Talk

Advanced search

Capsule wardrobe or lots of purchases from cheaper shop?

(16 Posts)
KathMCB Sun 11-Sep-11 20:30:15

Am retuning to work after a year on mat leave. Going to a new job and need to project a very professional image (lot of presentations and face to face) I have some money saved to spend on a wardrobe but am not sure what to invest in and what to save on...I am six foot and a size 12 and struggle to find trousers that fit length wise. I tend to prefer smart dresses. Am also after a smart winter coat and some boots (size 9/43)

I have between £300 - £650 to spend.

Any ideas?

peasandlove Sun 11-Sep-11 22:41:54

I would check out the New Look tall range. They do great jackets here even just for your basics. I have bought work trousers from Top Shop that have been too long for me (also 6ft) and the Dorothy Perkins tall range is also very long legged for trousers. Maybe spend more money on the tops/blouses/dresses - from Long Tall Sally? although I'm not convinced their quality is any better than New Look to justify the higher prices.

peasandlove Sun 11-Sep-11 22:47:53

Long Tall Sally also do larger sized shoes, good luck here

TheGrassIsJewelled Sun 11-Sep-11 22:49:05

Next wide fit shoes are good for the large of foot.

Avinalarf Sun 11-Sep-11 22:53:19

How smart do you have to be?

I would get a decent quality: trouser suit, suit-style dress, black or dark trousers. Then go cheap for shirts, blouses, tops, jewellery, scarves etc.

I'm not a fan of Long Tall Sally, to be honest. They seem to cater for very tall women (I am 5'11 and a half and find a lot of their stuff too long).

ShirleySharpeyes Sun 11-Sep-11 23:17:36

Hello - I'm also 6', have a look in Gap for smart and long trousers, I have some very boring black ones from there, but they are perfect for work and come in a long length. I have also found some good stuff in Hobbs (their standard leg size is 33") and they do seem to cater for the taller gal. so maybe some of their dresses might be suitable? Also Banana Republic often have good stuff. Good luck with the new job!

ShirleySharpeyes Sun 11-Sep-11 23:21:31

Oh forgot to say - I think LTS is frumpsville, everything seems to be so voluminous and the fabrics are poor quality. But I concede they are OK for shoes I s'pose. Also here

herecomesthsun Sun 11-Sep-11 23:27:12

When I went back to work after maternity leave, I bought 5 kneelength machine washable dresses - I had an option for every day of the week and didn't have to bother about finding a top to match if I was in a hurry. Anything else was a bonus.

KathMCB Mon 12-Sep-11 09:27:48

peasandlove I had not even thought about New Look! Thank you.

Avin I need to be not uber smart (not suits every day) but certainly trousers, nice skirts and smart dresses with a few suits for bigger meetings.

I agree about LTS. I have never been able to find anything I like there. The dress idea is a good one.

Thank you!

RedRubyBlue Mon 12-Sep-11 09:32:01

I have a capsule wardrobe for wearing based on black, whites and greys. Sounds a bit dull but every top goes with every pair of trousers or skirt and I never have to worry in the morning. I just grab stuff out of the wardrobe and I am ready.

I now find it a bit annoying with my other clothes that I have a skirt that I can only wear with a particular top etc etc

zanz1bar Mon 12-Sep-11 11:31:44

Phase eight dresses are the perfect knee length on me 5 foot 11 inches.
Smart and easy to wash.

azazello Mon 12-Sep-11 14:50:24

Have a look at Zara too. They do very long trousers so at the moment (as I'm a 5'5" shortarse) I'm accessorising my trousers with a 7 inch hem.

MrsRobertDuvall Mon 12-Sep-11 15:49:46

I too am 6 feet...we need our own site ladies smile

I second Zara for length, also Dorothy Perkins do decent trousers.
I am off to Westfield this week for a look for autumn....I like Banana Republic.
l
LTS...hmm, the idea is there this year but I find it uberlong and crap fabric.
Also very expensive.

Mint Velvet tops are always quite long.

warmandwooly Mon 12-Sep-11 16:01:05

Have you got a designer outlet near you? Or high street outlet? I would say spend the majority of money on skirts trousers etc and go cheap for blouses/tops and then just put x amount away per month when you are working to update.

KathMCB Mon 12-Sep-11 19:22:08

Thank you ladies, this has genuinely helped smile

Avinalarf Mon 12-Sep-11 22:58:58

If you can stretch to it, the longer length jersey dresses from <sorry ladies> Boden are good for work, too. I second Phase Eight. Also Fenn Wright Mason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now