Talk

Advanced search

So what SHOULD a woman in her late forties be wearing?

(37 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Sat 17-Sep-11 17:14:37

. . . if late forties is too old for jeans?

. . . and if she likes wearing jeans and boots and leggings and long tops and all that, and that's what she has always worn?

Does it have to be per una? Worse still . . . does it have to be < whispers > expensive, capsule-wardrobe classics?

Can I no longer buy cheap stuff?

I went to the shops today, and I nearly howled like a wolf in the high street "But I am too ooooooooooooooooold!"

I NEED HELP

carpwidow Sat 17-Sep-11 17:16:54

this

ByTheSea Sat 17-Sep-11 17:17:10

I'm still wearing all that stuff I shouldn't be wearing, according to your post.

carpwidow Sat 17-Sep-11 17:17:38

Sorry balloonSlayer - bit premature - this is fifties grin

Bonsoir Sat 17-Sep-11 17:22:19

Anything you like! wore my http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/fr/en/zara-W2011/122009/387355/LEATHER%2BMINISKIRT Zara gold skirt today, with a Marni padded cape (in khaki/black), white Vanessa Bruno blouse and black knee high suede boots and anthracite tights and felt great. Am thinking about buying Zara sequinned skirt to wear with a huge mohair knit (as yet to be identified).

Pagwatch Sat 17-Sep-11 17:22:54

Come shopping with me. I look lovely. grin [rueful]

But jeans are fine for late 40s. It is less to do with what you wear and more to do with how you wear it. I can't wear jeans. I tend to spend more because I need more structure in what I wear.

But never ever shop in per una until you are 70 plus. Actually my mum is 79 and she thinks it is frumpy.

I shop at Nicole farhi, day birger mikkleson, comptoir, lk bennett, some fancy designer stuff but also miss self ridge and h&m. you just need to buy less and figure out what suits you.

MrsRobertDuvall Sat 17-Sep-11 17:22:58

I know what you mean .
I am 51 and look around in despair.

I do wear skinny jeans, slim black trousers, leggings and boots, long fitted tunics.
I bought a couple of nice tops in Monsoon this week and a lovely blouse in BAnana Republic.
Disclaimer..I do not wear per una.

Bonsoir Sat 17-Sep-11 17:23:47

Zara gold skirt

carpwidow Sat 17-Sep-11 17:24:35

oh Bonsoir Will you be my stylist? smile

hellhasnofury Sat 17-Sep-11 17:25:00

Best I go hide somewhere now. I wear all those things and I'm 48.

noddyholder Sat 17-Sep-11 17:25:43

I am 46 I am wearing skinny jeans navy and cream striped t shirt long navybfine Cardigan coat new ash studded ankle boots and I have long hair too so shoot me!

Bellavita Sat 17-Sep-11 17:26:15

Balloon, I wear all what you wear and will carry on doing so.... I am 46.

TrillianAstra Sat 17-Sep-11 17:28:18

A woman in her late 40s should be wearing whatever she damn well pleases.

HTH

smile

Bonsoir Sat 17-Sep-11 17:28:33

Sure, when do you want to hit the shops smile?

vividgingerchilli Sat 17-Sep-11 17:28:51

Whatever she likes. When I am not at work I wear skinny jeans (which are not skinny now I've lost weight) and t-shirts or cotton khaki trousers and trainers.
I'm not sure what I'd choose if money were no object, I choose my clothes based on what is in the charity shop in my size. I like jeans though

carpwidow Sat 17-Sep-11 17:30:17

My 14 year old DD is always pinching my clothes - I'm 47 and thrilled about it!

carpwidow Sat 17-Sep-11 17:31:11

...ps she looks great in my "I love Justin Bieber" t-shirt grin

(that was a joke by the way)

Bonsoir Sat 17-Sep-11 17:32:32

I'm sad because I can no longer borrow DSS1's jeans (he has grown too big!) - he thought it was cool and so did I!

motherinferior Sat 17-Sep-11 17:36:37

I am 48. I wear jeans. Skinny jeans, sometimes. I wear leggings sometimes. I wear boots. I wear dresses sometimes (and here, reluctantly, I have faced the fact that frocks that flap around mid-thigh do look absurd on me now).

I look pretty nice, most of the time.

BeaOnSea Sat 17-Sep-11 17:37:06

I'm late 40's and wear whatever I like. It honestly never occurred to me that one day I might not be able to wear a certain item of clothing due to my age.
Having said that, I've always been a "less is more" type of person so not much danger of me showing too much flesh.

I'll be wearing jeans when I'm drawing my pension.

GinSlinger Sat 17-Sep-11 17:38:30

I echo TrillianAstra.

But can I put in a good word for capsule wardrobe? Jeans can be part of your capsule wardrobe and there is a lot to be said for a couple of fine things that will travel well

polyhymnia Sat 17-Sep-11 18:42:06

Of course not on OP's jeans question. No upper age limit at all on nice jeans, or on boots, or long tops - in fact it's a look that suits any age. Noone must or indeed should ever wear Per Una.

pinkhousesarebest Sat 17-Sep-11 18:51:20

Bonsoir your Zara skirt is in French Elle this week. it is indeed a thing of beauty.

BalloonSlayer Sat 17-Sep-11 18:58:09

Lots of kind and encouraging advice here - thanks grin

I guess I worry that I am in denial.

I saw a girl in her twenties today wearing tight black leggings to the ankle, little lace-up pumps and a t-shirt and I thought "ooh she looks nice." Fair enough. But I realised that I wasn't thinking it in a "what a nice looking young lady" type of way but in a "I'd like to wear that" sort of way - you see, that was what I did wear, in the 80s, when I was young and - why oh why didn't I realise it? - beautiful.

I know of course the golden rule that you are too old to wear the fashion the second time around. But leggings and long tops were in my comparative youth too . . . am I trying to dress too young and looking awful? I have a nice figure and dread being a BOBFOC (Back Off Baywatch, Front Off Crimewatch).

So next question:

what is better - to dress a bit too young for your age and risk people thinking "what's that old bag doing dressed up like a dog's dinner?" or to dress slightly older than your age and have people think you look bloody fab, "considering." ?

BeaOnSea Sat 17-Sep-11 19:06:28

But I've worn maxi skirts/dresses both times round !!!

I think the trick is to take bits of what is fashionable & mix with more stylish pieces rather than trying to be uber-trendy.

I still get things from Top Shop. You need to be careful sometimes though. I was in Top Shop looking at what I thought was a lovely "top" but it seemed familiar. I was glad I didn't buy it because that night, DS's girlfriend (19) was wearing the "top" and it was a dress! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now