Talk

Advanced search

Best jeans for someone with a spare tyre?

(23 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Fri 16-Sep-11 13:07:17

My current jeans just emphasise my stomach and make me look pregnant. I know I am over weight and struggling to lose weight but don't want to look crap while I sort myself out. I love my jeans and wish I could find a really good pair.

nancythursday Fri 16-Sep-11 13:20:45

I know your pain... I had ds2 6 months ago and although I can fit into most of my pre preg jeans, most are too low waisted and look awful.

I went to gap this week and tried about 15 different styles and sizes. I got 2 pairs that fit higher up my tum and are more flattering.
You need to just try loads on, and don't worry about what the size says, it's the fit that matters.

HTH

Pootles2010 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:23:16

Same here OP, except that i'm not exactly struggling to lose weight...

Problem is you don't want to spend loads on levis etc whilst you lost it. I am currently living in my asda 'straight' jeans, they are pretty high waisted and i can tuck my tummy into them blush

TheOriginalFAB Fri 16-Sep-11 13:24:55

I have a pair from Gap that I bought after a recommendation from a MNter but they are too tight for me already sad. Nothing at all is working for me to lose weight and it is really getting me down.

VelvetSnow Fri 16-Sep-11 13:25:31

I wear high waisted jeans from Next and I feel much more comfortable in these because my muffin top isn't on show

Rosa Fri 16-Sep-11 13:27:54

M&S high waisted with a bit of elastine in them .....Good luck with the diet hope you get where you want to get to !

nancythursday Fri 16-Sep-11 13:28:46

Just to add that I got them from a gap outlet, so they were cheap. Think there's 30% off clothes in the nornal shops this week though.

nancythursday Fri 16-Sep-11 13:29:31

Normal... stupid phone!

YougreatPamplemousse Fri 16-Sep-11 13:30:01

I am on the downward slope hmm so don't want to spend alot on clothes so headed into my ever hated Evans yesterday and bought 2 pairs of jeans straight leg in a 16, they fit nice and high, I can tuck my tummy in and I don't look overflowing any more. As a bargain they were 2 pairs for £30 which doesn't hurt too much!

TheOriginalFAB Fri 16-Sep-11 13:32:35

I have 3 stone to lose. I managed to put 2 stone on without realising when I went on new medication.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 16-Sep-11 13:34:36

I will give both shops a visit, thank you.

Pootles2010 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:52:22

It's horrible isn't it? I hate being like this. The worst thing is, I've lost it before so I can do it, it's just... not happening. And I get so cross with myself because of that.

nancythursday Fri 16-Sep-11 13:57:46

Just to add...
Try to get some with a bit of stretch in them, so you can wear them for longer as your shape changes.

Good luck.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 16-Sep-11 13:57:49

I come from a family where the women were all fat. I have had thyroid tests but the doctors keep saying they are normal when to me they are not. I am seriously fed up of being fat.

talkingnonsense Fri 16-Sep-11 16:22:13

Evans are good, and apparently asda new bum jeans fit highish on the waist and suck you in. New look jeans have lots of stretch, and they may still do my favourite hula jeans in their plus size range ( sorry if you don't need 16+!). Or do leggings/ long top for a while so you are comfy while you lose. And honest, if you have a lot on( saw the thread about your ds), don't stress about losing weight yet. Are you still on the meds that caused it?

TheOriginalFAB Fri 16-Sep-11 16:33:54

I am not sure what size I am on the bottome tbh though I can get into size 14 though clearly I am not really as my belly spills over the top. I am buying large in dresses and an 18 in tops. I am still on antidepressants, and will be forever, but it is a different make. Thanks for what you said. I really appreciate it. I am devastated about my poor boy.

talkingnonsense Fri 16-Sep-11 20:57:26

I feel for you, I hope secondary school will be a better time for him. Are you happy with your ads other than the weight gain? Only I have lost about half a stone on citalopram so wonder if it is worth changing? Anyway, I hope you find sone nice jeans cos I know sometimes little things can really make you feel better.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 16-Sep-11 21:15:33

The ADs I am on now and the ones before were working and I think he changed because of the weight gain and he said I was obese and needed to lose weight. I know I do, I am trying but nothing is working.

madmomma Fri 16-Sep-11 21:46:38

welcome to my world. I can never wear jeans because of my muffin top. I am a total apple, and I also bloat like a bastard, which makes the jeans that fit me that morning cut in like a bitch at teatime. If I ever wear the evil garments I invariably walk around the house with them open. not a good look. Any that fit nicely around the waist look baggy and awful on my arse and thighs. I'm currently debating buying a v expensive pair of jersey, under the bump maternity jeans from Isabella Oliver with a view to wearing them just as normal jeans with a long top after the birth. Hoping they won't fall down.

designerspew Sat 17-Sep-11 08:26:18

I have the same problem. Son is almost 5 months and am struggling to shift the weight. I have a pair of bootcut ones from primark that are higher waisted than their skinnies and cover the belly. They were £9. Not keen on shopping there, but many other high street names aren't any better. Also, charity shops - they have loads of jeans so it's worth seeing if there are any that suit.

talkingnonsense Sat 17-Sep-11 08:46:02

Fab, is your gp nice? Cos it can be a bit of a vicious circle- gain weight, feel more crap, ads have to work harder, more side effects, get fatter...it sounds really shallow but feeling fat can be the last straw when you are struggling anyway. Tbh, I'd buy a nice dress, get my hair done, and focus on the kids, and the depression, and just be fat for a bit, but it is easier said than done. And it is not a crime to be overweight, or immoral, or a problem for anyone else.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 17-Sep-11 09:02:23

I am thinking maybe I need to just accept it. I have an awful lot going on at the moment and the biggest thing is not anything I can talk about, so feeling like I have to lose weight as well and it isn't working os just unfair. Though I am about to go on the wii.
I plan to see my GP asap as I don't care what tests are saying, I have things that are not right and I can't carry on like this.
Thank you for your post. I really appreciate it.

talkingnonsense Sat 17-Sep-11 09:13:09

In that case yes, buy some fab accessories- you don't have to dress badly just because you feel fat- and deal with all the other stuff first. Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now