Talk

Advanced search

Fellow workers-on-your-feet-all-day. Recommend me some ultra comfy shoes...

(22 Posts)
TooManyBlossoms Sat 10-Sep-11 19:27:01

...that don't hurt my eyes when I look at them! I'm a student nurse, doing 13 hour shifts. My ultra cheapo shoes are making my poor tootsies ache.

I went looking for sensible, comfy shoes today, but they're all so bloody ugly! Why does supportive have to mean frumpy? I need them to be a full shoe, not the mary jane type, to avoid squelching round in urine-soaked socks all day.

AnnabellaFagina Sat 10-Sep-11 19:27:54

Hush puppies
Campers

ninjanurse Sat 10-Sep-11 19:31:41

I am a student nurse too and I wear Clarks Airwalk, they are pretty ugly but they are like wearing slippers too work. Ive had the same pair for three years and they are still great. Good luck in your training - what year are you?

TooManyBlossoms Sat 10-Sep-11 19:35:49

ninjanurse I went into Clarks today, and a little bit of me died inside grin. Guess I'll just have to put comfort over style. I'm in my 3rd year, qualifying in January. I've had the same pair of rubbish shoes since I started, but these long shifts are killing me! Good luck to you too smile.

haveigotnewsforyou Sat 10-Sep-11 20:00:37

Clarks or Ecco.

If you are on your feet all day, you need to put comfort over style my dear! What you wear on your feet will affect your whole body and you really don't want to end up with back or leg problems in a few years time.

I'm a florist so am in a similar position. More chance of slipping over on a leaf than a pool of urine though. I really don't care what people think but am probably a little older than you! (Not caring comes with age!)

Try Gabor - somebody on here recommended them to me and I bought some sandals in the summer which I really rate.

Clarks are hit and miss. Some lovely styles and some terrible ones and some are comfortable and some are hideous. Unfortunately, you can't tell that until you've paid for them and worn them a bit. One pair that were gorgeously comfortable in store turned out to be dreadful if walking more than a mile or so.

newbielisa Sun 11-Sep-11 11:13:15

There's only one option, it is an expensive one but know loads of nurses who wouldn't wear anything else. MBT's they're not the prettiest things but as well as being comfy they sort out posture by helping to align centre of gravity etc.... and they will last for ages.

faustina Sun 11-Sep-11 12:26:17

I've just spent three weeks as a pretty constant visitor in an intensive care unit, and I have to say almost all the nurses there were wearing MBTs. those who weren't ,were wearing Fitflops (the closed ones obviously)

AutumnWitch Sun 11-Sep-11 19:23:05

Another possibility if you really can't stand the look of the others is a really good pair of insoles (sorbothane or the like), put them in before you buy, and a waterproofing spray.

Or accept that your uniform includes dull/comfy shoes and really over-compensate when you're off-duty and go super-glam grin

jenniec79 Sun 11-Sep-11 19:24:44

Fit flops have black and white theatre clog shaped shoes which are wonderful; leather, quiet, beautifully comfortable and may or may not have toning qualities!

chickenlickin Sun 11-Sep-11 19:49:27

I am a midwife and work 13 hour shifts and have just got some fitflop pro's. They are THE BEST work shoes I have ever had. They leather black (or white) cloggs with back strap. Will try and link. I could only find the pro's on the actual fitflop website. They have all the non-slip sole bla bla bla and anti bacterial insole etc. Cost £50. Previous to this I had clarks air walks or hush puppies and I found my feet got really sweaty and swollen!

mythical Sun 11-Sep-11 19:52:51

i work on my feet a lot as well. i just bought some slippers for work.

yep slippers. they look like moccasins. and i won't walk to work in them but i wear long trousers to work and the only thing you can see is the top of the shoe and the tassels - they're suede and got them for £18

link

i might be slightly mad but they are so comfy!

chickenlickin Sun 11-Sep-11 19:57:53

fitfloppros

chickenlickin Sun 11-Sep-11 19:58:50

oops didn't see jenniec79 post!!!

stripeybump Sun 11-Sep-11 19:59:49

M and S footglove are good - teacher here. They do stylish ones.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Sun 11-Sep-11 20:05:05

sounds mad but I have the asda george version of the M&S footglove things & I am on my feet for 9 hrs a day,I come home with no foot pain at all,they are leather,cheap as chips & are lasting really really well.Will definately be buying another pair of them (hwever they are not attractive but then that's not my priority ) grin

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 11-Sep-11 20:11:48

I was just about to start the same thread. not a nurse, but I can find myself on my feet all day, especially when on call. I have just got myself some pretty fugly clarks for wearing with long trousers which almost cover them entirely. I will be watching avidly for more recommendations for smart yet comfy shoes.

For those who don't have to wear uniform, I prefer to wear skirts/dresses so that I can wear comfy, flat boots. M&S have hundreds of pairs.

jenniec79 Sun 11-Sep-11 21:54:35

Yup Chicken - that's a link to my new theatre shoes!

Great minds and all!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 11-Sep-11 22:05:10

I would say MBTs as well. I spend all day on my feet and have back problems which have been a lot better since getting ine.

TooManyBlossoms Sun 11-Sep-11 22:57:39

Ooh those fitflop ones look good, although I seem to remember reading that we have to wear shoes with a full back. Mind you my trousers would cover the backs of my feet.

MBTs sound good too, but as a student (ie unpaid) nurse, they're sadly waaay out of my price range!

BallantyneBird Sun 11-Sep-11 23:03:44

C'mon, swallow your pride and get yourself a nice comfy pair of Crocs

Crocs professionals

faustina Mon 12-Sep-11 07:38:14

I saw some of the nurses wearing the fitflop laceups - their trainer thingies - which are on sale at the moment in most places - you might be able to shop around?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now