Talk

Advanced search

Decent Facial Moisturiser under £5, does it exist?

(25 Posts)
GeetTallBird Thu 15-Sep-11 20:51:24

I've been using Boots own Vitamin E day and night creams as I read it would reduce areas of facial redness..also make my slightly dry skin happy.
However I just look old and tired, shiny and not glowy. But my skin still feels dry!
I haven't got a huge amount of money so any ideas for mice moisturiser would be lovely.

brighthair Thu 15-Sep-11 20:55:13

Ponds?
Aldi do one with a bit of glowy stuff in it v cheap
I use olay but can't remember how much it is
Boots botanics has some good stuff
Ooh tesco skin wisdom range, ive had some from there that was really good for the price

3littlefrogs Thu 15-Sep-11 20:57:08

Lidl pots of moisturiser / day / night cream are really lovely. Best face cream I have found.

TapselteerieO Thu 15-Sep-11 20:57:08

Barefoot Botanicals SOS is good, I think I got a smaller tube for £9 in local health food shop, lovely and doesn't feel astringent on my skin, I usually use this vitamin E cream with calendula maybe the calendula helps add the extra moisture, it is cheap, but again very simple, not highly perfumed.

warmandwooly Thu 15-Sep-11 21:23:24

Lidl do a moisturiser (spf15) for two ninety nine. Its the mediterian one I think. I use it and I am happy with it.

RamblingRosa Thu 15-Sep-11 21:34:45

Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter.

Or get some vitamin E oil from Holland & Barratt. Not very glamorous but you'll have lovely skin smile

hormonesnomore Thu 15-Sep-11 21:34:51

Simple replenishing rich moisturiser is actually quite a light lotion and agrees with my quite sensitive skin. And it's only £2-£3.

GeetTallBird Thu 15-Sep-11 21:40:57

Ah great, thank you! No lidl near me but if I'm out and about I'll look for that.

reddaisy Thu 15-Sep-11 21:44:00

It has got to be Oil of Olay (still called Oil of Ulay in this house). I'm pretty sure the large bottle is under a £5, if not there is a small one that is. I have tried lots of much more expensive moisterisers over the years but I always come back to this.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Thu 15-Sep-11 21:45:20

I concur boots vie e cream makes the skin heavy,cloggy,shiny NOT light,fresh,vibrant or glowy

Please do not use bottom butter,I bought & it was worse than vit e cream,this was greasy & it now sits beside the bed for lip cream before sleep

boots botanics are fab,light,creamy,smells gorgeous & look good on me

LilRedWG Thu 15-Sep-11 21:47:12

Nivea cream at nighttime and Oil of Ulay in day or Boots Botanics tinted moisturiser. Aldi ones are okay too.

blueskydrinking Thu 15-Sep-11 22:07:19

Nivea is good for me too.

razors Thu 15-Sep-11 22:12:03

Aqueous cream - huge great big tub for a few quid - you won't need anything else.

LauraMercier Thu 15-Sep-11 22:13:36

I've found johnsons moisturisers to be pretty good. The cheapest oil of olay that someone else recommended is pretty good too. Superdrung do a glowy cheap version of beauty flash balm which is nice too.

For dry skin, a creamy facewash might really help too - I'm too lazy for the hot muslin thing but I use the tesco organic cream face cleanser (can't remember how much it is bit it's a large tube, was no more than a fiver, lasts ages) in the shower - leave it on while I shower and then rinse off and my skin is really soft and lovely so I skip moisturiser and use city block and then make up - adding moisturiser to the mix just makes my skin greesy. At night I use one of ther above pretty cheap moisturisers.

daenerysstormborn Thu 15-Sep-11 22:14:49

i've posted it before and i'll post it again, ...nivea. the one in the blue pot, it's all i've ever used.

GeetTallBird Thu 15-Sep-11 22:17:47

What's the hot muslin thing? I have quite dry skin, would this not make it worse?
I will nip to Aldi and Tesco tomorrow, right next door to me work smile and I'll try Oil of Ulay too.
Thank you!

planetpotty Thu 15-Sep-11 22:19:52

Im with Reddaisy on oil of olay and its most definately under a fiver in Wilkos (more in some shops i think though).

Kewcumber Thu 15-Sep-11 22:52:02

Have you considered cleansing with olive oil and wiping off with a hot cloth? I do that when my skin is particularly dry and I find I need only a little extra moisturiser.

willybreeder Fri 16-Sep-11 11:49:35

You should exfoliate your skin a couple of times a week otherwise moisturiser doesn't work properly. Think there are plenty of good recommondations for moisturisers above smile

willybreeder Fri 16-Sep-11 11:49:58

You should exfoliate your skin a couple of times a week otherwise moisturiser doesn't work properly. Think there are plenty of good recommondations for moisturisers above smile

magicmarvin Fri 16-Sep-11 14:05:05

Another vote for Simple here.

The standard moisturiser is good at £2 to £3. I spend a bit more and buy the Regeneration one which has SPF 15. Normally wait until it is reduced or 3 for 2 and buy a few.

GeetTallBird Fri 16-Sep-11 21:16:41

I exfoliate e ery morning with boots foaming vitamin e cleanser, this still ok?

TheGrassIsJewelled Fri 16-Sep-11 21:23:53

Nivea Q10 when it's on half-price (it is in Superdrug at the moment). The 'light' version is especially non-greasy. smile

dinkydoo68 Fri 16-Sep-11 22:04:27

Body Shop Vitamin E Day Cream

GaramMasalaGirl Sat 17-Sep-11 00:50:42

I have quite dry (sometimes flaky skin) and I would be lost without astral moisturiser.

I used to use nivea (the one in the blue tub) but found it very greasy and also felt that is just sat on top of my skin rather than being absorbed right into it.

You can get small tubs of either for a couple of pounds and the good thing is that if neither of them are any good for you, just use them as cleanser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now