mulberry. At the grand old age of 30, I think it may be time to invest.

Should I go for a regular brown Bayswater instead, and save a couple of hundred pounds?

Ambernj1 Mon 19-Sep-11 08:13:21

Buy the bag you love - you'll get plenty of people coming on here to tell you to buy a Bayswater, but of my Mulberries (I have 6) the Bayswater is least used as the lock bit digs into my arm.

I have a Tillie clutch and love it, and the one you have linked to is gorgeous! Sounds like you have earned it so treat yourself!

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 08:23:30

The Tilly is lovely. I love the way my Bayswater looks but it's so blimmin' heavy it is one of my less used bags. If you add a laptop you may find you have real problems carrying it - or I may just be very weak!

HengshanRoad Mon 19-Sep-11 08:24:12

Thanks Ambernj1! I have fallen in love with the Tillie drawstring, even though I've never seen it "in the flesh", as it were.

I'm going back to England at Christmas, so I will buy it then.

JohnniesBitch Mon 19-Sep-11 11:44:08

the bayswater drives me mad, i have two purple metallic leather and an oak one, but the way you have to carry it like a wannbe wag, drives me insane. I thought it was just my fat arms but even now almost 6 stone lighter and a lot of dress sizes smaller it still only just fits over my shoulder.
Also the flap makes it a pain to get in and out of. Id buy the tillie if thats the one you really want.
I started buying mulberry at 30 as well. i did buy a very good alexa replica from vogueking website but still wanted the origional and brought one soon after. blush

mummy2munchkin Mon 19-Sep-11 16:14:32

beautiful bag! Bayswater is too common now, would definitely advise the tillie.

SheWhoMustNotBeFlamed Mon 19-Sep-11 17:45:52

<respect to Johnnie'sBitch>
<still stuck on second stone, moi>

winetimeismytime Mon 19-Sep-11 18:08:49

I like Mulberryenvy, but just seen this posted on another thread and it looks a lovely work bag for a fraction of price...here

CombineArvester Mon 19-Sep-11 18:13:18

I think it's horrid but I'm not a big fan of mulberry bags tbh. I would want a bit more glamour for my grand grin

madammecholet Mon 19-Sep-11 21:43:50

I like Mulberry, but would never pay the price. Sorry the tillie drawstring style reminds me of one I took to sixth form many moons ago....so not one of my favourites. I also think the bays is v heavy and v copied by every high street chain out there.

Personally I would halve/quarter your budget and get something just as good but without the label.

LaBag Tue 20-Sep-11 05:09:00

I prefer winetime's bag. Looks a bit more classy and much more sensible price.

bertiecat Tue 20-Sep-11 07:58:07

I agree with LaBag - love that P & M Milly bag winetime! -- it's going on my Christmas list ! - yes - I have one going already!! grin

mummy2munchkin Tue 20-Sep-11 08:07:08

I don't know, I think mulberry is understated, the leather is lovely and the interior is really nice too. My mulberry bags are my definite every day bag...if I had the choice it would be a chanel!!!!! But after that imo mulberry make the best bags and are worth the price tag..saying that, you can get them with a brilliant discount at Bicester if you're anywhere near?

mrsrhodgilbert Tue 20-Sep-11 15:07:59

I have the East West Bayswater and love it, but I don't tend to carry more than a purse, phone, sunglasses case, lipstick. Any more than that and it wouln't fit. It's great quality but I got it from the York outlet with 1/3 off. Same with my Messenger bag. I keep wondering about the Bayswater but it just seems big. I had never heard of Peony and Moore before S&B enlightened me. Is it just online? I love the look of The Lucia in camel and was wondering how how the colour matches up to the Mulberry Oak. The P&M looks lighter and more of a summer colour whereas the Oak looks ok for winter too. Any opinions as this might go on my Christmas list if we are making those already?

bertiecat Tue 20-Sep-11 17:25:04

A P & M bag is on my Xmas list - The Milly --- Just had an email saying they now have the Lucia in chocolate brown as well - this might suit better for the winter - www.peonyandmoore.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_12&products_id=141 - don't think they have a shop - just online - probably why the prices are good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now