Talk

Advanced search

SLS free products - what brands CAN i use? please help!

(25 Posts)
Grockle Sun 11-Sep-11 09:09:15

I cannot use anything containing Sodium laureth sulfate but since it's in everything, I feel stuck.

What bath/ shower stuff can I use (I steal DS's atm)?

How about shampoo & conditioner (curly hair)?

I can only find a decent range in the baby section and I'd like something lovely for me that is easy to get hold of and doesn't cost the earth. is this possible?

breatheslowly Sun 11-Sep-11 09:31:11

I've been using the lavender conditioner from this range and will move onto the shampoo when my massive bottle of normal shampoo runs out. I got it from Ocado, but have seen it in other places. I wouldn't call it cheap though.

Havingkittens Sun 11-Sep-11 09:36:34

I use this range. It's also not cheap though. Lucky for me I get professional discount in Sally's so it doesn't work out too bad. All the cheaper SLS free shampoos and conditioners make my hair dry or fuzzy though.

www.amazon.co.uk/Argan-Secret-Luxury-Sulphate-Shampoo/dp/B0050HSTU6

caffinequeen Sun 11-Sep-11 09:40:59

How about Naked products (sold in boots, often 2 for £6 on the haircare products). Not sure of how good it is for curly hair...I use the one for straight/long hair. Bodyshop have also introduced a range which is SLS free (Rainforest I think) - haven't tried that yet.

Havingkittens Sun 11-Sep-11 09:45:49

Naked were, for me, the worst for drying out my hair. But they may work for you. My auntie swears by the "Yes to Carrots" range which you can also get on Amazon. I didn't get on with the hair products myself but their shower gel and face scrub are both lovely.

birdsofshoreandsea Sun 11-Sep-11 09:49:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlpinePony Sun 11-Sep-11 10:03:03

Burt's Bees.

dingdong3 Sun 11-Sep-11 10:07:02

Neal's Yard are all sls free. Smell gorgeous too and also free from lots of other nasty chemicals that are in most standard brands - things like parabens and mineral oils etc. I buy from a friend who's a Neal's Yard home seller and she always gives me half size shower gel for free with every order so I only pay for the shampoos and the freebie shower gel lasts for ages.

Chocchip88 Sun 11-Sep-11 10:14:10

For hair the Body Shop Rainforest range is SLS free, often on offer. Also I am pretty sure the shower gel I am using at the moment is SLS free, it's called Balance Me and it was free with Red Magazine! Not sure how widely available it is, but it smells lovely and is really moisturising - I'm using the orange one.

MissFoodie Sun 11-Sep-11 10:54:04

just reviewed a load, here you go:
http://yumetc.blogspot.com/2011/09/natural-haircare.html

FoofFighters Sun 11-Sep-11 11:16:51

I'm allergic to SLS too, it's so annoying as it's in everything, even baby products shock

I agree Body Shop Earth Lovers shower gels are great. Very gentle but foam up nicely, unlike many SLS-free products. The apricot one smells lovely smile

Their rainforest shine hair products are very nice too, I wash my hair with conditioner but I use this one to clarify and also add it to my conditioner mix. It also makes a nice shower gel if you run out!

TigerseyeMum Sun 11-Sep-11 12:10:27

Dr Organic range from Hollnd and Barett.
REN
NYR
Green People
Weleda
Earth Friendly Baby
Australian Organics
A lot of the organic type products are SLS free, usually found in Waitrose, J Lewis or H&B smile

TapselteerieO Sun 11-Sep-11 14:07:47

Faith in Nature - I have been using them for years, good variety for different hair types, value for money, quality, and last well.

Really not keen on Weleda for shampoo, though I like their moisturisers, or Waitrose organic range.

zipzap Sun 11-Sep-11 14:38:22

Korres stuff is lovely and I think it's sls free.

It's a brand started by some Greek homeopathic pharmacists and formulated to be all very natural and nice. Even my dh has started using their shower gel because he noticed the difference between it and his regular stuff (imperial leather or something similar if on offer at the supermarket) because he noticed just how much better his skin felt after using it.

It's about £7-8 a bottle for shower gel unless you happen to hit lucky and the have it at tkMaxx in which case you can get it for a couple of quid. So I tend to stock up when I see it! However they often have lots of brands of the more expensive stuff at tk maxx that are all organic and natural for reasonable prices - things like Savin de marseille and the organic one with happy in the name (can't remember name sorry!)

MissFoodie Sun 11-Sep-11 16:22:59

unfortunately Korres shampoos and shower gels do contain sulphates

Grockle Sun 11-Sep-11 17:03:50

I think I bees a trip to waitrose then. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Grockle Sun 11-Sep-11 17:04:52

Bees? I need a trip

Bloody iPhone!

cakeoholic Sun 11-Sep-11 19:07:09

Where do you live? Whole Foods on the King's Road in London has a good range of sls free stuff. I love lavera, it smells amazing.

If you can't get there lucy rose and naturismo both do free delivery and you can pick samples with your order.

TigerseyeMum Sun 11-Sep-11 19:15:56

I order stuff over t'internet as it can be cheaper.

scottishmummy Sun 11-Sep-11 19:23:02

mop organic c is v good

scottishmummy Sun 11-Sep-11 19:30:45

this site is sulfate free huge range products

EmLH Sun 11-Sep-11 19:31:27

Go to lovelula.com. It's a really good website and I think I'm right in thinking all their stuff is sls free. My favourite range is Lavera; got a lovely shampoo & conditioner for my birthday and they smell divine

MistyB Sun 11-Sep-11 19:32:55

I would second Green People products and it is good for my otherwise frizzy hair!! You can buy in bulk from Suma / Infinity.

I also love Space NK handwash and Liz Earle for skin care.

cakeoholic Sun 11-Sep-11 22:52:50

EmLH use the sites I linked above, they have free delivery so cheaper than lovelula, especially lucy rose, they do lavera and their delivery is so quick, the staff are fab too and really quick and replying to emails and very helpful

Grockle Thu 22-Sep-11 15:41:30

Is it all sulfates I should avoid or just SLS? I've noticed that most things that don't contain parabens/ SLS DO contain other sulfates. What is it exactly that I am meant to avoid? My dermatologist just said SLS and 'anything that bubbles'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now