Talk

Advanced search

Posh frock do with medical collar - style tips, please?

(9 Posts)
SweetestThing Wed 14-Sep-11 09:17:25

Hello stylish ladies smile I have a black tie dinner on Friday but have to wear a large pink protective medical collar round my neck to protect my skin (radiotherapy burns). Should I wear the collar with no attempt to disguise it or wrap a scarf around it and risk looking like Nanouk of the North? Use jewellery to deflect attention?

I have a choice of dresses, including strapless, sleeveless etc and a few wraps.

If any of you stylish ladies could help, I'd be really grateful. My self-confidence is pretty low as I have a swollen face and facial palsy as a result of surgery so anything that might make me feel even a teeny bit less conspicuous would be wonderful.

Thank you.

KristinaM Wed 14-Sep-11 09:42:49

Have mo style advice but just wanted to say respect to you for going out there and having a good time despite medical treatmnet.

Would send a hug but i dont know you and its sooooo un mumsnet grin

Gillybobs Wed 14-Sep-11 09:56:26

Honestly? I wouldnt try to hide it at all. As Kiristina says, much respect to you for everything you are going through.

I'd wear the dress I feel the best in, maybe get a manicure or somesuch pampering treat (always lifts my spririts before an event) and have a great night.

worldgonecrazy Wed 14-Sep-11 10:07:14

Don't hide it. Do book yourself an appointment for a make over on Friday afternoon so that your make up can be done by a professional and give you a boost. Try Bobby Browns or Mac at your nearest department store.

The best distraction is to be cheerful and to smile as much as possible. Even if the palsy is affecting your mouth you can still smile with your eyes. They are what people will notice and are naturally drawn to.

I hope you have a great evening.

CMOTdibbler Wed 14-Sep-11 10:26:06

I think that if you try to hide it, it will become the focus of your outfit, rather than just something you are wearing iyswim.

Wear your fave dress, and book yourself a hair do (or wig set if you are wearing one), makeup and manicure, so you feel as confident as possible

SweetestThing Wed 14-Sep-11 10:59:05

Thank you so much for your tips and encouragement. I can't do the make up thing as one of my eyes has been affected by the palsy and surgery and is smaller than the other one (I paint an attractive picture, don't I?!) but I like the sound of a manicure. My dd is coming through with me to do my hair and she and DH will be attending the dinner with me. I know it will be challenging putting myself on show but I will be amongst friends.

One benefit of the treatment is I have lost over a stone so I can fit into some more dresses, yay!

Thank you again. It really helps. Whether it's unmumsnetty or not, have a (()) from me :-)

KristinaM Thu 15-Sep-11 13:23:59

Have you decided on an outfit yet? Do tell........

SweetestThing Thu 15-Sep-11 13:57:07

I have decided on a lovely black Karen Millen dress, with silver decorative shoestring straps and some similar decorative stuff around neckline. Asymmetrical hem and I have a sheer black wrap to drape around my shoulders, which will keep my shoulders warm and soften the edges of my collar a bit. I shall just brazen it out! I have very little confidence in how I look at the moment so this is going to be a big challenge for me but it's one I have to face - the longer I leave it to face big crowds of people, the more difficult it will be.

Thanks for your help, stylish ladies, and wish me luck!

Loveleopardprint Thu 15-Sep-11 19:39:22

Hi. Just wanted to say that I had to wear a collar for ten months in my twenties after spinal surgery. I know how hard it is to face the world but most people are sympathetic. I used to wrap my collar in a co-ordinating scarf as putrid pink was not my colour!!

Hope you have a great night and good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now