Talk

Advanced search

What products/any styling tips for curly hair that tends to go frizzy?

(12 Posts)
SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 11-Sep-11 21:27:48

After about 20 years of hating being in denial of my naturally curly hair, I've recently stopped straigtening it. I've had a lot of compliments but I'm still learning how to deal with it, as I'm so used to using straightening products and implements to get it as straight as possible that I'm not sure what products are best to use for curly hair. I want to encourage the curl and reduce frizz as it tends to go quite frizzy.

I'm currently washing/conditioning with Boots Naked Shine shampoo and conditioner, then I wrap up in a 'turban' type towel for 5-10 mins while I get dressed. I then put on Boots Curl Creme then Umberto Gianni Scrunching Jelly before diffusing. When I've dried it I put some Frizz Ease Secret Agent on which seems to enhance the curls and make them more shiney. It looks pretty curly at first but tends to have a 'dry, crunchy' feel to it when dry. By the end of the day/next day, it tends to look a bit frizzy, especially underneath.

Any advice or suggestions of products/styling tips would be greatly appreciated. In case it's relevant, it's about armpit length and I'm trying to grow the layers out and grow it longer.

tethersend Sun 11-Sep-11 21:30:20

Kerastase leave in conditioner for curly hair is amazing- not crunchy or heavy at all.

whojimmyflip Sun 11-Sep-11 21:36:52

fill a water spray with water and a bit of conditioner and spritz when hair starts to get frizzy. This is especially good for the following morning - it will reactivate product from previous day and reshape curls.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 11-Sep-11 21:39:41

Thanks, I've been thinking a leave-in conditioner might be a good idea. I can't afford Kerastase at the moment though - maybe in a month or two. Which colour range is it in? Might have to find a cheaper alternative in the meantime.

I've been scrunching my hair with water the day after I wash it but think I'll invest in a spray so I can add conditioner - great idea, thanks.

breatheslowly Sun 11-Sep-11 21:42:37

I don't follow all of this, but the curly girl method works well.

tethersend Sun 11-Sep-11 21:42:43

Second best is Boots pink curl cream,it's about £2. It's brilliant.

BikeRunSki Sun 11-Sep-11 21:44:20

Boots Curl Creme - dead cheap, pink stuff in a big pot - run through wet hair, not too much, magic. Even better mixed with a little ordinary conditioner.

Also - don't wash your hair every day - I do mine about once a week unless I have been swimming. My hair is much tamer if dirty and a bit oily. I do condition it in the shower though - no shampoo though.

QBEE Sun 11-Sep-11 21:51:06

Wash hair once a week max. If you home dye your hair then use your own conditioner after rinsing out colour and keep the tube of conditioner that you get in the box back. I have found that the excell 10 is the best for curl definition.
I have quite long gair and one yube can last around three weeks. I use a teeny blob and rub it between mt whole hands then smooth over lightly.

QBEE Sun 11-Sep-11 21:51:28

hair

QBEE Sun 11-Sep-11 21:52:24

tube* my* <gives up and pours another glass of white>

ineedsomepeaceandquiet Sun 11-Sep-11 21:55:16

I have a Brazilan Blowdry on my frizzy/curly locks every couple of months (Groupon or KGB Deals just have them for about £60 otherwise £200 which is too expensive). It takes the frizz out and makes my hair SO much more controllable.

SurprisEs Sun 11-Sep-11 22:05:22

Research the curly girl method. I have straight hair but today I started to research about it as my DD has very dry curly hair and I will certainly give it a shot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now