Talk

Advanced search

Diamond earrings

(18 Posts)
iarebaboon Fri 16-Sep-11 12:12:25

i haven't got my ears pierced......yet

DP wants to buy me a special present

After pondering, I think I'm ready to get my ears pierced and what I'd like to grace my ears are BIG diamonds

Now I have no idea where to look, I know hatton garden would be the place to go but really online would be better

Also I want to make the right decision, I want every day ones so not massive, and more to the point I pretty sure massive ones would be faaaaaar to expensive

Can anyone advise me on where to start learning what I need to know to get the best compromise between quality / size / price

Thanks

LilRedWG Fri 16-Sep-11 12:15:17

There is always Tiffany or you could take a trip to Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.

iarebaboon Fri 16-Sep-11 12:24:50

I've been told Tiffany are all about the name and that ulu can get more sparkle for your buck without the name

Is that true? Or are they a good bet as a trusted and respectable retailer?

London closer than birm. But is brum a better place? And where would i start, I think I'd get overwhelmed and end up slinking away confused <wibble>

HotBurrito1 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:12:46

Although probably too small for you, I wear [http://www.johnlewis.com/58003/Product.aspx these] every day. If you want a claw setting with bigger diamonds you could go for [http://www.johnlewis.com/230448602/Product.aspx these]. I would buy from a reputable firm as my knowledge is slim, but I've no doubt there will be some afficionados on here who know more.

HotBurrito1 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:14:38

Sorry link failure! confused

2blessed2bstressed Fri 16-Sep-11 13:15:26

I was gonna say Tiffany too - you may well be able to get a bit more bling for your buck somewhere else, but if you're going online shopping then they have a great website and excellent reputation, so no danger of being ripped off.
Kudos on the fab present buying husband btw envy

HotBurrito1 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:17:34

www.johnlewis.com/58003/Product.aspx and www.johnlewis.com/230448602/Product.aspx

iarebaboon Fri 16-Sep-11 13:57:56

Thanks

He's feeling guilty. The last of our friends got married last weekend. Leaving us as the only unmatched ones, despite having been together longest, first to have kids etc etc. I've just had our second so this is to salve his conscience <cynical emoticon>

I had a bad experience ordering from Tiffany online a couple of years ago, they kept inexplicably cancelling an order and blaming my bank. Turned out to be their ineptitude after all. Then they sent the wrong thing

I'll check out the John Lewis ones...

iarebaboon Fri 16-Sep-11 13:58:37

Unmatched? Freudian iPhone autocorrect! Unmarried obvs

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:07:16

I have diamond studs, from the jewellry quarter in birmingham, If you order online I bet they would be even cheaper.

Dont forget screw on backs.

I think Tiffany is overpriced tbh, I know a woman with a MASSIVE 3 carat D colour engagement ring and she goes to the jewellry quarter because you can ask for a discount.

Mine are 40 points in total, big enough to be noticed. Not so big that people ask if their real. People ask me if my engagement ring is real. Always so tempted to say it came out of a posh cracker.

Flowerista Fri 16-Sep-11 17:10:12

Mine are from Tiffany, I have had ones that aren't and I'm telling you flat that Tiffany ones are best. It's all about cut/colour etc, but what it means is that they SPARKLE and catch the dimmest light. I love them.

tak1ngchances Fri 16-Sep-11 21:22:00

What's your budget? I have 1.2 carat (half that in each ear), brilliant cut in platinum with 4-claw setting. They are very white E and VVS. I got them in Hatton Garden from a dodgy looking little place. Paid around £1650 for them which apparently was a BARGAIN. Lesson for me was avoid the big branded shops like Tiffany/Boodles!

ameliagrey Fri 16-Sep-11 22:21:45

Just to give you an idea of cost- I have some that are 0.4 carots in 18ct, white gold rub over design and paid around £900 at a very reputable jewellers locally.

There are some good diamond sales online- can't recall the names but google- think one is Cool Diamonds and people rate it.

ameliagrey Fri 16-Sep-11 22:22:25

carats- sorry - and that's 0.4 each earring.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 16-Sep-11 22:28:16

This place has been recommended on here.

I have diamond earrings which are antique - another good option for getting more sparkle for your £££ if you have a reputable one nearby.

iarebaboon Fri 16-Sep-11 22:37:52

Oh I'd love antique ones, if only I'd been passed sone family jewels, sigh

But back to reality, thank you all but you're going to have to spell things out for me, I get the carat thing, that's the weight right?

But what's Points? And They are very white E and VVS what does this mean? I'm going to be too scared to try and score diamonds anywhere unless I cam talk the talk, anyone care to educate me?

MmeLindor. Fri 16-Sep-11 22:40:45

First have a look here for info about diamonds.

If you are going for yellow gold then you don't have to go for perfect colour, and you are looking for eye clean diamonds, not perfect clarity.

Most important is cut, if the cut is bad then the stones will not sparkle, it is well explained here

I bought from here - not earrings, but a ring and it is lovely.

FreeButtonBee Fri 16-Sep-11 22:49:12

My DH got me some from Hatton Garden (as a wedding present that the fool was mad enough to give me at 4am in the morning on our wedding day, eijit! - I would have loved them just as much for Christmas and he could have saved himself a fortune but hey it was a lovely surprise back in the room when i was fucking wasted!)

He basically wandered into all the shops until he found what he liked and then asked the next few what it would cost for the same sort of thing. You;ve got to be fairly chilled about it but quite good fun once you get into the groove. I would defo go back for e.g. a semi precious stone ring or enternity ring and you do feel that it's slightly more transparent than the high street.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now