Talk

Advanced search

Quick question....can I take up jeans?

(16 Posts)
Honeydragon Sun 18-Sep-11 23:26:03

I've found a pair I quite like but they only come in 32" leg, I take a 28".

Can I buy them and take them up? Is this ack and a bad thing, would I be judged?

Or shall I persevere with the search?

DoubleDegreeStudent Sun 18-Sep-11 23:32:53

What style are they? I had some straight leg ones taken up (but by a tailor just to be on the safe side) and they are fab, but I can't see it working with bootcut ones or flares or something.

Popbiscuit Sun 18-Sep-11 23:36:31

Absolutely! I get all mine taken up. Find a good tailor shop and they will be able to give you a choice of hem (plain or matching the original hem if it's fancy-shmancy).
When I took my first pair ( I only discovered this a few years ago) there were LOTS of jeans waiting to be altered so I think they can do pretty much anything. Usually they will make you try them on and pin them to where you want (take the shoes or boots you'll be wearing with them).

Honeydragon Sun 18-Sep-11 23:38:12

I can do a plain hem, and they are straight leg..... just wasn't sure where we stand on things like this now we are grown ups? wink

DoubleDegreeStudent Sun 18-Sep-11 23:41:51

Just do it and keep quiet! I endured years of having my jeans soaking up five inches of water and have finally seen the light - whenever it rains I am smug smug smug I had them done.

NestaFiesta Sun 18-Sep-11 23:46:32

Yes, I always take my jeans up. It's not hard to do it yourself.

Popbiscuit Sun 18-Sep-11 23:49:51

I'm not a S&B maven but I think that having a good tailor or being handy with a needle and thread is an essential part of a grown up lady's wardrobe. I always have to do something with trousers so I'd be lost without my tailor. I'm envy you can take up jeans all-by-yourself. Respect.

Honeydragon Mon 19-Sep-11 00:08:30

phew.... I shall try on again and then commit wink

ladyasriel Mon 19-Sep-11 09:16:27

Sorry for hijack but this may be useful to OP... do you need to wash jeans before you have them taken up? do they still shrink?

NestaFiesta Mon 19-Sep-11 09:42:13

wash them first to get rid of lose dye and get any shrinkage out of the way. turn them inside out, fold the hem up to where you want and then invisible stitching all the way round. Turn them right way round and voila!

Honeydragon Mon 19-Sep-11 09:47:39

yes wash first. I also wonder web trousers for a couple of weeks days, so I am happy they hang right. I have also been known they leave them webbed if they look ok and can't be bothered to unstick and sew

ZacharyQuack Mon 19-Sep-11 11:45:53

You can take up jeans and keep the original hem. Have a look here or google "how to hem jeans"

Measure how much you want to take off the length.
Turn the jeans inside out and make a pleat at the bottom of the leg with a width equal to half your "take up measurement". So if you want to take the jeans up by 6cm, make a 3 cm pleat.

Sew, using a zipper foot, so that your line of stitching is as close to the original hem stitching as possible. Press the fold/pleat up towards the top of the jeans, handstitch it to the side seam to keep it in place.

Turn right side out, press and voila! perfectly hemmed, looking like shop bought.

The beauty of this method is that you don't have to cut the fabric, so if you muck it up you can just rip out your stitching and start again.

FreddieMercurysBolero Mon 19-Sep-11 11:51:07

I have a 28inch leg and find that Wear jeans fit well, in the 'short' size. I this you can buy them online...

FreddieMercurysBolero Mon 19-Sep-11 11:51:39

*A-wear.

Wigglesmummy Mon 19-Sep-11 16:14:30

Zacharyquack I love that tip. How much easier ...

Honeydragon Mon 19-Sep-11 16:49:04

MIght give it a go. Those Awear jeans look quite good too.

Thanks for all the tips o didn't expect this to be such an enlightening thread grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now