Talk

Advanced search

brightened nude-ish lipcolour?

(61 Posts)
SayItIsntSo Sun 18-Sep-11 18:06:57

this is a long shot, I've recently discovered Brothers and Sisters (US family drama) and love the natural but not dead-looking lip colour they have on (even the men have lovely natural-bright lips). I only have one lipstick in the world blush and that's a bright pale orangey coral, the only thing which doesn't make me look dead, but I can't wear that every day as it's a bit too much of a "look". I've been searching for another lipstick or lip balm but can't find anything: I had another pointless afternoon in John Lewis yesterday.
I want something which is a pale-ish, natural looking but brightish colour for everyday. Proper nudes make me look like the undead (I am very pale but with a greyish cast to my skin, gorgeous huh?). Do you have any thoughts?

southeastastra Sun 18-Sep-11 18:10:11

someone on here recommended no 7 in chic and i use that everyday.

it's just a natural lip colour and looks slightly pinky but not too much iykwim

i am pale skinned too grin

SayItIsntSo Sun 18-Sep-11 18:21:03

ooh thanks, I will have a look for that. My lipstick collection might go up by 100 per cent ...

Gillybobs Sun 18-Sep-11 18:25:14

Bobbi Brown lip colour in "nude" is the holy grail I kid you not (recently mentioned in Guardian Beauty columnists "Lipsticks that suit everyone") Its not like traditional nude lipsticks in that its not pale, its more a warm toned orangey/brown but Im telling you its FANTASTIC

SayItIsntSo Sun 18-Sep-11 18:33:17

thanks Gillybobs, that's another one added to my list of things to try! Just had a google and it looks very pretty, we'll see if it can combat my zombie complexion ...

lou33 Sun 18-Sep-11 18:36:20

The MUA range in Superdrug has some nice colours, and they are under £2, so if you don't like it you haven't wasted a lot of money.

cairnterrier Sun 18-Sep-11 18:38:32

Avon lipstick in Frozen Rose, 'tis my new favourite every day lipstick. Only £3 and if you order it and don't like the colour then you get your money back.

HTH smile

msbunbury Sun 18-Sep-11 18:48:05

The body shop do a very good nude colour number 56.

I just bought the No 7 Chic last week with my £5 voucher and agree that it is natural looking but perks up a pale complexion nicely (pale here too, with dark brown hair).

MissBeehiving Sun 18-Sep-11 18:57:18

Watching with interest. Sent DH in for the BB Nude yesterday when he was in town. The girls at the BB counter laughed grin at him because it's out of stock everywhere. He is now permanently scarred wink

SayItIsntSo Sun 18-Sep-11 18:58:22

Thanks lou and msbunbury - haven't been to superdrug or bodyshop in ages so I'll pop in.
Cairnterrier, Frozen Rose sounds lovely, I've been impressed with Avon eye make up (I have a lot of eye makeup no lipcolours it seems!).

SayItIsntSo Sun 18-Sep-11 19:07:39

ha, missbehiving, I sent my DH to buy a revlon top coat nail varnish, as he was off to boots for child supplies, apparently he was trying to work out whether it was nail care or beauty, he gave me a run down of his thought processes, I think it took him hours.

Whoknows - I am going to look at the No7 chic as I now have a boots voucher ...

DonaAna Sun 18-Sep-11 19:17:58

For me, Chanel Coco Rouge Gardenia and Camelia are "nude" pinks that also brighten my face.

ladyasriel Sun 18-Sep-11 19:26:55

I love Laura Mercier Brown Sugar.

Gillybobs Sun 18-Sep-11 19:36:20

I see the Bobbi Brown Nude is out of stock online too...hmmm..the nearest one I have to Nude is the Brown (also by Bobbi Brown) It is slightly darker but still lovely warm neutral shade, it just has a little less orange in it than the Nude. I will use my Nude sparingly then...

nogoodusernamesleft Sun 18-Sep-11 19:43:27

MACs Freckle Tone is lovely, as is NARS Belle de Jour, I had the same problem but Freckle Tone is my new fave!

SayItIsntSo Sun 18-Sep-11 19:56:34

Thanks DonaAna, added to the list. Ladyasriel, Nogoodusernamesleft, they all look beautiful. I've been googling away and all the lip colours look so different on to how they look in the tube, also so different on different bloggers! So I'll have to get systematic and try them in real life.

Gillybobs - I don't think I was even offered the Nude in BB at John Lewis yesterday, unless the SA entirely misinterpreted what I wanted ...

Vizzini Mon 19-Sep-11 00:02:49

Another vote for MAC - Freckletone. I'm very pale but this looks great on me. I'm on my third tube as I love it so much!

SayItIsntSo Mon 19-Sep-11 00:34:28

Great - I'll have a look at Freckletone. In some photos it looks quite peachy then on a couple of blogs it looks a bit beige. Please tell me it's a bit peachy ;)

NotADudeExactly Mon 19-Sep-11 00:36:01

MAC Ravishing.

It's kind of nude-ish but actually a sort of warm, peachy orange. Warms up your face instantly.

SayItIsntSo Mon 19-Sep-11 00:59:48

wow, that looks very pretty NotADude, seems I am due a visit to MAC!

I think one of the reasons I have a lip colour crisis is that I don't have enough of them (has been a vicious circle). I think I need a brightened pinky nude and a brightened peachy nude for a start, then perhaps a less pale nude like the bobbi brown ...

polyhymnia Mon 19-Sep-11 11:19:49

Have quite a collection of nudes - my favourite, in a very sheer texture. Latest additions are Armani Sheer in No 37 and one of the new Lancome L'Absolu Nu collection, which you also might want to look at. Must say I always come back to Bobbi Brown though!

tigerbear Mon 19-Sep-11 11:20:31

Op I've bought loads of nude-ish types of lipstick, gloss, balm, etc and the best I've found is Loreal Colour Riche in No 285. It's a pinky brown colour (not too brown though, as too much can make teeth look yellowy) and feels and looks rich and luxurious. It really brightens my complexion.

However, in my quest for the perfect one, I've now got quite a collection.
I've got a Francois Nars lipstick in Niagara if you want it for free, plus a Natural Collection gloss in Peach Melba. PM me if you want them and I'll pop in the post today. Look out for my free makeup thread - have lots I need to clear out. Will start the thread later today...

ireallyagreewithyou Mon 19-Sep-11 13:08:15

bb nude?

doglover Mon 19-Sep-11 19:23:02

Just bought some BB lipstick - really impressed with the colour (Desert Rose, I think), consistency and staying-power. Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now