Talk

Advanced search

Where do you shop for your DC's?

(29 Posts)
cleanteeth Fri 16-Sep-11 12:56:01

DS is 15 months old and needs his wardrobe updating. I want to get everything he needs for autumn/winter, what do I need? Where is good value to shop? I normally just go between H&M and next but I'm getting a bit bored of these to be honest.

Could really do with idea's for a capsule wardrobe for him.

AlpinePony Fri 16-Sep-11 12:58:17

I've got a 15 month old boy and I find H&M very uninspiring, Next seems to want to dress them up as teenagers which I find depressing. Right now I'm loving mini-Boden with lots of bright colours/checks/animals and C&A.

JohnniesBitch Fri 16-Sep-11 13:22:41

been a while since my ds were that age, but boden was a firm favourite. it may be a mn cliche but it did offer the best range of fun, non adult clothing for him.
how about zara for a slightly cheaper range and sainsburys can often offer a good find or two. Joules has some cute bits for toddler boys.

dottyaboutstripes Fri 16-Sep-11 13:22:42

Debenhams, Gap and Boden are where I tend to shop for my boys

nancythursday Fri 16-Sep-11 13:32:46

Gap (i stock up with bigger sizes in the sales) john Lewis and m&s

sparkout Fri 16-Sep-11 13:48:05

Boden, either new if I have an offer/voucher or ebay if I don't as the stuff lasts really well. Frugi is also really nice but the trousers can be quite baggy as are made specially for cloth nappies

accessorizequeen Fri 16-Sep-11 15:02:01

Boden, Zara, debenhams, tu sometimes has good stuff for boys. I think you have to look hard in H&M but tops are great. Buy bits from organic ranges like Pili Pala. John Lewis would be my first choice for a 'capsule wardrobe' but gee he's only 15 months!!

CaptainNancy Fri 16-Sep-11 15:11:29

sainsburys actually have some lovely bright basics, at very reasonable prices- much more affordable than mini boden!

John Lewis too have lovely children's clothes. Their dungarees are great for toddlers- they're lined in winter, so cosy, and very hardwearing.

ceebeegeebies Fri 16-Sep-11 15:18:48

The supermarkets (Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys) are great if you want cheap and cheerful - in particular Sainsburys have some lovely stuff for boys under 5 (I am not impressed by the over 5 years stuff though).

M&S have some good stuff but is not particularly cheap.

I do like H&M as the tops are good quality (my 2DS's have some tops from there that have been through the wash over and over again and look as good as new). Odd as I find most of the women's clothes look cheap and very thin hmm

Depends on how much you want to spend tbh.

soymama Fri 16-Sep-11 15:20:27

Car boot sales

HandbagAddiction Fri 16-Sep-11 20:07:56

Pumpkin Patch....

Fantastic quality, lots of mix and match and it washes really well. DD2 is now wearing DD1s old stuff and I am still finding it has enough wear to be sold via 2nd hand places, or car boots or passed onto friends.

Ambernj1 Sat 17-Sep-11 07:47:12

Majority of my DS's wardrobe is baby Gap and Mini Boden. Most of his trousers are Next (he is short and chunky of thigh so I find them the best fit), also buy a few bits from John Lewis but they can verge on twee. I get cheap tracksuit bottoms from H&M for nursery, as he always comes home covered in paint/flour/dinner...

Would also second what others have said re. Sainsbos, the majority of his nursery t-shirts are from there.

I am quite a fussy cow when it comes to style - he mostly wear plain colours and stripes with the very occasional dinosaur or fire engine thrown in (at his insistence!)

I never buy full price in baby Gap as it is galling to see everything you buy in the sale two weeks later <<bitter emoticon>>

saoirse86 Sat 17-Sep-11 11:10:42

I also like gap, m&s and pumpkin patch. Pumpkin patch are doing half price on shirts and jeans atm. The discount is applied at the checkout. Look [http://www.pumpkinpatch.co.uk/listing/3004/categorypath/boy/little-boy/ here]

Debenhams do things that aren't so teenage like, and try la redoute/vertbaudet.

saoirse86 Sat 17-Sep-11 11:11:16

That was supposed to be like this

Avinalarf Sat 17-Sep-11 14:28:31

I also buy a lot from Next and H&M. I quite rate Next for girls, but not boys. It's all skull-and-cross-bones and surf-dude nonsense.

I get a few bits from Boden (winter coats, summer dresses for DD), but they both need play clothes, really, and I'm not spending Boden-money on stuff they will splash with paint immediately.

I am a big fan of the big supermarkets. Asda in particular do some good stuff, but you have to get in early each season before all the sizes go.

I also buy a fair few basics each season at Vertbaudet.

kplondon Sat 17-Sep-11 16:12:38

saoirse86 I don't know how Pumpkin Patch never hit my radar until your post - it's pretty fab so thanks! My DD is 10 so I still have time to take advantage of it.
As for OP, I always liked La Redoute but I have a girl not a boy - not sure I go in for stolid French style on les garcons.

kplondon Sat 17-Sep-11 16:19:09

Forgot to add that my sister says the key to stylish boys' clothes is fitted shirts; apparently most boys' shirts are cut too boxily. The downside of course is that your son may not be able to develop normally because the cut of his shirts might prevent him from running, reaching and turning but you could always take him out of his stylish clothes for an hour a day to let him move normally.grin

bamboobutton Sat 17-Sep-11 16:26:57

i shop mostly at supermarkets for the kids

also go to H&M

and sometimes zara for knitwear

don't see the point in spending ££ on clothes that are going to get ruined with food/grot/playing

purpleknittingmum Sat 17-Sep-11 16:35:20

anyone know where to go for cheap clothes for 14 year old? I am finding it hard get stuff for my daughter. Might have to try petite ranges in some shops, tried to get her jeans recently and I think she is about a size 8/10 but not in the leg!

dogsagoodun Sat 17-Sep-11 16:43:52

Try Frugi. Absolutely gorgeous children's clothes.

cleanteeth Sat 17-Sep-11 17:04:11

Thankyou so much! I hadn't even heard of some of these places till you suggested them grin Think I will have a look at some of the nicer stores for coats etc but will definately have a look at asda/tesco for tops as he is a messy messy boy!

Do you think 1 coat is enough to last through the winter? how many jumpers/jackets/trousers would you get? I'm a novice at kids clothes!

Gincognito Sat 17-Sep-11 17:06:21

Polarn O Pyret. Pricey but great quality (Swedish brand so the outdoor/winter stuff is especially good).

There's a branch in both Westfields if you're anywhere near London.

Carrotsandcelery Sat 17-Sep-11 17:14:14

Boots used to do a lot of really lovely stuff that didn't look too grown up either. Lots of colour and good prints, that sort of thing. The prices were reasonable too and you also got points as well.

saoirse86 Sat 17-Sep-11 21:54:11

Boots sales are really good too, they go mad reducing things to £1-5. But you have to get in early or they just have newborn and 0-3 left.

I really like PP kplondon especially as I have a DD and their girls clothes are great. I think I had heard of them before but not really that aware until I walked past one day when looking for maternity clothes and getting grumpy because they all looked awful and ended up buying most of my entire maternity wardrobe for £40ish. I even took great pleasure in adding up the original prices and it was over £200! shock I love their sales. Join their VIP club here and they'll send you discount codes and access to sales before it's available to everyone.

LynetteScavo Sat 17-Sep-11 21:57:57

I didn't buy mine. They are home made, with the help of DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now