Talk

Advanced search

Is Helly Hansen naff/chavy?

(16 Posts)
PercyPigPie Fri 16-Sep-11 18:27:12

I apologise for using the 'C' word!

Read a comment on here that suggested Helly Hansen stuff may be. Would a waterproof coat be considereed naff?@ [out of touch emoticon]

RunsWithScissors Fri 16-Sep-11 19:35:13

Bump,also wondering about their waterproof jacket

NinkyNonker Fri 16-Sep-11 20:11:44

I always associate them with sailling wear (good stuff) but I think some of it has been hijacked by a 'different' market!

Beamur Fri 16-Sep-11 20:16:48

My DP (an outdoor wear snob of the first order) would say they used to be very good, but are now worn by people as ordinary street wear, so have lost their cachet as a good outdoor brand. I don't know about chavvy tho.

ENormaSnob Fri 16-Sep-11 21:25:45

What beamurs dh said.

meltedchocolate Fri 16-Sep-11 21:27:33

Erm, well let's put it this way. The brand see our local prison an awful lot... That is maybe just my area though? I wouldn't wear them for this reason. On the days that no one has a chance to even look at your jacket because everyone is scurrying to get indoors as quickly as possible I don't think it really matters if you are wearing a waterproof.

nancythursday Fri 16-Sep-11 21:28:36

Dsd got a black hh jacket for school last winter, most of her friends had them. She's 14.

Beamur Fri 16-Sep-11 21:30:30

Mumandmayhem are you wanting an outdoor coat to go yomping up fells or walking up the street?

pinkytheshrinky Fri 16-Sep-11 21:31:39

Yes very chavvy but used to be worn by nice sailing types

Thistledew Fri 16-Sep-11 21:31:39

Doesn't it depend what you are wearing it for? They make good outdoor and sports clothing, and if you are using it for outdoor activities or sport it is not naff. On the other hand, wearing sports wear for anything other than sport is naff. Likewise, wearing outdoor clothing for the trip between your house and car is naff.

upahill Fri 16-Sep-11 21:35:13

I have a snuggy HH fleece that I love and I have a couple of their waterproofs that I have had for years.
I love their Lifa base layers.

Don't know if it chav or not.
Round here it's all Henley and Bench with the occasionaly Superdry

Beamur Fri 16-Sep-11 21:49:04

Words of wisdom from DP
V good technical gear - Paramo (but not cool)
Cool gear - Mountain Hardware and Arcteryx.
He rates Montane too.
Lowe Alpine always good too.

1gglePiggle Fri 16-Sep-11 21:53:03

Yes sorry to say but I associate it with chavs.

AlpinePony Sat 17-Sep-11 08:29:51

I suppose it depends where you live and what the purpose of your purchase is. I live somewhere "quaite naice" and I've never seen it as urbanwear - I wear mine skiing. Otoh, my boyfriend is from Glasgow and turns his nose up...

wigglesrock Sat 17-Sep-11 08:37:50

I'm in Northern Ireland and I'm afraid its the brand of choice at court. Its a bit spidey.

LynetteScavo Sat 17-Sep-11 08:55:55

I'm glad to learn Chavs are spending their money on something practical and sensible these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now