Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How does 'the older woman' wear these above the knee 'tunic' dresses...

(41 Posts)
Erebus Sat 10-Sep-11 16:59:51

... that are everywhere this autumn?!

Thick black tights and high boots? Jeans? Leggings (and what?)

I cannot bear that 'too short a dress' look on a woman the wrong side of 40 unless she's really well preserved and willowy (and that ain't me!) so that's to be avoided BUT I do like the look of these 'dresses' and they are ubiquitous, but I don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb!

Advice?!

dexter73 Sat 10-Sep-11 17:05:00

Skinny jeans or leggings underneath I suppose.

MotherPanda Sat 10-Sep-11 17:05:30

with trousers or jeans i would say - or perhaps leggings with boots. this is how my mother does it(43).

Erebus Sat 10-Sep-11 17:10:26

How your mother does it? I am older than your mother! grin How can I possibly be OLDER than other women's MOTHERS?!

Erebus Sat 10-Sep-11 17:11:02

What about the tall boots? Can 'the more mature' woman still wear them?

talkingnonsense Sat 10-Sep-11 17:12:26

I'm 40 and I would wear above knee dresses with tights and long boots, or leggings and biker type boots. Do not feel like mutton so far!

MerylStrop Sat 10-Sep-11 17:12:31

leggings or skinnies

tights bad unless legs superb

just because they are ubiquitous doesn't mean they are a good idea. i've dabbled, esp post pregnancy and it is comfy. but most people look better wearing something with a waist.

SazZaVoom Sat 10-Sep-11 17:12:43

I bought some nice thick leggings in DP's today. I actually thought they were skinny trousers on the mannequin. I think they will work with tunic dresses.

MerylStrop Sat 10-Sep-11 17:12:54

no issue with the boots imo

Flowerista Sat 10-Sep-11 17:15:07

Opaques and either boots (day) or high patents (eve). Warmer days leggings and ballet pumps.

nickelbabe Sat 10-Sep-11 17:16:18

brightly coloured winter tights/ opaque tights and boots.

not shoes, they look a bit funny.

SazZaVoom Sat 10-Sep-11 17:16:32

I see they are Treggings WTF? confused

KurriKurri Sat 10-Sep-11 17:16:59

I am 51 and wear them with skinny jeans underneath, <mutton and proud of it emoticon>

KurriKurri Sat 10-Sep-11 17:18:09

I do not wear leggings, treggings, jeggings or any other species of egging with anything though.

noddyholder Sat 10-Sep-11 17:21:01

I am mid 40s and wear short dresses with tights and shoes or long boots. I have one on today with grey ribbed footless tights and strappy sandals.

MotherPanda Sat 10-Sep-11 17:22:12

Sorry Erebus sad I am a young mum, and my mum was a young mum - which certainly has its downsides too! however - i still hate revealing my legs to the world! Am very keen on my leggings. and boots.

stripeybump Sat 10-Sep-11 17:24:09

High boots yes but flat ones not heeled IMO. Thick woolly tights.

limetrees Sat 10-Sep-11 17:31:07

I think it's more to do with body shape than age really as there isn't much flesh on display. I have no boobs, but small waist relative to hip size and these tops make me look about 2st heavier than I actually am.

stripeybump Sat 10-Sep-11 17:33:55

Really lime? I'm pear-shaped and find A-line short tunics the most flattering shape by far. Big-boobed ladies I would've thought find them not so flattering as they just hang from the boobage area.

Bellavita Sat 10-Sep-11 17:39:10

Well I am 46 and I wear tunics with leggings/jeans/boots in winter. I also have a couple of short winter woollen dresses thatni would wear with thick patterned tights/heels or boots.

In summer, I wear dinky dresses over leggings with flats.

I am not willowy in the least! I am 5ft.

llandb Sat 10-Sep-11 17:50:53

What mother panda said about trousers and jeans. I serendipitously stumbled across the concept that a short tunic would look better on me if I viewed it as a top, not a dress. So over wide-leg linen trousers or jeans gets my vote.

Actually this style is a necessity for me now that my size has skyrocketed. But even when I was young and slim (sigh, violins), I was hourglass-shaped and had solid legs. I wish I'd known of the combination of a-line dress and wide-legged trousers back then.

Henrythehappyhelicopter Sat 10-Sep-11 17:56:41

You just described my outfit today, I am 49 and 5ft 2.

How do I pull it off, just lost three stone.

Other than that good quality leggins.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 10-Sep-11 18:01:55

MotherPanda - do not post on here about your 43 year old mother. There are plenty of other forums more suited to youngsters!! gringrin

As an ancient 42 year old I wear them with thick tights and flat boots if the tunic is on the long side, or leggings/skinny/narrow jeans and ballerina pumps or boots if it's on the short side.

Bellavita Sat 10-Sep-11 18:02:52

Well said Maisie grin

ChristinedePizan Sat 10-Sep-11 18:19:27

I do what maisie does too (am 46 I think. Or possibly 47. I have slightly lost count and told people that I was a year older than I was for quite a long time blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now