Talk

Advanced search

why does hair dye not take on the top 1cm of my hair?

(11 Posts)
booyhoo Sat 10-Sep-11 11:37:21

just that please. is there anything i should be doing to make sure it does take?

Imnotaslimjim Sat 10-Sep-11 11:38:28

Are you sure you're getting it right to the scalp? If so, do that bit first and let it have longer (as if you are doing a root touch up)

booyhoo Sat 10-Sep-11 11:48:39

yep i rub it into the roots really well. the thing is (now this might not be very coherent) my hair is long, the dye takes really well to the 3 inches below the top 1cm and then not so well to the hair below those 3 inches (i am guessing because that hair has old dye in it) so what i was doing was applying the dye to the bottom of the hair and leaving on for 20 minutes, then putting it on the top 3 inchesd leaving on for the last 10 minutes. it still takes realy wel to the top 3 inches, not so well to the bottom hair and not at all to the top 1cm.

confused

ScarletLady01 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:52:26

IF you've had anything peroxide based on your hair in the past it will affect porosity and therefore how well it takes the dye. My hair is bleached from half way down and dye (even permanent) practically falls out of it from there downwards.

I'd add to your roots first to be honest, it's what I always do. What dye are you using and what have you used in the past?

booyhoo Sat 10-Sep-11 11:58:44

it' only a krazy colour, my hair is pink, it is permanent but because its pink, it fades really quickly. my hair is naturally medium- dark brown, ihave had vey dark brown in then the hair dresser did a clour strip, put in some bleached strips to pick up the red colour she put in, then it faded so i did swarzkopf home dye fromthe luminance range, but it went too dark so hair dresser did thered again butnot very well so i have done the pink twice now. i'm going to do it today again and will try doing the roots first.

i know you are all screaming "LEAVE YOUR HAIR ALONE!!"

ScarletLady01 Sat 10-Sep-11 12:42:15

Are you putting the pink dye on virgin brown hair (ie are your roots brown).

I'd be very surprised if it would take anyway on brown hair. It doesn't take on mine without bleach and I'm dark blonde.

Home colouring is a fine art. I've been white, blue, pink and I'm now red. It's hard work isn't it?

booyhoo Sun 11-Sep-11 18:13:33

it certainly is!!

yes it's going on virgin hair. i think i'll let the hair grow down a couple more centimetres then get some very fine highlights through the layer just under the top layer of hair so it doesn't look like i have very bad roots.

Laurale31 Sun 11-Sep-11 18:26:35

It's got to go on your roots first,even for 10 mins then even 20 on lengths and ends, I'd say youd have to have your hair all roughly one colour before putting pink on , like bleaching it , if it's all different shades to start with it'll look patchy no matter what u do. It's hard getting it all even, good luck, I'm a hairdresser but really struggle to do my own, just away to do it tonight! And mines is all different colours the now so wish me luck!

booyhoo Mon 12-Sep-11 11:04:08

thank you, i think i am lucky that because my hair is dark the patchyness doesn't show up. the roots dont look too dark and i dnt want to bleach al over as it will dfinitely lookpatchy then ass there areso manyother layers of colour underneath.

daenerysstormborn Mon 12-Sep-11 11:18:31

if your hair is long, it might be that you need to use 2 boxes of dye.

booyhoo Mon 12-Sep-11 12:29:26

no it is literally just the top 1cm of hair that doesn't take, essentially the regrowth since the previous colour. one bottle of dye is more than enough i usually have some left over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now