Talk

Advanced search

Foundation brushes - can I get a cheap one or are they rubbish?

(14 Posts)
PassTheTwiglets Sun 18-Sep-11 12:04:29

Have never used a brush for foundation but want to try. Do I have to pay £silly for a MAC one or can I get a cheapy one from Superdrug? I'm not sure if it's a 'you get what you pay for' thing...

FaffTastic Sun 18-Sep-11 12:20:20

Wouldn't get the one from superdrug but the body shop does a cheap good value one - about £10 I think - that has received good reviews.

QuinnFabray Sun 18-Sep-11 12:21:03

You do generally get what you pay for, although there are some good cheaper alternatives. The Sigma HD brushes are really good. I would recommend a stippling brush rather than flat foundation brush, as the result is usually better. Samantha Chapman's Real Technique brushes are good too.

PassTheTwiglets Sun 18-Sep-11 12:29:35

Thanks, both of you! What on Earth is a stippling brush?!

mippy Sun 18-Sep-11 12:55:17

Google 'MAC 187' - they look like that. GOSH at Superdrug do one, and I have a Bare Escentuals one I bought from eBay (search for 'feather light'). They have a much better finish than the flat ones.

PassTheTwiglets Sun 18-Sep-11 12:57:48

Thank you, mippy!

IrmaMuthafucker Sun 18-Sep-11 12:58:53

I have one from Topshop of all places that is good. Think it was £7

ScarletLady01 Sun 18-Sep-11 13:53:55

I bought a fake MAC one from ebay (like the MAC 187). I knew it was fake but thought I'd give it a go, it's fantastic and was only 4 quid.

Be aware pretty much ANY MAC on ebay is fake.

whackamole Sun 18-Sep-11 14:16:30

I have the Body Shop one. It is fine, I don't use it often as I tend to use liquid foundation so I just get streaks and then have to blend with fingers or sponge anyway.

I bought a cheapy one from Primark actually - was £1 and fine! I lost it though, and then treated myself!

PassTheTwiglets Sun 18-Sep-11 14:19:56

Oh, eek, maybe I've got the wrong end of the brush stick! I thought the brushes were suitable for liquid foundation? I hope so, as I've just ordered the Bare Escentuals ones from ebay.

mippy Sun 18-Sep-11 15:01:49

If it's the stippling/two-tone brush, I use it and it's really good. I don't get on with the flat type.

PassTheTwiglets Sun 18-Sep-11 15:05:44

I think it's that one - it's the 'feather light' thing that you mentioned.

SnapesOnAPlane Sun 18-Sep-11 15:11:31

Pixiwoo fan, Mippy? grin
I hate all foundation brushes/putting on foundation with a brush, iykwim. So I'd say try a cheapie one of a few varieties first, such as a buffing brush, bigger stippling/flat ended brush, wedges...
Then you can see which type of brush you prefer using for foundation without buying an expensive one, and then buy a more expensive one of your favourite. smile
long winded much?

ggirl Sun 18-Sep-11 15:18:49

I have bought brushes from here adn they are fantastic quality. Haven't bought a foundation one though. Will prob order a stippling one now to try it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now