Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find a couple of winter warm dresses.

(93 Posts)
meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 11:13:06

Hi, I don't want to be stuck in jeans and jumpers this winter. I want to be feminine but warm.

Can you help me find some warm dresses? Either wooly warm long sleeved or dresses that can easily go with cardis (and help me find some cardis). I am Top Heavy (shoulders, not boobs) so need something that kicks out around the hip to balance me out. I don't want to spend more than £40 on each dress but would stretch to more for something fabulous that I could wear again and again! Don't mind colours but not used to wearing anything bright and in your face.

Thanks in advance for any help smile

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 11:19:08

Oh I forgot to say, I am 21, with long brown hair and a size 8-10

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 18:44:18

Bump blush

I want this one which is beautiful irl. It has money off at the moment too.

Ahh just seen how young you are - probably no good then.

It really is gorgeous though -I keep having to drag myself away from it!

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 19:39:50

Ooh it's lovely! The price still would be a stretch for me though. I shouldn't have put my age. I don't really dress young. I think I dress like any late twenties - mid forties woman would blush

pink4ever Thu 15-Sep-11 19:43:49

H&m have some nice dresses in at the moment-jersey with 3/4 length sleeves which could be worn with either long sleeve tees under or a cardigan over. I bought 2 of the skater style ones in black and grey. Dotty p's also have very similiar dresses in-loads of colours for £20.
As you say you dont dress "young" then Wallis also has some nice dresses in.

tethersend Thu 15-Sep-11 20:34:12

Here

Here

Here

Here

Shoulder minimiser

Here

Colour block

Here

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 20:58:54

Remus what have you done?! That dress is 72 quid which is quite a bit more than I wanted to pay but is exactly what I wanted! sad So I either look pretty but have no pennies in the purse or sulk until Christmas.. It would suit my body so much. I want it. Does TWC stuff last well? Thank you Pink I am having a look. tethers I am not daring enough for the short length of that first dress, nor for the pattern on the Holly W dress grin The other dresses are lovely!

tethersend Thu 15-Sep-11 21:03:52

You're 21 and a size 8-10.

envy

If you get the White stuff dress I will sulk until Christmas.

AnyoneButLulu Thu 15-Sep-11 21:07:01

There's loads of skater style dresses out ATM, you should be spoilt for choice. M&S have a nice knee length burgundy one for 40 quid, but I'm sure there are younger cheaper versions.

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 21:25:47

I am very tempted to buy some fabric and he-hem.. 'borrow' the style/pattern of TWC dress and make it myself.

smile Ignore Tethers. She told me not to buy the last White Company dress I had my eye on and I get at least four complements every time I wear it. However, I am MUCH older than 21!

Love the colour of that purple dress, Tethers but some of those dresses look a bit 'cheap' to me. I think the WC one would last much better and because it isn't a 'fashion' dress at all, if MeltedChoc loves that style, it could last her a long time.

Choc - I haven't got a lot from them because they are v expensive but the things that I do have. have lasted really well.

tethersend Thu 15-Sep-11 22:18:32

Hahaha Remus, I love the fact that we agree on most things and then it all falls down when the White Company comes into play grin

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 22:23:06

I think tethers liked the white Company dress, was that not why she would sulk? It is so gorgeous but I am saving for some Duo boots and buying the dress will set me back getting those. Sigh Oh to be rich. You say it will last though, and it could be dressed up or used for pretty casual affairs. 30 quid more than I wanted to pay... so maybe I miss my next hair cut? It's a lot more than I would normally splash out for.

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 22:23:35

Oh so you don't?

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 22:28:38

shock DP just phoned on Skype and I linked him to the dress to see what he thought and he bought it, through my protests! grin

TheSandstoneCat Thu 15-Sep-11 22:30:35

Hey*melted chocolate*, there's 20% of your dress right now!!!

You've ordered it? I am now VERY jealous as I've been drooling over it for ages. I may go and try it on at the weekend, then order it online if I still love it once I've seen it on me!

Tethers - you are right about many things but on the 1970s and the WC, you are sadly mistaken. smile

meltedchocolate Thu 15-Sep-11 22:43:46

I haven't! My DP has! He said 'but I haven't bought you any thing nice in ages!' AArh, I am so lucky grin Remus, you just must buy it! I will feel guilty if you don't, and you don't want me to feel guilty do you now?!

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-11 22:56:09

M&S Autograph has some lovely knitted dresses at the moment. They are cut really well, clinging where necessary but not around the midiff too much! I bought two with a view to returning the one I liked least, but kept both.

TheGrassIsJewelled Thu 15-Sep-11 22:57:59

I got a couple from oasis. smile

TheSandstoneCat Thu 15-Sep-11 23:00:02

CointreauVersial - links please!!

pamplemousserose Thu 15-Sep-11 23:02:48

La redoute jersey dresses are good quality.

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-11 23:19:34

Yeah, yeah, I was being lazy! OK, I bought this one, which comes in a couple more colourways, I think, and this one.

I shall wear them to work and be v-e-r-y cosy.

Also, this looked nice too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now