Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tu jumpers with flared, handkerchief hems. Could a fat bird wear them?!

(13 Posts)
Erebus Fri 09-Sep-11 09:40:47

Wish I could link!

Saw a nice winter jumper in Sainsbo's yesterday, long sleeved and increasingly flared from beneath the under-arm down to a 2 pointed handkerchief hem, the points being at either side.

I really don't know if this would flatter or further emphasis an size 16 (18?!) hourglass figure with a big bum!

Help!

LaDolcheRyvita Fri 09-Sep-11 09:44:35

I think if the sizes on the racks feature your size, that's an indication!

I have those style tunic-type knits to wear with jeans..... I'm a typical pear shape and I think they look nice.

polyhymnia Fri 09-Sep-11 10:25:40

Well, I'm large (and tall) and that sort of thing looks dreadful on me - the 'ship in full sail' effect. Love tunics, but much prefer something that defines my hour glass figure more. But haven't seen these particular jumpers.

piprabbit Fri 09-Sep-11 10:31:37

The only problem I have had with tops that have that sort of handkerchief hem, is making sure that the shortest bit is still long enough to generously cover my tummy.

The long bits at the side look fine, but then the hem curves up towards my belly and somehow the curve seems to accentuate my belly, possibly because a normal top may look slightly shorter at the front as it goes over the tummy so a top that actually is shorter at the front fools the observer into thinking the tummy is huge.

Does that make any sense at all?

polyhymnia Fri 09-Sep-11 10:39:36

Pip - yes, perfect sense - that's another problem I've found with them. Length looks OK at back but at front there's a major camel-toe risk!

I think there are still far too many 'handkerchief'/ assymmetric tunics around, specially iin less expensive retailers. I've yet to see one look good on any size.

tethersend Fri 09-Sep-11 11:56:26

I am size 16 hourglass- I avoid tunics like the plague. Waisted dresses suit me best.

The jumper you have described I would also be avoiding like the plague, for two reasons:

1. The inverted V or U shape it creates is very unflattering
2. It sounds bloody awful

polyhymnia Fri 09-Sep-11 12:45:39

I don't avoid tunics which allow definition of my waist, either through their cut or because they look good with a belt. These look good on me with jeans or trousers that fit my long, slimmish legs closely.

But I do avoid those of sort OP mentioned, for the reasons above.

Erebus Fri 09-Sep-11 13:05:04

So that'd be a 'no' then! grin

tethersend Fri 09-Sep-11 14:28:07

An emphatic one grin

polyhymnia Fri 09-Sep-11 17:24:33

Yes sorry.

Erebus Fri 09-Sep-11 19:40:27

this shape

but in jersey- jumper material.

A no go, I take it!

polyhymnia Fri 09-Sep-11 19:49:50

Have to say that is exactly the shape I was on about - not flattering on those of us who are larger - in fact, IMO not flattering on anyone. Can imagine Per Una have lots of things like that ...

grumplestilskin Fri 09-Sep-11 19:52:36

not flattering, ok if you are tall and have big long legs jutting out from under it, but otherwise would make you look much larger IMO. I'm a short 14 and would look an 18 in that! I need to wear stuff that shows that I do go in A LITTLE under my boobs before going back out again (even if its not in as much as it should be!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now