Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy castor oil?

(16 Posts)
bigfatgypsy Sat 10-Sep-11 09:06:10

Does anyone know if you can buy castor oil from the high st or do I need to order it online? I tried Boots, Holland and Barrett and a Lloyds chemist yesterday but none sold it. I want to try the OCM.

ImeldaM Sat 10-Sep-11 09:20:47

Did you ask at the counter in the chemists you tried? Surprised they don't have it.

bigfatgypsy Sat 10-Sep-11 09:35:27

Yes I asked at the counter at boots and at the chemist, and asked a member of staff at H&B. The lady at boots said they didn't sell it any more as it used to be sold as a laxative but has been superseded by other products now. I thought H&B would have it but no.

LoveInAColdClimate Sat 10-Sep-11 09:39:09

I got it from Lloyds - they had to order it in, though.

LaDolcheRyvita Sat 10-Sep-11 10:22:52

Had to get mine off the Internet. No where stocked it on the high street!

CakeandRoses Sat 10-Sep-11 10:32:40

couldn;t get it on the high st either - i got mine from amazon

LaDolcheRyvita Sat 10-Sep-11 10:38:01

Yes, that's right..... Got mine from amazon too!

MissFoodie Sat 10-Sep-11 11:50:26

amazon, organic too

moragbellingham Sat 10-Sep-11 12:02:45

I got some in Tesco - can't remember if it was from the Pharmacy bit though.

cruelladepoppins Sat 10-Sep-11 19:08:08

I got mine at the local independent chemist - had to ask as it's not out on display - they gave me a bit of a 3rd-degree about what I wanted it for (I think in case you are trying to give it to children as a laxative!)

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 10-Sep-11 19:10:21

What's the OCM?

I had heard that pharmacists can be reluctant to sell it in case you're trying to use it to start labour, but that may be an urban myth.

PinkOlives Sat 10-Sep-11 22:42:49

I was told that I would find it in Indian supermarkets/shops for use on the hair. And I did! Next to the other hair products.

HipHopOpotomus Sun 11-Sep-11 00:43:24

You will probably have better luck at an independent chemist than boots. I get mine from local indie chemist.

kmarie2011 Sun 11-Sep-11 10:17:32

Cold-pressed castor oil has long been known as the "palma christi" or "palm of Christ" because it is known for its ability to speed the healing process. If you mix a little cold-pressed castor oil with bicarbonate of soda to make a paste, you can apply this mixture to a plaster and put it on warts as a treatment. If you continue this for just a couple of weeks, the wart will disappear and never resurface. Castor oil is an amazing substance; when I was little (and still to this day) any bump, cut, or bruise I had my mother told me to "Put some cold-pressed castor oil on it!"

If anyone knows where to get ahold of it, I wanna know too! I haven't seen any Indian shops yet but I'll check!

bigfatgypsy Mon 12-Sep-11 08:02:09

Maisythemorningcat OCM is the oil cleansing method - if you google it there's lots of info. It's a way of cleansing your skin using a combination of oils, the theory being that oil-on-oil works by 'melting' the oil in your pores and clearing them out better than the usual creams/cleansers you can buy in the shops. I have rosacea (mega sensitive skin) though so I'm a bit hesitant but still keen to try it.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Mon 12-Sep-11 17:25:24

Thanks Gypsy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now