Talk

Advanced search

Eyelash extensions? Worth it or bollocks?

(23 Posts)
Frizzbonce Mon 12-Sep-11 10:10:27

Big Brother Voice You Deciyyyde

I've got quite nice blue eyes but short spiky lashes. Would it be worth having eyelash extensions - or is it just a silly faff? I'm completely cack handed at putting on false eyelashes too so if anyone has any tips I'd be very grateful!
Ta muchly

Fatshionista Mon 12-Sep-11 10:12:29

Watching with interest. Have been considering them as a birthday present from DP.

wildfig Mon 12-Sep-11 10:14:32

A friend of mine had them last time I saw her - she looked unspecifically more glamorous and I couldn't put my finger on why. She later revealed quite gleefully that she'd had lash extensions and now felt so much more gorgeous that she hadn't bothered to go to the gym for two weeks.

Sadly I don't have any more details than that, but I'd say that'd be good enough reason for me to get some.

Frizzbonce Mon 12-Sep-11 10:17:24

Fatshionista I've been googling and their efficacy seems to depend on how good the eyelash adhesive is and the skill of the beautician. But also I hear they last 'up to three months' which as we all know could mean anything.

I hear that it looks amazing but then you get a bit addicted to having lush peepers and have to go back for endless maintenance. Boo. Anyway - see what the MNetters say.

Frizzbonce Mon 12-Sep-11 10:18:20

Oooh thanks wildfig. To feel so good that you don't go to the gym . . . . .

MitchiestInge Mon 12-Sep-11 10:21:32

haha am I your friend wild fig?

I've had them, so many bizarre compliments about 'dewy radiant complexion' and more general positive comments - but they did come out much earlier than planned, and every time I cried it stung sad

also eyes got slightly glued together during process which was not good although only for about half a second

and it was quite expensive I think, maybe £70? I can't remember, too much anyway. Might do it again though

HarlotOTara Mon 12-Sep-11 10:27:04

I had them done and they were ok for about a week and then slowly started falling out so had to use mascara anyway, the gaps didn't look great. I had top-ups every few weeks for a little while but it was a bit of a faff and the lashes only really lasted 1-2 weeks. I followed all the instructions very carefully and it made no difference. They also made my eyes itch a little. Not cheap either. I wouldn't bother unless I could get them done very cheaply.

Pagwatch Mon 12-Sep-11 10:27:37

They are bloody brilliant.

You should get no discomfort at all. If you do complain and don't go there again.

They are pricey and they will only last about three weeks as they will gradually start to shed. That can take longer if you care for then with oil free cleanser on your eyes and if you don't habitually rub your eyes when tired etc. I use all sorts of justifications like the money I save not needing mascara anymore. And actually they look so good I venture out without any eye make up on which I would never normally do. Particularly fab on holiday.

I have never done anything that has had such a swift effect with loads of people saying ' god you look great ' but without being able to identify what had changed.

Bloody addictive though

Catslikehats Mon 12-Sep-11 10:28:33

Definitely definitely worth it. You have to be very close to someone to see that they are extensions, and can't tell at all if they have eye make up on.

madammecholet Mon 12-Sep-11 10:29:41

I've had them for coming up 3 years. The trick is not to have huge ones, I am on 13's, they go up to size 18's...I have curled ones so they look like my natural lash but with a curl up at the end.

I get them filled in every 2/3 weeks. They do shed because the natural lash they are stuck onto has a lifecycle of 2/3 weeks..

I love them.

Frizzbonce Mon 12-Sep-11 10:56:18

Thanks for the replies. Which brand would you use?

HeavyHeidi Mon 12-Sep-11 10:57:01

I have had them a few times, I always ask for short ones - 13 looked ridiculous on me, but 11 was perfect. I agree, looks really nice. But the trouble is that as others have said, they will look this nice for about a week, then start falling out and will leave gaps.
You always have to remember not to rub the eyes, take the rest of the make up off really carefully and so on. I found going for top-ups every 2 weeks too much trouble as well. And no matter what they claim, yes they damage your own lashes - the fake one are heavy and will pull your own ones out faster than they would normally shed.

So I might have them every now and then for a special occasion or so, but not permanently.

Fatshionista Mon 12-Sep-11 11:15:06

How much are top ups?

HowAboutAHotCupOfShutTheHellUp Mon 12-Sep-11 14:28:35

I had them continuously for a year (they are addictive). When the time came for a break, my own lashes had been damaged and took a couple of months to grow back. (I went to a well known and established salon, paid a lot of money each time, but my lashes were damaged nevertheless).

I used 'Revitalash' to help them grow back, and they grew back thicker and longer than before and I haven't needed to revert to extensions; I now have people asking me if I have extensions (this is admittedly when I'm wearing a couple of coats of mascara).

I might have extensions again for a one off (would have to be a v special occasion), but I wouldn't have them continuously, way too damaging.

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 12-Sep-11 14:32:40

I've had them continuously for a couple of years. I had a 3 week break recently and my lashes are fine. I would highly recommend them. I have Mink lashes. Just make sure you get the individual lashes and not the cluster ones.

If you live in Sussex, I can highly recommend the lady who does mine.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 12-Sep-11 19:01:26

I had the opposite problem the buggers would not come off.

I had 18s put on for our wedding and they were eyelure. I was given a tube of stuff to put on every day to keep them strong.

I didn't need mascara while I had them but they really annoyed me by feeling too hard.

So now I use loreal lash serum and I am very happy with results.

Fleecy Mon 12-Sep-11 19:07:53

I have had them done twice (once when I had two weddings and a big night out and once for holiday) and loved it both times. I went for a 12 so it looked like a much better version of my own lashes rather than looking fake. Mine lasted pretty well for about a month each time.

Wouldn't do it all the time but definitely worth it for special occasions or treats.

gregssausageroll Mon 12-Sep-11 19:21:54

If you wear glasses they are a nightmare.

forehead Mon 12-Sep-11 23:14:24

Does anyone know whether fake eyelashes come off if you exercise regularly?

Hatesponge Mon 12-Sep-11 23:23:17

I'm quite keen to have them done.

There is a place near me offering them for £15...which is half the price or less of everywhere else. Am tempted by bargainous price but have visions of them making the lashes from cut-up paintbrushes and gluing them on with superglue blush

Ifancyashandy Tue 13-Sep-11 08:46:48

I adore them and have had them for about 9 months. They are fab! BUT...!

They will not last 8 weeks - more like a month max as, as previous posters have said, you will start to shed them after 2-3 weeks (dependent on how much / often you normally shed eyelashes)

Go and see the therapist and get examples of her work. I went to one who didn't listen to me saying 'I want natural looking ones, not Jordan-esq'. I looked a combonof Jordan and Bambi and hated them. There was another who left globs of black glue at the bottom - horrific! And both of those were stiff lashes. I've now found one who comes to my house and they are AMAZING! Soft, gentle curl, natural looking. But it's £90 for a full set, £60 for an infill.

And yes to buying an oil free eye make up remover (Simple do one) and you can't use normal mascarra (if you need one - I only use it in the evening if I'm doing a full eye make up). You have to buy an oil free one (about a tenner, from the therapist).

I have No idea what my natural lashes now look like!

PollyRoxs Tue 13-Sep-11 12:50:51

Just beware ladies, as I had a terrible experience. I went to my local salon where the staff are very experienced and qualified etc so had no issue having these done for my hen night. They were way too dramatic for the actual wedding left salon looking like a cross between Jordan and Bambi so wanted to remove them the next day. This was not a good move 2 weeks before the wedding. I ended up hysterical at the resulting bald patches with no lashes. I was days with some of the lashes still remaining making a very stark contrast to the gaps until the salon reopened on the Tuesday longest Sunday and Monday ever and weeks doing liquid liner dot to dot until my own lashes grew back, including on my wedding day!!!
I hope no-one has the terrible experience I had, so make sure you look into it fully before going ahead.

sherbetpips Tue 13-Sep-11 12:57:30

my friend and i get them done at christmas before all the do's and parties (along with geleration nails) and then go back to normal after new year. they look fab and just add that little extra glamour. Wouldnt bother for every day though as they are flippin expensive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now