Talk

Advanced search

Black tie do - help me

(7 Posts)
RayeB Wed 14-Sep-11 11:03:40

Hi

Can you wear a just below knee length dress or does it have to be a long dress? My colleague at work is saying long dress but I can't find one. The only one I found that I liked looked dreadful on me. I'm a size 18 so it's really tricky to find something that doesn't show lumps and bumps as jersey clings to everything. I'm a bit self conscious as well as I've not lost baby weight yet.

I've got a black dress from Next with a black satin bow under the bust. It's really pretty and suits my figure at the moment. I am just not sure on the length thing. Please help me as I'm stuck and the do is next Wednesday...

Thanks

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 14-Sep-11 11:10:09

Soiunds absolutely fine. Shoes will be important, can you do heels? And some special jewellery?

SheetInspector Wed 14-Sep-11 12:40:56

I'm going to a black tie do and I've just bought a just below knee length dress aswell. You'll look great once you've dressed it up smile

CMOTdibbler Wed 14-Sep-11 12:43:43

Black tie means you can wear any length you like, white tie means long dresses

notyummy Wed 14-Sep-11 12:47:17

Unless it is military, where they have fairly strict rules re dress length (inc at black tie - not just white tie) then I would say your dress sounds fine. The main aim is to look 'dressed up' for a black tie do and that you have made an effort. It sounds like you will look great.

RayeB Wed 14-Sep-11 16:13:10

Thank you. I feel so much better about my outfit now. when you say special jewellery, do you mean something big/chunky etc? or is my little silver tiffany heart too simple? Any pointers appreciated.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 15-Sep-11 12:18:15

Sorry if that was misleading, I just meant not every day jewellery, and with silver you can wear more of it. Tiffany heart sounds great - lucky you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now