Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to a job interview (should it come to that)

(5 Posts)
MUMoo7 Tue 13-Sep-11 14:44:45

Hi all, I have not applied for a job in 15 years due to relocation to UK and having DCs. Apart from figuring out how to update my CV (another subject) what do I wear? Is it still stricly suits? In our current office where I am sort of working the conservative dress code is being gradually phased out and getting replaced by everyone's individual ideas :-) of casual smart. But an interview is surely a different matter? Suggestions much appreciated!

Bangtastic Tue 13-Sep-11 15:18:34

You can't beat the classics, go for a well fitted trouser suit with a nice tailored jacket, a neutral blouse, and some smart court heels. If you have the legs for it, swap the trousers for a knee length pencil skirt. Keep the hair and make up groomed but simple. It's more important to be comfortable in what you're wearing. You'll probably be nervous enough without having to worry about your clothes.

It's always best to go smarter than more casual in my opinion, save the casual for once you have made first impressions smile

MUMoo7 Thu 22-Sep-11 12:49:09

Thank you so much, I will stick to the classics!

tethersend Thu 22-Sep-11 14:12:00

I agree with Bangtastic, you will never be penalised for wearing a suit to an interview- better too smart than too casual.

You can get a shift dress and jacket suit combo, which gives you more options as you can take off the jacket if you feel that less formal is appropriate- something like this

meditrina Thu 22-Sep-11 14:18:27

You should dress like you already have the job, and at the slightly more conservative end of what that means for the role. Definitely wear a jacket - either a suit, or two pieces that complement each other.

I'd say the no-noes (for most jobs) are denim, cleavage, overpowering scent (BO or perfume!), uncombed hair and hair falling into face, too much make up, extremely high heels, anything see through, too much jewellery, filthy ragged nails, weird colour nail varnish, and pelmets instead of skirts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now