Talk

Advanced search

heels - just how do you manage to walk in them

(24 Posts)
thestrawberrythief Fri 16-Sep-11 11:13:31

I have just bought a beautiful pair of Irregular Choice shoes. www.irregularchoice.com/shop/search/ in black, very comfy, for a change but I have never grasped the nonchalant art of heel walking.

tips very much appreciated please ladies.

TrillianAstra Fri 16-Sep-11 11:21:29

I think...

practice

arrange your life so you don't have to walk far

ArmageddonOuttahere Fri 16-Sep-11 11:23:30

My mum had lessons as a teenager in the 60's shock

luckily for me, I have fallen arches and never have to trouble myself with such torture devices.

thestrawberrythief Fri 16-Sep-11 11:29:01

lessonsgrin will carry on practising but am thinking I am just too used to flip flops etc.

Haagendazs Fri 16-Sep-11 11:30:26

It depends on the heels in question... I can walk without problem on what used to be classed as high heels. The more recent ones however with a slight platform to make them even higher are impossible to walk in IMHO.

poppydog2 Fri 16-Sep-11 11:35:29

This thread has made me smile! Practice practice practice is the only answer. Or just don't wear them when you have to walk!!!! I have a mother, who when i was 16 explained women wear heels....20 years on i have the shortest calves ever due to always wearing heels/wedges/platforms and could pretty well run a marathon(well maybe a slightly shorter distance) in heels. So i guess practice is the answer!!

saskia28 Fri 16-Sep-11 11:49:34

I agree with everyone who says practise, but like weight training, start by wearing low heels everywhere and then move up to slightly higher ones. I always look for thicker soles so you don't feel every crack in the pavement as you walk!

Dorje Fri 16-Sep-11 12:07:34

For 'successful high heel walking' - as Gweneth Paltrow puts it hmm- you need to have strong and flexible ankles.
You need to stretch your instep, so sit on your feet on the floor and this will stretch them. Try this yoga pose Virasana or this one Vajrasana if your knees aren't up to that stretch. You can tuck your toes under for a more extreme foot stretch with Vajrasana.

If you can point your toes and you can arch your ankle than you probably will have no difficulty with high heels, but if, when pointing your toe, you have a flat line from toe to knee, and no arch in your foot, you'll find it more difficult to walk in high heels. So you need to exercise your ankles and stretch them. Sit or lie down with legs off the ground and do rotations of your feet - make little circles with them - to strengthen and stretch them. 20 times one way and 20 times the other as often as you can.

Then strap on your heels and walk from heel to toe, with your feet slightly pointing outward. Move your weight from the heel to the outside of your foot and then to the ball of your foot in a rolling movement. Wiggle your bum - it is the point of high heels after all wink

Easy peasy.

Or just wear dinner / bedroom shoes and take a taxi.
You can look up lessons on youtube, but there are a lot of weird fetish vids out there!! Alternatively have a look at Amy Winehouse's F*** Me Pumps

StellaAndFries Fri 16-Sep-11 12:12:13

Two sticks...

ladybutterfly1 Fri 16-Sep-11 12:33:47

i can walk in heels but boy do you have to go through some crap to wear them once they go down on oneside thats it for me i cant stand straight in them

Jammygal Fri 16-Sep-11 12:35:23

Thanks Dorje ;) for a bit of Winehouse echoing through the house ;)

ArthurMcAffertyhastwocats Fri 16-Sep-11 12:38:02

Take taxis, or keep a pair of ballet pumps in your handbag...

sprogger Fri 16-Sep-11 12:41:18

TBH, I spent quite an enjoyable lunch hour people watching earlier this week and I have to say the vast majority of women I saw weren't very successful walking in the currently fashionable platform heels. I saw at most one or two women, in "normal" high heels, who were striding out. The majority were half-hobbling on platform/stiletto combos, taking tiny short steps and clearly trying not to wobble.

groak Fri 16-Sep-11 12:50:13

Oh, I am sooooo glad I have found this thread! I have never been able to walk in heels, of any height. I just cannot grasp how, when you walk and land on your heel, you can still do that with a heel on. I just clump along like a wobbly camel.

Tbh, I'm now in my mid 30's and generally don't dress 'up' so heels aren't a feature of my wardrobe but I would dearly love to be able to wear a pair of nude patent high heels and confidently stride about!

groak Fri 16-Sep-11 12:50:54

.. and my knees hurt when I've worn 'short' heels on a night out.

Dorje Fri 16-Sep-11 12:56:27

Get your ankles strong and flexible - and roll from the heel to the side of your foot to the big toe - put one foot directly in front of the other, so you walk in a line, move your hips, keep your knees soft, and practice - it helps muchly!

aquavit Fri 16-Sep-11 13:00:35

One of the most nauseating books I've ever read is called 'How to Walk in High Heels', but it does include the sensible (OK, sort of) suggestion that you practice wearing heels around the house (good because you'll end up doing lots of corners, stairs etc which is the tricky part), including doing chores like hoovering where you've got a prop; and by the same token wear them to the supermarket so you can hold on to your trolley.

Pavements are good as they offer good grip.

Move from high but substantial heels to narrow ones - that way you tackle the issue of changed weight distribution first, then face the challenge of wobble in addition.

I may have overthought this.

Dorje Fri 16-Sep-11 13:02:42

Aquavit, that's good advice - i didn't think of wearing solid highs before wobbly highs. <awe> grin

aquavit Fri 16-Sep-11 13:06:06

heh. Curiously I don't think it applies to wedges because they always feel completely different from 'proper' heels to me.

JohnniesBitch Fri 16-Sep-11 13:27:03

yes start with chunky heels before moving onto stiletto type ones. MY favourite pair which I am wering right now, are a black suede pair with a small platform but chunky heels, they are miu miu and £££'s but worth it for the amount of wear i have had from them. I have the same pair in red, plum and navy they really are that comfortable.

JohnniesBitch Fri 16-Sep-11 13:31:17

something similar to this would be a good introduction to heels, even though they are high, the width of the heel makes them easier to walk in.

www.lkbennett.com/shoes/courts/CCPALERO502CROC

thestrawberrythief Fri 16-Sep-11 14:46:19

I am loving the fact that yoga has come into this and aquavit thank you for overthinking for me.
johnniesbitch lovely shoes.

getting the hover out then!

TapselteerieO Fri 16-Sep-11 16:20:07

I love the yoga poses too, bring on extreme heels.

I am looking for some stilts heels to give me extra height to wear for nights out with dresses and jeans, haven't looked properly yet, but will come back to this thread when I need a reminder - hoovering in heels, oh the glamour grin.

thestrawberrythief Fri 16-Sep-11 18:23:06

dorje thank you for writing such a detailed account. Turning the feet slightly out may be the trick and I have a clean floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now