Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to stop feeling old and mumsy?

(17 Posts)
CeliaFate Sun 18-Sep-11 15:06:42

I've fallen into the mumsy trap of bootleg jeans and ankle boots.
How can I crawl out of the trap and into something smart/casual and trendy for everyday wear?
I'm 41, size 10-12. Tummy is a problem area, everything else is ok for an old gimmer wink. I'm ALWAYS cold so need layers/warm things.
What would you recommend for me?

Gillybobs Sun 18-Sep-11 16:42:56

Decent non bootleg jeans : ))))

Dark indigo straight legs are great, Levi curve ID or Gap real straight work for me. Not too skinny and unforgiving but can be tucked into boots. Which brings me to my next point....

Get knee high boots (flat or smallish heel) and tuck those jeans in! Looks so much more youthful. Ive just bought these and could honestly walk miles in them

Decent long sleeve tops with a nice bit of stretch to layer under cardi's/knitted waistcoats etc for warmth. I like stripey tops like this or I wear more "blouse" type tops with cardis over and a nice pendant or earrings for slightly more dressed up casual. Dorothy perkins have loads of lovely things like this

Finishing touches make a difference to me too, a printed scarf, a nice leather bag and always having your lippy on ; )

HTH

orienteerer Sun 18-Sep-11 16:48:17

Gillybobs - I have a problem finding "decent" non bootleg cords, I can find jeans but am currently looking for cords/moleskin type. There are plenty of straight leg one out there except they are all the dreaded "low rise"sad, I need "high rise" to cover a multitude of sinsgrin.

Gillybobs Sun 18-Sep-11 16:59:36

Have you tried Boden. They tend to be much higher rise than others. Theres a 20% off code at the moment too...here By the way, their "skinny" tends not to be too tight, more of a slim straightleg

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sun 18-Sep-11 17:37:54

I was stuck in a rut last winter and discovered some grey, low heeled, ankle boots. I wore them all winter with grey woolly tights (patterned) and jumper dresses or a denim mini. I tend to layer up on vest tops to keep me wamer too.

It made a real change from the jeans I always wear and I got loads of compliments.

I tend to go for a denim mini, thick tights and a slightly slouchy v neck jumper plus knee high boots; OR skinny jeans and a longer top and knee length boots - often a stripey long sleeved t-shirt with a longer, short sleeved cardi over the top so the stripes still show on the arms; OR a jersey dress with a long-sleeved top layered under and a cardi layered under - and the same old knee high boots; OR straight jeans slightly rolled up with heeled ankle boots; I have a couple of decent coats and lots of scarves, to dres sup boring things.

Love those Hush Puppy boots btw.

southeastastra Sun 18-Sep-11 17:59:51

i second levi demi curve, they're so comfortable, they hold my jelly belly in a treat grin

Gillybobs Sun 18-Sep-11 18:22:28

Remus I am evangelical about my new Hush Puppies boots. Look much more expensive too (imo!) Love all your outfit suggestions, right up my street.

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 18-Sep-11 18:27:01

Gillybobs - But isn't pretty much everything you linked to "mumsy" too? Not really a criticism, they look exactly like the stuff I wear, but IMO the jeans tucked into knee high boots with a tunic top is the mum uniform of 2011 in just the same way that bootcut jeans and block heel black boots with a polo neck was 10 years ago.

Gillybobs Sun 18-Sep-11 18:30:27

I guess so but the op was asking for advice on how to get out of bootcuts/ankle boots so was offering helpful (I hope) suggestions for practical alternatives to that. Wouldnt ever profess to be cutting edge. Or did I misinterpret the op's question?

orienteerer Sun 18-Sep-11 19:05:41

Gillybobs - if I'm a M&S 14L (i.e. generous fitgrin) what would I be in Boden?.......16 I suspect?

CeliaFate Sun 18-Sep-11 19:09:58

Gillybobs you didn't misinterpret my question. Thanks for the suggestions smile

olddog Sun 18-Sep-11 19:26:22

I wear calf length biker boots with skinny jeans or leggings and jumper dresses but I wouldn't say I'm not mumsy tbh. Oasis have some nice knitwear. I avoid those cardigans where the front comes to a big point by your knees, asymmetric hems, block heels, low cut tops or bootlegs.

Gillybobs Sun 18-Sep-11 19:32:03

orienteerer Hmmm...I find Boden reasonably generous too though so possibly 14L too. The reviews can be helpful, I'd have a look at them as obv sometimes a garment can run big/small. hang on....right, just read reviews and they are coming up big so def dont size up!

orienteerer Sun 18-Sep-11 19:34:21

Thanks Gillybobsgrin, this thread might have given me the push I need.

Gillybobs Sun 18-Sep-11 19:58:32

DO report back!

LukeWarmMomma Mon 19-Sep-11 11:04:57

Remus you mentioned jersey dresses, has anyone seen any nice one's around ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now