Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have found (what I think is) a fab pair of boots in M&S - what do you think?

(21 Posts)
ceebeegeebies Sat 10-Sep-11 22:53:46

Was in M&S today and saw these.

Have been looking for a pair of boots to wear with boyfriend jeans in the winter and think these fit the bill.

I am not committing some major faux pas am I? grin I am due a major shopping trip in a few weeks with money in my pocket (thanks to mine and DH's overtime) and am looking for ideas.

moondog Sat 10-Sep-11 22:54:48

Mmm.
Not bad.
Seen better thoguh.
Have you checked out John Lewis?
They always have the best selection.

PetiteMum Sat 10-Sep-11 23:07:13

Seei guess it depends on your personal style. Too macho for me... Can't pull it off without looking a bit butch. But really like the look on others..... Erm not helping am I? They seem ok but have seen nicer ones around

www.clarks.co.uk/find/department-is-women/producttype-is-boots/subproducttype-is-midcalfboots/product-is-20348330

ceebeegeebies Sat 10-Sep-11 23:18:54

Petite I do like those ones from Clarks but the M&S ones are so much cheaper so I am very tempted.

Need to try them on really to see what they are like - although I did pick them up today and they felt lovely and soft. Bargain for less than £30!!

Tortoise Sat 10-Sep-11 23:20:43

I like them.

Deuce Sat 10-Sep-11 23:21:17

Bleugh

Step away, or stomp away if you are wearing them. Unless you are a 'ake a stand' lesbian or a builder, they are shite.

Deuce Sat 10-Sep-11 23:21:56

*take not ake.

thisisyesterday Sat 10-Sep-11 23:23:55

beware the fake leather though! you might end up with stinky old feet

BikeRunSki Sat 10-Sep-11 23:26:58

I like them a lot but - hey ho - they don't go up to an 8.
And they are fake leather so will fall apart instantly.
But I like the style.

moonshine Sat 10-Sep-11 23:33:44

They do go up to an 8 - it's listed about half way in sizing list (I know, no logic to it)

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 10-Sep-11 23:40:33

I like them alot too. Agree re fake leather - have been there and they don't last more than a couple of puddles.

I much prefer them to the horrible slouchy crap worn by WAGs and wannabees, or worse, Uggs (shudder).

CointreauVersial Sat 10-Sep-11 23:49:41

I rather like them.

In fact, I might hunt a pair out myself. So there!

Ifancyashandy Sun 11-Sep-11 10:25:26

Zara have nicer, less blokey, ones.

BallantyneBird Sun 11-Sep-11 10:39:00

I like biker boots, and agree they are a lot classier than Uggs and Ugg stylee stuff. I don't think they look butch either.

Ideally go for a real leather pair though. If you type 'biker boots' into Javari you get lots of options, and you can search by price, colour, size etc.

GoodrickeCBlock Sun 11-Sep-11 14:02:06

I like them ceebeegeebies

FWIW I've had some great boots over the years that haven't been real leather. Sure, if given the choice I'd love to spend £100+ on some really good quality leather boots but sometimes that just isn't an option.

HallnotOates Sun 11-Sep-11 14:04:29

John Lewis??!!
For shoes?
Are shit

BallantyneBird Sun 11-Sep-11 14:33:57

You don't necessarily need to spend £100 plus, I bought some leather biker boots for £80 two years ago and they are still going strong, having been worn nearly every day right through two winters with lots of walking on wet school runs etc. So on price per wear were good value.

They were (later) reduced to about £55 in the sale, though obviously this isn't the best time of year to pick up boot bargains.

I've got a pair of textile boots as well - fluffy lined things - and although they haven't fallen apart they don't half pong! So much so that I didn't wear them at all last winter. However - as a last ditch attempt at resurrecting them I put them in the washing machine, and they came out looking fine. Still pong a bit though, sadly.

GoodrickeCBlock Sun 11-Sep-11 14:59:39

I know you don't need to spend over £100 Ballantyne, but its pretty hard to find real leather boots for less than about £60-£70, certainly when I've been looking in the last month.

Even the boots you are referring to, at £55 in the sale, are nearly double the price of the boots that the OP was asking about, which is a big difference.

I can't say I've had a problem with stinky boots, but maybe this is the one and only advantage of having permanently freezing feet, even in summer, they're never warm enough to sweat!

LordOfTheFlies Sun 11-Sep-11 16:05:01

I've got some M&S synthetic upper (ie plether) boots that are 2 years old and haven't fallen apart. Along the lines of a cowboy boot with buckles and a chunky 1" heel.

They do tend to come up on the big side, I had to put an insole in mine.

And no my feet don't get stinky grin

BallantyneBird Sun 11-Sep-11 16:15:30

Goodricke - ebay is worth a look, lots of leather boots (new and used) for much cheaper than £60-£70.

Agreed that if you don't have £80 you don't have £80. But my point is that it's better value to spend that on a pair of boots that you can wear in all weathers for several years, than spend £30 on a fabric pair that you may not be able to wear in the rain and will probably have to replace a lot more quickly.

Of course though it also depends whether you will want to wear them for a lot of walking in all weathers or not.

My particular fabric pair soak through in minutes when they get wet (they are suede-look). I think the fact that they literally absorb pavement crap so readily is the main source of the smell rather than my feet wink as none of my other shoes smell like these do. They are fine as fashion boots but only suitable for indoor conditions really.

BallantyneBird Sun 11-Sep-11 16:17:17

The ones the OP has linked to aren't synthetic leather, they are fabric from what I can see. Synthetic leather is a lot more waterproof and pong resistant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now