Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for what to wear to meet clients?

(19 Posts)
TougherThanTheRest Thu 15-Sep-11 18:43:11

I am a freelance creative and am used to spending the majority of my time working at home in jeans or tracky bottoms or pyjamas but lately I am having to go out and meet clients a bit more - get me! - and I am always unsure what to wear. Jeans seem too casual but a suit or any kind of office wear is a bit formal. I want to reflect the work I am doing and look a bit trendy/funky but not over the top. Any ideas? If it helps I am quite short and booby and roughly a size 14.

tethersend Thu 15-Sep-11 20:44:59

You need some good dresses...

Red

Green

Grey

Pinstripe

and get a more unusual suit like this

TougherThanTheRest Thu 15-Sep-11 21:00:02

I think I might feel a bit uncomfortable/not very 'me' in dresses but it may be something I have to get used to. I like the idea of wearing them with thicker tights and funky shoes - the ones that FC woman is wearing are lovely!

tethersend Thu 15-Sep-11 21:05:45

What do you feel comfortable in?

ArthurMcAffertyhastwocats Thu 15-Sep-11 21:06:35

I do trousers, heels and a top - usually something from Anthropologie or plain white with a lovely scarf. Occasionally a dress - but rarely

scootergal Thu 15-Sep-11 21:07:53

what about a blazer type jacket with some trendy trousers .... i was only yesterday admiring my sis - she had trousers from penneys (11£) a high neck 'victorian' looking shirt (zara ) with a ribbon at the neck and a black blazer (zara) was lovely and she was off to work related meeting. like you she s creative freelance type work... so I think go to the shops ... find a few good basics like the blazer and well fitted trousers ,... try on the newer fits and styles and see what you like on yourself then search around in the for s few 'unusual' or slightly different to the normal formal shirt type
lookbooks of some brands can be good for inspiration...

RamblingRosa Thu 15-Sep-11 21:12:40

I reckon "creatives" can get away with anything. Jeans are fine as long as they're nice jeans. Maybe smarten them up with a nice Zara jacket and some good shoes. I don't think anyone expects a freelance "creative" type to look all corporate and business-like. It's the one profession where you can get away with looking really funky and just wearing what you want IMO!

TougherThanTheRest Thu 15-Sep-11 21:20:46

I've been wearing chino type trousers over the summer and was surprised that they both suited me and I felt comfortable in them. But with the weather turning I'm unsure how to wear them/what with - especially on my feet. I've been going for Converse (probably a no for meetings) or ballet flats but the need for socks means they're no good this time of year, or not for much longer. I think footwear could be key actually - I'd be happy with dark jeans and a nice jacket if I had the right shoes/boots - what might be good to look out for?

I do think a good jacket would be an idea, actually I have a few that might work but I'm not very confident about pulling off any sort of smarter look to be honest - what I am most comfortable in is jeans, t-shirt and Converse or something along those lines. I fear looking over-dressed so tend to veer towards the casua. I don't find my figure helps either, despite having lost quite a bit of weight recently I am still pretty curvy and very booby which means I seem to either look mumsy or tarty, never the well-put-together in between that I am going for sad

LiveYourBestLife Thu 15-Sep-11 21:24:28

First start with a good bra fit for good booby coverage a balcony style bra will give better cover and limit jiggle. Creative types need a signature style so 4 now accessorize with lots of bracelets or bangles or a show piece pendant will look good if worn with a plunge/shaped neckline top in a neutral shade. Depending on your shape a knee length skirt worn with ballerina shoes is comfortable and effortless.

tethersend Thu 15-Sep-11 21:34:16

Have a look at Cos

TougherThanTheRest Thu 15-Sep-11 21:42:18

I've often heard Cos mentioned but never shopped there, will take a look...

TougherThanTheRest Fri 16-Sep-11 18:37:35

Well I went out today for a client meeting and wore skinny black trousers, a fitted charcoal grey t-shirt, red ballet pumps and my black trench coat plus a metallic grey bag. I felt really good and it seemed about right for the situation (although the client was in jeans - typical!) But I am still wondering about what to wear as it gets colder - none of my current winter footwear options are suitable or would have gone with the above outfit. Any more suggestions? (and thanks for all of those so far, I love the idea that being creative means I can get away with anything - if only!)

tethersend Fri 16-Sep-11 22:04:27

How about some ankle boots? Something like this would work well with the outfit you describe above...

TougherThanTheRest Mon 19-Sep-11 14:04:07

I like the idea of those, what a pity if I have to buy yet another pair of boots ... smile

bunjies Mon 19-Sep-11 14:33:15

Oh I love that MaxMara Studio dress.

fluffles Mon 19-Sep-11 15:54:01

i recently wore jeans, a smart lambswool jumper and a blazer to meet a client at a coffee shop.
sometimes it depends where you're meeting them... i'll be wearing a wool dress, thick tights and boots tomorrow to a more conferency thingy where some people will wear suits (i would NEVER wear a suit)

TougherThanTheRest Mon 19-Sep-11 16:20:37

No I wouldn't be at all comfortable in a suit either. I do like blazers though but being quite top heavy they don't always look great on me. I love that look though so maybe need to shop around for a flattering one.

fluffles Mon 19-Sep-11 16:55:15

try pepper berry... is that what it's called? the clothes version of bravissimo.. they do jackets that actually fit!

TougherThanTheRest Mon 19-Sep-11 18:37:55

I havent been in there since they relaunched the clothes bit - I always found the few Bravissimo clothes they did a bit frumpy. Are they better now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now