Talk

Advanced search

What would you wear with this jacket?

(20 Posts)
Katy13010 Mon 19-Sep-11 00:08:04

Hi all,

I bought this coat a few weeks ago, I adore the fitted shape and it fits me so well - just couldn't resist... Told myself it'll last forever becasue of the classic shape etc!

www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1017&productid=0211-4248-3348L00&productvarid=0211-4248-3348L00-NAVY%20MULTI-12&refpage=1015

But now I am wondering how I can wear it/how to style it, so that I don't look a lot older than I actually am (I am in my mid-twenties!).

Anyone got any suggestions? All I can think of is a light coloured top and some jeans/boots...

Thanks!

casawasa Mon 19-Sep-11 00:12:35

Bright scarf at the neck? With jeans and boots?

Katy13010 Mon 19-Sep-11 00:27:18

I like that casawasa, thanks! Would defo inject a splash of colour!

hodgypodgy Mon 19-Sep-11 09:18:38

Jeans for casual and a simple a-line skirt from Whistles with plain white t-shirt and a pair of NW3 shoes/boots for smarts. Me, I'd sling it on over a shift dress with ballet flats (and hairy legs) and live in it. Simps.

Katy13010 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:36:36

Thank you! Good ideas. I am hoping it's going to prove itself as versatile as it needs to for the price tag - it'll be fun trying at least, cheers!

I'd also wear it over dresses, probably a silk one with a quirky print.

Would be good with jeans and a plain top and brown boots with a chunky silver necklace.

Can I put my Hobbs jacket here now and pinch more ideas please? smile

Katy13010 Mon 19-Sep-11 20:25:11

Yes do that! Seems to me there are a lot of fashionistas lurking in these parts, you'd get some good advice!

Sometimes I find I just wear an item of clothing with the same old things - a different person's perspective can give you some fab new ideas!

This is it. So far, I've only worn it with a grey and navy striped jersey dress. Any more ideas much appreciated!

JennyPiccolo Mon 19-Sep-11 20:49:46

A bright arran knit jumper? They have a red one on asos that would be nice( am on phone so cant link)

animula Mon 19-Sep-11 21:07:55

Remus: tight or straight-legged fawn chinos + breton top. Fawn cargo pants and grey, red, white T-shirt. Also jeans. Would wear trousers to ankle with ballets/ankle boots or high heels if feeling fashion-y.

I like both those jackets. I have a tweed jacket and am intending to wear it with above knee skirt, cropped trousers and also dresses. I'm aiming to take it in an American preppie sort of direction and/or English eccentric (think Vivienne Westwood Tartan look from ages ago).

animula Mon 19-Sep-11 21:08:56

Remus: red and royal blue trousers will work too, imo.

Sorry but the idea of me in fawn, red or royal blue trousers is terrifying. I do have some grey skinny cargo things though so will try it with those but suspect it would make me look rather too top-heavy as I'm slim of leg but norky.

I've got some 7 eights skinny jeans that might work with it but would probably need a slightly longer/loose top under it. I like the idea of trying it with jeans and a red t-shirt; I have some red ballet flats too.

Thanks. smile

7 eighths

Ifancyashandy Mon 19-Sep-11 23:35:50

Katy I love the jacket but think you need to be careful of wearing it with jeans, chinos or flat/ballet shoes - that's quite a 'home counties' look and can be quite ageing.

I'd play on its Vivienne Westwood references and put it with a hobble skirt and round toed platform courts.

Or jodhpur style trousers (but not in cream / fawn - that would be too much!).

hodgypodgy Tue 20-Sep-11 11:38:41

Hello Remus. Now that jacket is more office-y and I'd stick it on over: sleeveless shift with a pattern (not too plain I mean), bright jersey wrap dress or jeans and bright stripey Brora cropped mohair jobby!! But then after getting to the front door I'd bite bottom lip do an about-turn and go and put jeans on! Officey jacket needs something less serious or you'll resemble Miss Jean Brodie.

hodgypodgy Tue 20-Sep-11 11:39:23

Oh and brogues with it not heels or you will look like you're trying too hard!!

Katy13010 Tue 20-Sep-11 14:05:49

Remus - that is a lovely jacket - and a bargain if you managed to get it at that sale price! Wow! What about wearing it with a lively dress or tunic over leggings - perhaps one like this www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1017&productid=0111-5659-3233L00&productvarid=0111-5659-3233L00-BLUESTONE-6&refpage=1225 (obviously there are many more other shops apart from Hobbs, but I just saw this whilst I was checking out your jacket!) It depends on your age/body shape etc of course, but I like the contrast of the funky print with the navy blue block colour. Perhaps wear with some slouchy knee-high (suede?) boots.

Ifancyashandy - Yep, could very easliy start looking way too 'home counties' with this jacket - my main concern!! shock Do you think that I could make it look younger with contemporary jewellery and shorter/mini skirt and boots? I assume if I keep the colours bright and modern, steering clear of any more natural-coloured clothing I will avoid looking like a horse-rider! (not that there is anything wrong with that of course, or indeed the 'home counties' look - but it's just not me!) wink

forrestgump Tue 20-Sep-11 14:13:43

it is a gorgeous jacket Katy, I love the shape, am very jealous! ( I like the home couties look!)

Thanks both. Love the phrase, 'lively dress' and have a beautiful silk Phase Eight one with a feather print, that I could try the jacket over. I also quite fancy the idea of wearing the jacket over a red dress perhaps, though I'm yet to find THE red dress that has been in my head for months!

Katy - I think yours would be fine with a mini but obviously avoid the full-on Joules catalogue look and whatever you do, don't wear Hunter wellies. smile

Katy13010 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:15:22

Thank you forrestgump I hope I do it justice! :-)

Remus - red dress, fantastic! The Phase Eight dres sounds ideal - I often wear summer dresses in the winter with tights and boots (if the dress colour will suit darker colours too) so you can get more wear out of them.

Enjoy your new jacket!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now