Talk

Advanced search

Have you a remedy for long torso/high waist-wielding woman?

(19 Posts)
CakeandRoses Sat 10-Sep-11 08:15:17

I'm the owner of a very long torso/high waist coupled with curvy hips which is a total pita combo for finding flattering (and comfortable) trousers, jeans and skirts.

I bought some Levi Curve IDs after recommendations on here and they are the most flattering and comfortable jeans i've ever had. Annoyingly only the dark navy skinnies look good on me - the lighter ones and the other styles looked shit.

Altho the Curve IDS are meant to be high waist they still fall below MY natural waist so i could happily go higher.

I'm trying to break out of my reliance on dresses since having a House of Colours image day and rediscovering my style mojo - I NEED some more jeans, trousers and skirts.

I'm a size 10 in dresses and a size 12 in jeans (due to aforementioned hips).

Any ideas on brands, styles etc I could try please?

talkingnonsense Sat 10-Sep-11 08:33:51

I'm long bodied ( but dont have hips) and I often layer tops to break up the length- I let t shirts or shirt tails hang out under jumpers or cardis. If I wear wide leg trousers I have big heels to balance my proportions out.

Fuctifano Sat 10-Sep-11 08:55:55

I'm blessed with a waist ( well a very slight indentation) that is so high it falls about an inch below my armpits. These have been great for me - I also like the skinny version. Not, I hasten to add, that I would ever wear something tucked in! They sit on my stupidly high waist and also hold my tummy in.
www.next.co.uk/x4864s6#492509x48

CakeandRoses Sat 10-Sep-11 10:30:01

fruc ah! i actually stopped a woman in the street the other day to compliment her on her high-waisties - and they were from Next too. I haven't ventured in there yet but it sounds as tho i need to. any joy with trousers?

i guess you don;t have the digging-in/muffin top problem if you don't have hips talking, you lucky thing?

i think i'm a freak of nature having a long torso AND curves. i have a pronounced waist as well as wide hips and look best when clothes are close-fitting to show my narrowest bit otherwise i look as wide as my hips are.

chocolateteabag Sat 10-Sep-11 19:36:31

I have a long back/high waist too. I've ordered a custom made dress off ebay from China. The seller has 99% positive feedback on 4500 posts and took lots of time over my measurements (even came back to ask if I had a high waist after my second set of measurements).

If the dress (this one in Navy)) is ok, I'm going to order some trousers from them next.

Hobbs do some sailor style trousers which have high waist too. I think there is a 20% off code kicking around somewhere on here at the moment.

FoofFighters Sat 10-Sep-11 20:06:27

I am the same. High waists have to be pretty high to sit in the right place on me and not give me a camel toe. Really annoying!

I have some lovely high-waisted black formal trousers that I got from Topshop. Their high-waisted skinnies are also a very good fit. Give them a try smile

CakeandRoses Sun 11-Sep-11 08:30:26

yay - more fellow high-waisties! nice to know i'm not on my own.

chocolate custom-made - what a great idea. would love to know whether you're pleased when you get it

foof will def wander into Topshop then. i find so many supposedly high-waisted stuff a complete disappointment so it's so helpful to get recommendations from fellow high-waisties!

fuct yesterday i bought some Next high-waist skinnies - i'm not sure about them yet as i like a bit of stretch in the fabric and this are rock-hard but they do come up pretty high smile

i also grabbed m&s grey high-waist skinnies yday. they feel way comfortable but need to check if its possible to style them unmumsy or not

FoofFighters Sun 11-Sep-11 08:34:57

Are those the black Next skinnies, cake? I tried them on and they have zero give, I thought I was going to burst all the seams grin

CakeandRoses Sun 11-Sep-11 19:32:33

they're blue ones but sounds like they provide the same effect! why do shops still make jeans without any stretchiness? so bloody uncomfortable.

i'm actually quite pleased with the M&S mumsjeans. i wore them today with riding boots and i think they looked ok. i even managed to eat a huge roast dinner and not feel that uncomfortable or over-flowing.

talkingnonsense Mon 12-Sep-11 12:35:54

M and s ones sound good then! I might try republic.
I have terrible muffin top Cake, because jeans just slide down over my useless hips! My waist is only very slightly narrower than my hips. Un healthy I know and I am trying to address it. I used to love new look hula jeans but they stopped doing them sad

CakeandRoses Tue 13-Sep-11 08:44:15

i don't want to big the m&s ones up too much as i haven't washed them yet and seen how they'll look then but they are a super-barg at only £12.50 so def worth a shot. you def need to make sure the rest of your style is very unmumsy tho!

talking can you report back on the republic ones please?

oh and while i think of it...leggings: i could never get them to stay up or not create awful muffin top until i started buying over-the-bump maternity ones one size smaller than i am. they are the only things long enough in the body to get enough purchase, high enough up to stay up and they don't dig into my hips. i don't wear leggings often but they're nice instead of tights with jumper dresses etc.

now, trousers and skirts.... what do you all do about them?

talkingnonsense Tue 13-Sep-11 09:13:52

I thought the baby bootcut republic jeans were mentioned here but maybe it was another thread. Going to blue water tomorrow so will have a look.

FoofFighters Wed 14-Sep-11 20:31:20

Cake is it these skinnies? I fancy trying them but not if they are going to split when I bend my knees!

talkingnonsense Wed 14-Sep-11 20:33:15

Well the republic jeans were not for me, unflattering on the crotch. Nice soft denim though. Bluewater lovely and quiet today.

CakeandRoses Thu 15-Sep-11 20:44:38

yep that's the jobbies foof, try them tho - you might think the v high waist outweighs the cardboard fabric

talking sorry i did chuckle at 'unflattering on the crotch' grin i know what you mean - some of these high-waisted jeans are made for normal-waisted women and so when we pull them up to the heights of our waists, there's no crotch-space!

FoofFighters Thu 15-Sep-11 20:58:26

camel toes a go-go grin

I've ordered the cardboard ones for a go!

CakeandRoses Mon 19-Sep-11 23:58:49

i was wrong about the next cardboard ones - give them a chance.

i was having a fat day when i first tried them but tried them again the other day and they were great, looked perfect and really softened up after a while.

they look much better than lots of high waisted ones because of the 3 button design - it doesn't look like your crotch area goes on for miles even tho it does

chocolateteabag Tue 20-Sep-11 22:18:35

I have just got my dress in the post from China from this ebay seller: Toprunway. And it's fab!

Ordered quite a simple one from this site and picked a dark navy fabric. The seller came back a couple of times to double check the measurements I sent through (long back you see). It has taken 20 days to then get the dress. It fits like a glove and is decently made. They've sent me fabric swatches which is good as some of them are quite different to the pictures on their listings.

I think I'm going to order some trousers next.

CakeandRoses Wed 28-Sep-11 00:04:01

i'm really pleased for you chocolate!

please let me know how the trousers turn out if you do as i'm sorely lacking trousers and can't find any that are in any way flattering. how much are they?

oh and i did definitely judge the Next jeans too harshly. i LOVE them now - i reckon they might be even better than the Levi curve. i looked tiny in them tonight - no muffin top at all smile and really comfortable now the cardboard effect is easing off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now