Talk

Advanced search

An unusual event and not sure what to wear

(14 Posts)
Fuctifano Sun 11-Sep-11 17:41:28

I'm doing a reading at a small local book festival. I want to look funky in a clever sort of way. I bought this today but really not sure
www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_017010524603_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EWomen%7EDresses
I have new boots that are black, low heeled with a buckle detail and would wear these with the dress (which is more like a tunic length on me) and good quality leggings. The draping detail does hide bulges nicely but I'm just not sure. Any thoughts?

ragged Sun 11-Sep-11 17:43:53

Would look great if you have a figure like the model.

Fuctifano Sun 11-Sep-11 18:04:40

Eh no... 5 ,6 14/16. Perhaps that's why it's more tunic and less dress as my curves raise the hemline. I have this too and wondered if it might be better
www.next.co.uk/x482058s1#735813x48 I also have high heeled tan brogues but due to my size would feel happier with leggings and boots.
Are you kindly telling me that the first is strictly for the very slim? Should I be looking smarter or embracing the creative vibe and going very casual?

HerdOfTinyElephants Sun 11-Sep-11 18:38:53

Are you busty/curvy? If so I don't think a high neckline will do you any favours.

ragged Sun 11-Sep-11 18:48:35

Curvy balanced hourglass fine, even with larger curves than model, But would not suit pear- or apple shaped, I reckon. I think there are better styles for both of those?

ragged Sun 11-Sep-11 18:49:01

Oh that's true, not good with very large bust, either.

scootergal Sun 11-Sep-11 18:57:19

I m no stylist ! I sometimes like stuff that people in general wouldnt like but here goes!>......I love the colour of the first one I think you could wear it if you re a size 14/16 cause as you say the ruching is in the right place.
I was going to say legging s and boots, are a little predictable - what about some brogues and tights (with some thick rimmed glasses to top it off)?
if you re more comfortable in the leggings and boots though I d go for that - last thing you want is to be standing fiddling with your outfit in front of the crowd .... or wishing you had worn what your gut was telling you in t he first place. I think olive green would be great with that dress - a leather short jacket over it maybe if you go for the boots and leggings look .....
Instead of leggings maybe think of tights ......
I d accessorise with some great jewellery ....
is it a day time or evening / night event?.....

Fuctifano Sun 11-Sep-11 19:01:50

I love this but it's way over my budget
www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_54510+201392765_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EWomen%7EDresses
I am busty and that is what is making me doubt the dress, although my teenage DD , who doesn't hold back liked it. I just have no frame of reference as to where to pitch my look for this kind of event.

I really like the shape of the first one. I've got big norks (32E) and am an hourglass shape (I think). I would be able to wear a dress like that if I put a jacket or cardigan over it to 'break up' the bustline a bit. I'd wear it with black opaques and quirky black wedges. Love the idea of a leather jacket over it too.

catsareevil Sun 11-Sep-11 19:16:58

I think that both of your choices are fine. When I have been at this sort of event authors tend to dress smart-casual.

KurriKurri Sun 11-Sep-11 19:22:09

I linked to that Phase Eight dress for someone on another dress, I love it. I reckon it would look great with some really bold jewellery, Shame its over your budget. I like your first dress too.

emsyj Sun 11-Sep-11 19:22:14

I have fairly big boobs and wear slash neck styles quite often. My wedding dress was a slash neck, but as it was properly fitted around the ribcage and waist it was fine - and of course you do need a properly fitting supportive bra.

High neckline + big boobs = disaster is just a myth.

KurriKurri Sun 11-Sep-11 19:22:33

another thread not dress

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sun 11-Sep-11 20:18:13

Go with the first one!!! It is lovely. I am very busty but could wear that with a good hoisting bra

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now