Talk

Advanced search

How to get decent coverage with make up?

(10 Posts)
Ryoko Fri 16-Sep-11 18:32:20

I have acne scares and greasy skin, I never seem able to sort it out.

I have a Boots green concealer, some Maybellen something mineral foundation and cream powder and some organic foundation that isn't very thick, I use a sponge to dab it on and a big brush in the powder but no matter what it never seems to cover the scares and I get shiny within an hour.

what am I doing wrong? is it just the case that I will have to cake it on and apply powder all the time when I'm out or is there some thing else I can do?.

QuinnFabray Fri 16-Sep-11 19:07:57

A good primer to help control oil with help a lot. I use MAC spf 50, there are so many on the market. This one really helps with my oily skin.

A really good foundation for a fuller coverage is Vichy Dermablend, available in boots for about £15. A cheaper alternative that I like is the Rimmel 25 hour one.

I also use blotting paper a couple of times a day to get rid of shine. I get this from the spot remedy section.

PicknMix Fri 16-Sep-11 19:24:21

Blotting paper from the Bodyshop seems to sort out the shine for me. Use it in the afternoon when I don't have time to retouch. I also find their foundation quite good, with a tinted moisturiser underneath.

emsyj Fri 16-Sep-11 19:29:26

I posted a thread earlier today about flat topped stippling brushes for applying foundation. I've just started an evening course in make-up and eye treatments and the tutor demonstrated applying foundation with a stippling brush last week and it is so quick and easy and gives really good coverage - looks natural but covers everything it needs to.

You do need the right foundation to go with it, sounds like yours isn't well suited to your skin. Chanel Teint Innocence is good for oily acne-prone skin (like mine!) and also Estee Lauder Double Wear is very long-wearing and gives good coverage.

I got my foundation brush from www.makeupgeek.com but you can get them from lots of places. I got this one: www.makeupgeek.com/store/mug-deluxe-foundation-stippling-brush.html I'm pleased with the quality of it.

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 16-Sep-11 19:36:39

I have very shiny, greasy skin, within 2-3 hours it is shiny and glowing (not in a good way)

I used Boots No7 Make up primer, in a white tube. Used to be called something else, it is near to the green concealer. It works for about 8 hours on me. My forehead and nose are the worst areas.

I use No7 mousse foundation plus pressed powder on the top.

The blotting papers aren't heavy duty enough for me.

If going out in the evening, I cleanse and tone forehead and nose/chin, then reapply the primer.

Ryoko Mon 19-Sep-11 12:41:01

Thanks for the replies, as I'm tight, I'm gonna get that no7 thing just as soon as I can find 3 other things I want in the no7 offer at the mo grin

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 13:16:26

Have you tried Bare Minerals? I have been using their concealor and foundation for over a year now and would never go back to a liquid foundation.

Ryoko Wed 21-Sep-11 16:57:00

Too rich for my blood, might try some of that when I get xmas money (if I get xmas money).

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 17:47:48

It'll work out cheaper as you won;t need concealor and green base etc and powder. It also lasts months and MONTHS even wearing it every day like I do wink Worth trying out a sample from a department store like Debenhams. I don't have scarring but have rosceasea and it covers it a treat.

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 17:50:33

If you order it from the website FEELUNIQUE it's £18 instead of about £22 -25 in stores AND free P and P!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now