Talk

Advanced search

Waxing and Ingrown hairs

(7 Posts)
PolkaDotsAndPumpkin Sun 18-Sep-11 09:50:22

Am hoping someone can prove my theory (or set me straight - either is fine smile)

Twice in the 6 or so years I have been having bikini waxes I have had bad episodes of ingrown hairs.
Both times, it seemed to me that the beautician was in a hurry. The first time, she was a bit pissy with me for being 2 mins late (fair enough, but I don't think it warranted such retribution!).

The second time was a place I had not been to before and the woman could not have seemed more disinterested and in a rush to get me out the door if she had tried. This second beautician also waxed the largest sections I have ever experienced, iyswim. At the time, I thought, well great it'll be over sooner but now (as I try valiantly to get rid of the last 2 stubborn ingrowns) I'm thinking this may have had something to do with it.

Thoughts? (Oh and suggestions for how to get rid. I always exfoliate for a few days after a wax, and use aloe vera gel too)
TIA

Karbea Sun 18-Sep-11 10:17:01

Hi,

You get ingrowing hairs after waxing because the tip of the new hair is thiner than a hair that has simply had it's end cut off (shaving) also shaving using a blade is a great exfoliator, so again less likely to ingrow.
It's nothing to do with the therapists, just a coincidence.
You need to exfoliate regularly as the hairs begin to grow back, to help them break through the skin. I also used to use a liquid called Tend skin, which might help you.

Karbea Sun 18-Sep-11 10:18:05

Oh and because the new hair is thiner it can't break through the skin.

Sorry didn't think I'd explained very well...

willybreeder Sun 18-Sep-11 10:23:31

I agree with Karbea, although when your waxing you have to pull the strip or the wax (if it's hot wax) the opposite way close to the skin, if you pull it up and out the hairs can break off under the skin instead of sticking the the wax causing ingrown hairs. (not sure i've explained well either)! Moral of the story is to go to a beauty therapist whose been recommended and exfoliate a lot.

Northumberlandlass Sun 18-Sep-11 11:33:20

I get waxed every 5 weeks with the same beautician / therapist, sometimes I get nasty ingrown hairs, sometimes I don't.

I second the vote for Tendskin, the instances of ingrown hairs have vastly reduced since I started using it. I exfoliate regularly too.

If you don't want to use Tendskin then I sometimes use neat tea tree on nasty ones .

I used to get them terribly and had given up on waxing, then I started doing it myself and combined it with daily body brushing and have never had another one.

Bikini wise, I only take off the pant moustashe though, I can imagine if you are having a hollywood lots of the skin would not be so brushablegrin

PolkaDotsAndPumpkin Sun 18-Sep-11 23:23:54

Thanks ladies - will stop thinking dark thoughts about those particular beauticians grin

Will up my game on the exfoliating front as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now